Greens share spoils
A BELOW par Gorleston picked up a valuable point at Whitton United on Saturday.The Greens were without Kevin Howes and Luke Goreham, but Adam Ferguson was back from suspension with manager Richard Daniels trying a new system of five across the middle.
A BELOW par Gorleston picked up a valuable point at Whitton United on Saturday.
The Greens were without Kevin Howes and Luke Goreham, but Adam Ferguson was back from suspension with manager Richard Daniels trying a new system of five across the middle.
Gorleston started playing down the slope in an unfamiliar red and black strip, but it was Whitton who created the better chances early on with Elliot Pride holding onto a Matt Cunningham header.
The Greens' took the lead after 21 minutes when a speculative shot from Adam Mills went under the keeper.
The visitors were applying most of the pressure, but Whitton looked a threat on the break with several quick players in attack.
The second half saw the Suffolk side playing with the slope and they used it to good effect with a couple of long range efforts.
- 1 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 2 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 7 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 8 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 9 Gorleston traders remain positive despite cost of living crisis
- 10 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
The Greens still posed an occasional threat, with Peter Lambert just failing to acrobatically connect with a Steve Taylor cross.
Tom Daniels then came to the rescue for Gorleston blocking a Jerrell Layne shot.
It was only a brief reprieve, as minutes later Layne raced through the Greens' defence and round Pride to tuck in the equaliser.
Taylor almost won it in the final minutes latching on to a through ball and beating the keeper with a shot that drifted narrowly wide.