Ingram nets 200th goal for Greens
Gorleston 3, Long Melford 0THE Greens completed a league double over Long Melford at Emerald Park on Saturday and moved up to sixth position in the Ridgeons Division One table.
Gorleston 3, Long Melford 0
THE Greens completed a league double over Long Melford at Emerald Park on Saturday and moved up to sixth position in the Ridgeons Division One table.
They are the highest goalscorers in the division with 75 goals. Gary Ingram also made the headlines in this match by scoring his 200th and 201st goals for Gorleston.
The conditions were difficult with a very strong wind with spells of hail, snow and rain throughout. In spite of this, both teams played some good football, adopting a passing style, writes Mick Heard.
Gorleston took the lead after 16 minutes when midfielder Pete Lambert scored from close range.
Long Melford have recently appointed former AFC Sudbury defender Chris Tracey as their player/manager and he will surely prove a steadying influence upon a young team.
- 1 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 2 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 3 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 6 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 7 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 10 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
His team worked hard and Chris Daw, their striker, lobbed just over the bar.
Nathan Thompson broke through for Gorleston but Melford keeper Floyd Croll came out to make a good save when he dived at his feet.
Gorleston went two goals ahead after 41 minutes when John Bell sped down the right wing leaving defenders in his wake and played a low cross into the area for Ingram to bundle the ball home. Loud cheers greeted his 200th goal.
Keeper Tom Marsden tipped a shot from Daw round the upright just before half-time.
Both teams contested the second period well with Gary Ingram breaking through and being foiled by the combination of keeper and a defender at the last minute.
Long Melford substitute Luke Bennett, a recent signing from Histon, was twice foiled by fine saves from Tom Marsden who pushed his shots round the post on both occasions.
Gorleston again fielded a strong bench and Ricci Butler, Gary Todd and Louis Turner all came on for Luke Goreham, Nathan Thompson and Kyle Howell.
John Bell shot wide after a good run. Six minutes from the end, Ingram broke through and lobbed keeper Croll for a well taken goal No 201.
Team: T Marsden, K Howell, E Thompson, A Thurtle, L Goreham, R Fruin, P Lambert, J Marsden, J Bell, G Ingram, N Thompson. Subs: L Turner, G Todd, R Butler, R Harman.
In the clubhouse after the match Ingram was presented with a trophy to recognise his achievement of reaching 200 goals. Mick Heard presented this on behalf of the committee.
Tomorrow, Gorleston entertain Godmanchester Rovers at Emerald Park, ko 3pm.
The reserves travel to play Scole United Reserves.