Greens strengthen for challenge of top flight
Gorleston manager Richard Daniels has been busy strengthening his squad ahead of the Greens’ return to the Ridgeons League Premier Division.
Last week he secured the signings of Tarren ‘Taz’ Grint from Kirkley & Pakefield and Ian Morgan from Dereham Town.
Grint can play in a number of positions and has worked hard to establish himself in Kirkley’s first team over the past three seasons.
Morgan is a midfielder who played over 20 first team games for the Magpies last season, helping them to win the Norfolk Senior Cup, and to runners-up spot in the Ridgeons Premier.
Also joining the Greens is striker Christy Finch from Lowestoft Town. Finch spent last season on loan at Needham Market and proved a success at Ryman League level. Finch is only 18 but is hot property, with many clubs touting for his services.
Returning to Emerald Park is John Bell. He left the Greens last season but has returned looking fitter than ever.
He first played for the Greens in 2007 and, so far, has made 94 appearances, scoring nine times.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 3 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 4 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 5 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk this week: Soldier who raped child and man who stabbed ex
- 7 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 8 Stephen Mulhern comes to Yarmouth in tonight's episode of In for a Penny
- 9 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 10 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
From last season’s promotion-winning squad, Elliot Pride, DJ Kareche, Eddie Thompson, Adam Thurtle, Chris Sandford, Gary Williams, Steve Taylor, Kyle Howell, Darren Cockrill, Aaron Huggins-Bowers, Ally McKenna, Mitch Forbes, Thomas Daniels and Bradley Hough have all stayed.
Also re-signed so far and staying loyal to the club are Elliot Hannant, Jack Garrod, Adam Mills, Simeon Lee, Simeon Randell, Harley Peek, Paul Atkins, Nathan Welton and Kyle Ingram.
With a couple more set to sign after their holidays, and previous new signings Matty Potter, Olly King, Sam Giacomelli and Josh Armes already on board, Daniels looks to have built a strong squad.
Gorleston had their first pre-season game at Holt on Tuesday night and came away with a comfortable 5-0 victory in what proved a good workout.
The goals were scored by Mitch Forbes, Christy Finch, Scott Woodgate, Olly King and an own goal.
The new players gelled well with last season’s players, showing strong passing and good movement off the ball.
Next up is the Norwich City game on July 16, kick off 3pm.
The draw for the League Cup first round has been made and Gorleston will be away at Diss whilst, in the Youth Cup preliminary round, the Under-18s will be at Kirkley & Pakefield. Dates for these games are still to be confirmed.
On a very sad note, Gorleston lost a legend last week when Herbie Mather passed away.
Herbie had been associated with the Greens in various capacities for many years, dating back to the days at the Recca. Condolences go to his family from everybody connected with Gorleston FC.