Heads held high in cup defeat
Broadland-Great Yarmouth 6, Holt 29A WIN in the first round of the Norfolk Cup last Saturday was always going to be difficult for Broadland-Great Yarmouth against a team who play in a league above the Yarmouth Side.
Broadland-Great Yarmouth 6, Holt 29
A WIN in the first round of the Norfolk Cup last Saturday was always going to be difficult for Broadland-Great Yarmouth against a team who play in a league above the Yarmouth Side.
Broadland started well and were able to contain the Holt attack through a strong defensive display.
Holt kicked a penalty mid way through the half to take the lead, but this was matched minutes later as fly-half James Doggett put Broadland on the scoreboard through a penalty kick.
Broadland's scrum was solid and the line-out was working well. It was, however, the Yarmouth side's counter-rucking that was disrupting Holt, No 8 Adam Towfighi was able to steal a number of balls at the breakdown, providing Broadland with a chance to clear.
Wings Jared Webster and Joe Payne both had testing runs, but with limited space neither had the opportunity to break free. Webster came close to a touchdown following a cross-field kick but the ball rolled out of play, just out of reach of the winger.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 4 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 7 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 8 Charity football match to boost Norfolk and Waveney MIND
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
Holt did cross the try line, but a second penalty from Doggett left Broadland trailing 10-6 at the half.
The second half saw Holt begin to exert increased pressure, and eventually Broadland began to run out of tacklers.
Chris Calnon and Kieran Wilkes provided some fresh legs to the Broadland pack, but once Holt had turned momentum they kept pushing Broadland back.
Three Holt tries put the game beyond reach, but Broadland gain considerable credit for an admirable performance against higher-level opposition.
Tomorrow Broadland-Great Yarmouth play host to Harwich and Dovercourt in the league, kick-off is at 2.15pm at Cobholm playing fields, Great Yarmouth
Man of the Match: Andy Riches.
Team: J Sewell, J Webster, A Lightfoot, P Buckley, J Payne, J Doggett, S Ruddick (capt), R Gallie, R Bilyard, S Tubby, A Riches, R Chidle, C Hewitt, R Ruddick, A Towfighi. Replacements: C Calnon (48, K Wilkes (55).
Pen: Doggett 2 of 2.
For more information on playing rugby, youth or senior, or becoming involved in helping run the only rugby club in Great Yarmouth visit www.broadlandrfc.com