Jockey Spencer left standing in stalls
THERE was drama at Great Yarmouth Racecourse as a horse left his jockey standing in the starting stalls as a race began.Former champion jockey Jamie Spencer was caught out as his horse reared just as the starting gates were about to open for the second race of the evening.
THERE was drama at Great Yarmouth Racecourse as a horse left his jockey standing in the starting stalls as a race began.
Former champion jockey Jamie Spencer was caught out as his horse reared just as the starting gates were about to open for the second race of the evening. He could only watch as the other horses - plus riders - raced away in front of him.
The two-year-old grey colt New Christmas had been favourite for the Grosvenor Casino Yarmouth's Premier Poker Room Median Auction Maiden Stakes, and punters voiced their frustrations both at the racecourse and on online racing forums.
Ironically, the incident denied Jamie Spencer the chance of a hat trick in the opening three races because he won the events either side of it.
The 11-10 market leader Theocritus took the Grosvenor Casino Great Yarmouth Claiming Stakes and Hightime Heroine (6-5 favourite) the Grosvenor Casino Roulette & Black Jack Maiden Stakes.
The dramatic second race was eventually won by Marrayah at 12-1.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 4 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
The 5-2 favourite King's Icon took the Grosvenor Casino Bar And Restaurant Handicap, while the Grosvenorcasinos.com Handicap went the way of 13-2 chance Dance Club under 1991 Derby-winning jockey Alan Munro.
The closing Grosvenor Casino Jackpot Slots Maiden Handicap was won by Veiled at 9-4.
The next racing at Great Yarmouth Racecourse is the traditional annual family fun day on Sunday 30 August. On-the-day admission is �19 to the Premier Enclosure and �12 to the Grandstand & Paddock Enclosure. Online booking is atwww.greatyarmouth-racecourse.co.uk where discounts are available. Gates open at 11.30am. The first race is at 2.20pm and the finale is at 5.50pm.