Hemsby FC finish encouraging season in fine style


- Credit: Archant

Hemsby rounded off their Anglian Combination Division Three campaign by taking four points from their final two fixtures.

They won 3-0 at Norwich Ceyms Reserves before drawing 1-1 at Long Stratton Reserves.

Hemsby had the first chance of the game against Church when a corner was played into the box and Shannon Deeks got a header on target but it was adjudged to have been blocked right on the line. Then Grant Osben sent Kristian Sutton away and he raced goalwards with defenders struggling to keep up with him.

As he reached the keeper, it looked as though a defender had got to him, but he managed to get his shot away and past the keeper for a 1-0 lead.

In the sixth minute of the second half a free-kick by Reece Hooper, 35 yards out, sailed into the top corner, giving the keeper no chance for what was the Hemsby goal of the season.

It was then pretty much one-way traffic and with 10 minutes left, Sutton won the ball and sent subsitute Dean Sabine away and he kept his composure to finish well as the keeper came out to him, to register his first Hemsby goal.

The Mission man-of-the-match was Jonny Williams.

Most Read

Hemsby’s final game of the season was the reverse of the first game as Bank Holiday Monday saw an away trip to Long Stratton.

Hemsby went into this game knowing they would finish in the top 10 although a win would see them finish eighth and considering how many players had left in the summer and how the squad looked just before the season kicked off, this was a fantastic achievement.

The deadlock was broken by the home side in the 20th minute after Jonathon Peirce appeared to have been tackled from behind. The referee allowed play to continue and the winger whipped his cross in and with two players free in the area, one was picked out and his header beat Rui Goncalves.

The sides were level midway through the second half as Mikey Grayson sent a long throw into the area and as a defender attempted to stop Joe Kenny getting to the ball, he only succeeded in turning it past his own keeper to give Hemsby a much deserved equaliser in the last meaningful action of the game.

The Hemsby Sports and Social Club man-of-the-match was Mikey Grayson although he was pushed hard by Shannon Deeks.