Hanagan a possible for Yarmouth races
THE race for the 2010 jockeys’ championship is coming to an exciting conclusion.
It’s a north versus south battle between the leader Paul Hanagan and his closest challenger Richard Hughes.
Neither has yet taken the title which has been dominated over the last 10 years by Kieren Fallon and Ryan Moore. It is decided on the greatest number of winners, in contrast to the trainers’ championship which is determined by total prize-money.
Hanagan has led the championship for long periods of the season which began in March and finishes in the first week of November.
Richard Hughes is banned next week for a riding offence at Wolverhampton Racecourse, so he won’t be making his first appearance at Great Yarmouth Racecourse since 2007.
But there’s every chance that we might see Paul Hanagan for his first ride at the racecourse this year at the penultimate fixture next Tuesday. His last winner at Yarmouth was two years ago.
Hughes returns to the saddle the week after next and, with the only flat racing in Britain apart from Great Yarmouth being at Catterick Bridge on Tuesday, October 26, it is to be expected that he will be riding in Norfolk.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
The first race at Great Yarmouth Racecourse on Tuesday is at 2.20pm. Admission is �20 to the Premier Enclosure and �13 to the Grandstand and Paddock Enclosure. Online booking is at www.greatyarmouth-racecourse.co.uk where discounts are available in advance. Accompanied children under 16 are always admitted free of charge at Great Yarmouth Racecourse.