Greens' unbeaten run stalls

Debenham LC 3, Gorleston 0THE Greens lost valuable ground in the Ridgeons League Division One promotion race Tuesday night when they surrendered their three-month unbeaten league run to fellow challengers Debenham LC at Maitlands.

Debenham LC 3, Gorleston 0

THE Greens lost valuable ground in the Ridgeons League Division One promotion race Tuesday night when they surrendered their three-month unbeaten league run to fellow challengers Debenham LC at Maitlands.

Two goals shortly before half-time put the skids under Gorleston, but despite a better second half a third Debenham goal scuppered any hope of a come back.

Having failed to profit from one of their games in hand on the leading group, Gorleston will be looking to get their challenge back on track tomorrow when they make the longest away trek of the season, visiting Godmanchester Rovers.

The Greens will be looking for their first ever league point at Bearscroft Lane. Having played there twice since relegation to Division One, they have been beaten on both occasions.

Gorleston 3, Stowmarket Town 3

Most Read

A goal down within seconds, two down by eight minutes, the Greens fought back to lead only to concede an equaliser 90 seconds from time on Saturday.

With another enforced two-week lay-off behind them, Gorleston were back in league action at Emerald Park hoping to complete a league double over Stowmarket, having won 5-1 at Greens Meadow at the beginning of December, writes Simon T Ball.

The visitors were looking to extend a good run at Emerald Park where they had lost only once in their five previous visits.

There were two changes to the Greens' starting line up Louie Turner playing in defence in place of the unavailable Eddie Thompson and Gary Todd wore the No 9 shirt with Gary Ingram beginning a three-match suspension.

The game burst into life straight from the kick-off with the visitors taking the lead with only 35 seconds on the clock. A cross from the right was turned onto the bar by Greens' keeper Tom Marsden but Phil Deller following up was able to bundle it home.

With only eight minutes gone there was further disaster for Gorleston when Stowmarket were gifted a second goal. An aimless cross field ball from Gary Todd presented the ball to Deller, and he took it on before lifting it over Marsden and into the empty net.

Three minutes later Gorleston were forced into an early change when Louie Turner limped out of the action to be replaced by Harley Clements.

Gorleston were gradually starting to get into the game but too many misplaced passes saw the visiting defence looking comfortable. John Bell almost got Gary Todd in the clear but Stowmarket keeper Ross Charters was out quickly to snuff out the danger. Ricci Butler shot over for Gorleston from a good position and then Todd, Bell and Peter Lambert almost carved out a chance before Bell then shot straight at Charters with anther effort. The half came to a close with the Greens still struggling to get on the scoresheet.

Stowmarket almost added a third five minutes into the second half. A corner from the left from Warren Taylor-Holt wasn't cleared by the Greens defence and Ricky Deasy ghosted in at the far post, but his effort was just over the bar.

Eight minutes into the half and Gorleston finally forced Charters into a save worthy of note. Peter Lambert picked up the ball around twenty-five yards out and his shot looked destined for the top corner but the keeper produced a fine save to fingertip the ball onto the bar and over.

The match finally turned in Gorleston's favour in a 10-minute spell either side of the hour mark. First Nathan Thompson crossed from the left for John Bell to put the Greens back in the contest with a near post finish and then Thompson was fouled in the area and Ricci Butler crashed home the penalty off the underside of the bar to level things at 2-2.

Bell then almost put Gorleston in front but Charters produced another good save to deny him. The Greens by now had the wind in their sails and Butler produced a superb defence-splitting pass for Thompson to run onto and put them ahead for the first time.

Gorleston were now looking good for another important victory but the game took one final turn with just ninety seconds left. Stowmarket were back on terms when Austen King got up highest in a crowded penalty area to head home the equaliser and give the visitors a hard earned point.

Gorleston: T Marsden, L Turner, L Goreham, R Fruin, A Thurtle, K Howell, J Bell, P Lambert, G Todd, N Thompson, R Butler. Subs: R Harman (for Todd 73mins), H Maddison (Butler 80mins), H Clements (Turner 11mins).

Stowmarket Town: R Charters, R Deasy, J Turner, J Graham, A King, C Leys, W Taylor-Holt, G Ward, P Deller, T Cracknell, J Ward. Subs: C Brown (Deller 68mins), S Barnard, D Pleasance (J Ward 54mins).

Referee: J White, Assistants: D Fairhurst, A Kemp.