High fives for Goreham as Belton deliver
AFTER some recent lacklustre performances, Belton produced an excellent afternoon’s cricket at the County Ground in Horsford, completing a double and staking a claim for promotion in Norfolk League Division Two.
Inserted on a lush green wicket with ominously gloomy clouds scudding about, openers Day and Toll took a while to come to terms with a fine opening spell from Gilbert and Buxton.
Thirty-one runs had been painstakingly posted in 16 overs before Day was well caught by Lincoln, his partner also succumbing to the bowling of Saunders just nine runs later. Patel was baffled by Balcomb’s spin, but A Savoury (26) and Goreham (25) added 52 for the sixth wicket. Ali (36), Nichols (17) and Knight (28 no) also contributed to an acceptable team total of 176 for seven off 45 overs.
Horsford were soon in trouble after the tea break, the two-pronged attack of skipper Ali (three for nine) and the almost unplayable Salman (two for 13) causing havoc in their ranks.
At 10 for four, the home team was in total disarray as the stumps continued to fly out of the ground. Goreham came on and promptly hoovered up the tail, taking five for 31.
Knight bowled well without reward, the visitors polishing off a fine 98-run win before the rain clouds could spoil the party.
Tolly’s Tusker Man of the Match: Richard Goreham.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 6 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 7 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 10 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
Next match against Overstrand at home (Southtown Common, 2pm).