Hemsby share the spoils after low-key goalless draw

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Hemsby welcomed Beccles Caxton to Waters Lane for the final home game of this season and with both teams knowing there was nothing on the result, it really felt like an end of season game. Following Hemsby’s excellent win away in the reverse fixture, it was felt that Caxton would come looking for revenge and they have also had some excellent results against the top four teams.

The game started off with Caxton having a strong breeze behind them, although it was the home side who created the first major chance when Joe Kenny was sent away but as he made his way into the penalty area, the goalkeeper came out and managed to thwart his effort with a very good block.

A minute later Hemsby got lucky when a long punt forward really should have seen the visitors’ striker score, but luckily for the hosts he blazed over.

For large periods of the half it was the visitors who controlled the game and created the better chances and although Rui Goncalves didn’t have any real saves to make, he did have a free-kick to face that saw a comfortable save and another effort go over the bar.

The closest Caxton came to opening the scoring saw their striker hit the post. Caxton were then reduced to 10 men when a player was booked for diving, adding to a yellow card just minutes earlier.

Instead of helping the home side, it seemed to dampen the game further and there was to be no further decent chances and the half finished 0-0.

Hemsby had new signing Shannon Deeks on the bench along with Grant Osben and Harlen Metcalfe finishing their match for the reserves before joining the first team.

Most Read

Shannon was introduced in the 55th minute and was hungry for the ball although there was still nothing decent created. The best chance of the second half came in the 75th minute when Grant was played in behind the defence and he finished really well, lifting the ball over the advancing keeper, only to see the flag go up.

There wasn’t much else to report on for the remainder of the match and it fizzled out to a disappointing 0-0 draw.

The Mission Man of the Match went to Kristian Sutton.

Hemsby return to action on Easter Monday (12) when they travel to bottom side Loddon United Reserves and are away again on Saturday week at Sheringham Reserves.