Howley on target as Broadland-GY step up the pace
Norwich Union 0 Broadland–GY 31
Broadland-GY moved comfortably into the second round of the Norfolk Junior cup as they ran in five second half tries against Norwich Union.
The first half was a dour affair as both sides failed to make an impact, Broadland managed a couple of penalty attempts, but the half concluded 0-0.
The Great Yarmouth side sprung to life in the second half, a bruising run from Kieran Wilkes took the ball deep into union territory, captain Phil Buckley was up quick in support and took the ball wide, before releasing Ash Sullivan clear to score in the corner and Murray converted.
Broadland maintained pressure and with a five-metre scrum awarded, Buckley picked and went blind offloading to Number 8 Adam Towfighi who waltzed over for a score untouched (converted Murray).
Centre Sean Howley had a storming 10 minutes as he bounced off tackles to score under the posts (converted Murray), and soon after broke clear again after slipping a would be tackler to score in the corner.
Broadland came close when Ed Dixon broke clear down the side-line, but was pushed into touch half a yard before the try line by the Norwich Union winger.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 6 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 7 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 8 Council defends cost of £70 posy vases amid criticism
- 9 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 10 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
Union cleared from the line-out but Broadland’s counter concluded as veteran centre Mark White, created some space to breeze over from 30 yards.
Conversions: Murray 3 of 5
Penalties: Murray 0 of 2
Tries: Howley 2, Sullivan, Towfighi, White.
Comm Tech MoM: S Howley
Squad: M Beckett, A Lightfoot, J Dwyer, K Wilkes, S Coleman, R Gallie, J Dudley, A Towfighi, P Buckley (c), S Murray, S Ledgerwood, S Howley, A Mossie , A Sullivan, T Weston.
Replacements: S French, S Ruddick M White, M Jerome, E Dixon
Broadland-Great Yarmouth 1st XV have a rest weekend, but there are two home games with the 2nd XV (Tigers) playing host to Norwich 3rd XV and the 3rd XV (Regulators) welcoming Watton 2nd XV.