Greens salvage a point

PUBLISHED: 11:00 03 October 2008 | UPDATED: 11:56 03 July 2010

It was a pulsating match at Emerald Park on Saturday when Gorleston entertained high-flying Halstead. The visitors had only conceded three goals in the league this season.

It was a pulsating match at Emerald Park on Saturday when Gorleston entertained high-flying Halstead. The visitors had only conceded three goals in the league this season.

There was great news for Gorleston fans prior to the match when it was announced that Lee Hunter had returned to the club from Kirkley.

He had made a great impression as a striker at Gorleston last season scoring 22 goals in the first four months before being transferred to Kirkley. He was named as a sub.

Kyle Howell was injured and Steve Taylor moved to right-back. Taylor has been a tower of strength in midfield this season and has become a firm favourite with the fans. Ricci was suspended.

Harry Maddison, a youth team player last year, led the attack. It was a very fast game with Halstead an impressive side all round.

Their twin spearhead of Ray Turner and Chris Bryan posed a threat but they were well marshalled by Gorleston centre-backs skipper Eddie Thompson and Adam Thurtle. Lee Harwood, normally a defender, played in midfield alongside John Bell.

Nathan Thompson came close for Gorleston when he fired a shot over the bar.

He has been playing wide on the right instead of his customary role of striker and he worked hard and I'm sure the goals will come.

Chris Bryan was booked for Halstead for throwing the ball away and was rather lucky to stay on the field after this when he committed a similar offence. On 14 minutes Halstead took the lead when a quick break saw Ray Turner run through and fire a low shot past keeper Tom Marsden.

The second period continued at the same high tempo and Gorleston brought on Lee Hunter and Gary Ingram and looked more dangerous with their speed causing problems to Halstead's defence.

A well constructed move down the right involving Nathan Thompson and Steve Taylor saw Lee Hunter send a header just over the bar. Centre-half Tom Devaux was a tower of strength for Halstead.

On 84 minutes Gorleston equalised when a flowing move saw skipper Eddie Thompson fire the ball home from close range.

To the dismay of the home fans Halstead snatched the lead back with a goal a minute later. Gorleston lost possession in midfield and Halstead broke through for Ray Turner to give keeper Tom Marsden no chance with a fierce drive.

Gorleston's heads did not drop and they went all out on the attack and in the 90th minute were awarded a free-kick outside the area.

Gary Ingram took the free-kick

and, to the delight of the Greens' fans, drove the ball low past the wall and inside a post.

Gorleston: T Marsden. Steve Taylor, B Manning, L Harewood, A Thurtle, E Thompson, J Bell, N Thompson, H Maddison, P Lambert, L Goreham. Subs: G Ingram, L Hunter, J Long, R Harman, H Clements.

This Saturday, Gorleston play Gayton away in the Norfolk Senior Cup (2.30pm).

Gorleston Reserves are also away, at Walsham-le-Willows (3pm).

If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury