Greens on cup trail

PUBLISHED: 09:46 27 November 2009 | UPDATED: 15:46 03 July 2010

Gorleston 2, Sheringham 1

GORLESTON progressed to the quarter-finals of Norfolk Senior Cup, but were made to battle all the way by a spirited Anglian Combination Sheringham side, writes David Hardy.

Gorleston 2, Sheringham 1

GORLESTON progressed to the quarter-finals of Norfolk Senior Cup, but were made to battle all the way by a spirited Anglian Combination Sheringham side, writes David Hardy.

Darren Cockrill came into the back three for his long-awaited return as the Greens looked to book their place in the last eight.

Sheringham started the better. Simon Robinson had a chance in the second minute, but Elliot Pride was out quickly to save.

However, in the fifth minute a cross from the right by Tom Graver looked like being a straightforward catch for Pride at his near post but somehow he fumbled it and the ball went into the goal.

The Greens responded well, Luke Goreham, skipper for the day with Eddie Thompson missing through injury, was thwarted from close range by Sheringham keeper Andrew Jackson who then grabbed an attempted lob by Kevin Howes before denying Goreham again.

Gorleston should have equalised after half an hour when a terrific Steve Taylor cross gave Howes a free header, but he didn't get a proper connection and it went wide.

Sheringham broke from a Greens attack and won a throw near the Gorleston box. As the ball came in, Abbs' shot rebounded off a post and Graver was first to react to tuck the ball in - but Sheringham's joy was cut short by the sight of the linesman flagging for offside.

Before half-time Forbes had a good shot straight at the keeper and then a Taylor corner was punched the wrong way by keeper Jackson, but defender Steve Jordan was on the line to clear. Howes headed over the resultant corner.

Sheringham started the second half with a great solo run from Jonathan Abbs before he was bought down. Thaine Hacon scuffed the free-kick wide.

Gorleston were back on level terms when a penalty was awarded after the ball struck defender Hooker's arm. There were no appeals, but the referee pointed to the spot and Howes stepped up to confidently convert the spot kick.

Three minutes later another Goreham corner found Richard Gillings seven yards out and he tucked the ball under the keeper into the goal to put the Greens ahead.

Taylor then beat the offside trap, but Jackson was out quickly to save at his feet.

Sheringham looked set to equalise on the hour mark when a deep cross was nodded back across the box to Robinson who was alone and close in, but a brilliant save from Pride kept the ball out.

The game was becoming stretched, but Gorleston were passing the ball well with John Bell pulling the strings in midfield.

Bell's quick free-kick gave Forbes a chance, but he shot over. Kristian Gleave then drilled a free-kick narrowly wide of the top corner of the Gorleston goal.

Both sides changed formation. The Greens switched from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 with the introduction of Michael Tacon, but it was Pride who produced the next save, from an Abbs shot.

Sheringham bossed the closing stages, but Cockrill should have marked his return with a goal four minutes from time with a free header four yards out. But he planted the ball onto a post.

Sheringham, with a patched up side that never gave up, arguably didn't deserve to lose.

The quarter-final draw will be made tonight on Radio Norfolk at 6.30pm and the matches are scheduled for January 9.

Other sides still in this year's competiton are Spixworth Utd, who put out the holders Kings Lynn Reserves, fellow giant killers Mattishall, who knocked out Diss, Norwich Utd, Dereham Town, Cromer, Loddon and the winners of the Yarmouth/Wroxham replay next Tuesday.

Other Great Yarmouth sport

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Acle United Women moved to the top of the ERWFL Premier Division after a 1-0 victory at Haringey Borough.

Martyn Sinclair and Adam Mason didn’t have a win to cheer them after their 50 mile charity walk despite a brave show from the young Bloaters.

Friday, November 30, 2018

An injury-time penalty condemned Gorleston to their third defeat in a row.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

This newspaper and Bullards are offering four lucky people the chance to spend an exclusive day behind the scenes at Norwich City Football Club’s training ground.

Most Read

Mon, 18:00

School trips usually involve taking children to see one of Shakespeare’s great plays or visiting a historic museum.

Read more

Plans for a former pub to be turned into a luxury tobacconist have been put under fire by a nearby health centre, with bosses arguing it would “give out entirely the wrong message”.

Read more
Mon, 11:42

Would you like to play a major part in restoring one of Great Yarmouth’s most historic tourist attractions to its former glory?

Read more
Barry Coleman
Mon, 09:21

A joyrider was arrested after crashing into a traffic bollard - and was found to be more than three times the legal driving limit when police breathalysed him.

Read more
Great Yarmouth police
Yesterday, 14:29

The inquest into the death of a three-year-old girl who died after being thrown from an inflatable trampoline on Gorleston beach has been adjourned because a police report into the incident is not ready.

Read more

Local Weather

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 4°C

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy