Greens up to fourth in league

Diss Town 2, Gorleston 3Gorleston moved into fourth place in Ridgeons Division One with a derby win at Brewers Green Lane on Tuesday ahead of tomorrow's trip to second-placed Ely.

Diss Town 2, Gorleston 3

Gorleston moved into fourth place in Ridgeons Division One with a derby win at Brewers Green Lane on Tuesday ahead of tomorrow's trip to second-placed Ely.

For Diss it was their third successive home defeat, although they got off to a perfect start with a goal after just four minutes as Luke Catchpole netted.

The Greens were level after 11 minutes when Luke Goreham played the ball to Peter Lambert and he floated the ball high over Michael Hilton, who was well off his line.

A well-timed run by Gary Todd saw him put the Greens 2-1 ahead in the 24th minute, but Catchpole equalised with his second goal of the night in the 35th minute.

Todd pounced on a poor clearance from Hilton in the 42nd minute to net from 35 yards to complete the scoring.

Most Read

Gorleston 1, Godmanchester Rovers 0

SATURDAY'S match at Emerald Park was vastly different to the away game six weeks ago when Gorleston triumphed 4-3.

They took the points this time to complete a league double in a match of few chances by virtue of a 90th minute goal, writes Mick Heard.

Peter Lambert scored the winner to add to the three goals scored at Godmanchester. He has now scored 10 goals for the Greens this season from his midfield role - shades of Steve King.

Again the teams had to contend with a very strong wind. This was not one of Gorleston's better performances, but with 76 goals they are the highest scorers in the table, and have a goal difference of 30-plus.

Louis Turner came into the team at right-back with Kyle Howell among the substitutes and Ricci Butler came in on the left of midfield with Luke Goreham on the bench.

There were very few goalmouth incidents in the first half although Gorleston were stretched when a cross from the right came very close, only to be cleared at the last moment.

Nathan Thompson got onto a cross from the left and touched the ball into the net only for the goal to be disallowed when an alert linesman spotted a handball.

The second half saw keeper Tom Mardsen make one excellent save tipping a drive over the bar, and Gary Ingram cleverly back-flicked a ball narrowly wide and then blasted another shot over the bar.

Nathan Thompson got possession on the left, cut in and crossed a fine ball over but there were no Gorleston players to get on the end of it.

Gary Todd came on as a substitute and won a free-kick when he was held by a Godmanchester defender. Jack Marsden took the kick and swung the ball into the area and Pete Lambert rose and headed home past keeper Gavin Armitage. Three minutes were added on but the points were in the bag.

Team: (4-4-2) T Mardsen, L Turner, E Thompson (capt), A Thurtle, J Marsden, J Bell, P Lambert, R Fruin, R Butler, G Ingram, N Thompson. Subs: K Howell, G Todd, R Harman, L Goreham.

Prior to the match I had the pleasure of presenting a trophy to Gary Ingram on the pitch in front of the fans to mark his achievement of scoring 201 goals for the club. Then David Gall presented Gary with his trophy at Player of the Month for March.

Once again the reserves had their match at Scole called off (waterlogged pitch). This coming Saturday they travel to play Reepham Reserves.