Impressive Bloaters complete early league double over Wroxham

PUBLISHED: 08:56 13 October 2017

Action from Friday evening's clash between Great Yarmouth Town and Wroxham at the Wellesley. Picture: Darren Seely.

Action from Friday evening's clash between Great Yarmouth Town and Wroxham at the Wellesley. Picture: Darren Seely.

© DSS Digital Media

Great Yarmouth Town withstood a second half fightback from Wroxham on Friday to complete a superb league double over the Yachtsmen.

Playing only their second home league fixture of the season the Bloaters welcomed back Charlie Bartram, Haydn Davis and Mitch Forbes while there was a return to the squad for Chris Holmes, who took a place on the bench.

A good crowd of 161 were expecting to see a good contest, with the in-form visitors looking to avenge a 3-1 defeat earlier in the season. Amongst their starting line-up was former Bloater Connor Deeks, who left local rivals Gorleston earlier in the week.

The game could not have started any better for the home side as Sean Perfect was brought down in full flight and referee George Laflin had no hesitation awarding a third minute penalty which was converted by Forbes.

The visitors had their chances before Aaron Sanders fired in an excellent free-kick that was destined for the top corner until Viner flung himself across goal to deny the home side a second.

Sanders was again in the action as he chased down Ady Ager’s header at a corner. He managed to regain control and fired in a dangerous cross that was turned into his own net by a Wroxham defender to make it 2-0.

The visitors almost hit back immediately as Deeks was given the freedom of the Wellesley before firing in a shot that cannoned off the post. Seconds later it was 3-0 as a superb long ball from Forbes found substitute Miles Palmer who squared to Sanders. His close range effort was well saved but the rebound fell perfectly back into the path of Palmer who could not contain his delight as he fired home to make it 3-0.

After 10 minutes of the second half Ross Gilfedder was introduced in an attacking substitution for the visitors and he was soon on the scoresheet as he stabbed the ball home from an innocuous looking cross that was headed back into the area.

With 14 minutes left Gilfedder fired in a powerful shot that found the back of the net to set up a tense finish, with Deeks’ shot from close-range hitting the bar as the Bloaters managed to hang on.

Bloaters: Whatmough, Howell, Savage, Bartram, Ager, Andersen (capt), Perfect, Applegate, Forbes M, Sanders, Davis. Subs: Holmes, McAra, Forbes J, Palmer, Ford. Attendance: 161.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury