Junior and Youth football notes

BLUNDESTON MAGPIES put the disappointment of the last two weeks behind them in this second round cup game and although again players called off at the last moment leaving the bare 11 it didn’t take long for Magpies to score as Crowe centred and Spindler was on hand to tap in. The windy conditions made it hard work for both teams but all the Magpies players performed well and found themselves 4-0 up against the wind at half time. The second half started and Eastport straight from kick-off pulled a goal back and things evened out for a while but as soon as Magpies scored no 5 Eastport found the going tough and Magpies ended up winning very convincing. Scorers were Alex Spindler 5, a very good performance, Lewis Crowe 2 and a couple of assists another good game, Luke Salmon 1 put in a very consistent game as usual, Gav Rawlings 1 put in a tremendous midfield display, Etienne Lopes 1, a solid full back performance and an own goal. Eastport’s heads never dropped and they kept trying right to the end. Final Score: Blundeston Magpies 11 FC Eastport 3

CAISTER ROMA got back to winning ways with a 3-1 win over local rivals Caister A in a Wiltshire Cup quarter- final. With the wind mainly behind them in the first half Caister A started well with a lot of possession but could not get near our goal due to strong defending. Roma gradually took control and Karl broke away and coolly slotted past the keeper. Roma looked fairly comfortable and created chances but found the A team keeper in fine form. A speculative shot that got taken by the wind allowed Caister A the equaliser for 1-1 at half-time. Roma went on to dominate in the second half scoring two further goals, a Nathan header from a pinpoint Chris Salmon cross, and a shot come cross from Jamie that went in at the far post. Roma created many chances which were not converted due to some fine goal-keeping and some poor passing in the last third. An improved Roma performance but we can do better and will need to this week against our old friends South Yarmouth in the Burgess Cup.

CAISTER RESERVES welcomed third placed South Walsham to a very windy Allendale Road for this Anglian Combination local derby. Caister played in a changed 4-4-2 formation due to having two wingers available to provide width. Caister created a few chances but were foiled by some more than questionable offside decisions. At the other end the ever reliable Gillary in Caister’s goal was on hand to defy the impressive South Walsham number 9 with a fine last-ditch save. Caister battled really well and competed with their physical opponents in all departments Grant Johnson in particular was outstanding in midfield. The game changed with the introduction of Shane Smith into the forward line, he worked his socks off and on 55 minutes gave Caister the lead. He found himself bearing down on goal and netted with a fine shot. From this point on Caister showed amazing team spirit whilst South walsham crumbled. Smith got his and Caister’s second as he showed his excellent pace and determination to beat the advancing keeper to a looped forward pass giving him an open goal to walk the ball into.Gillary produced a great save towards the end from a South Walsham free kick as Caister clinched a good double over their opponents. MoM: Shane Smith, who has spent most of the season on the bench, showed great commitment to the side with an A1 attitude. He took his chance perfectly with two good goals and actually with a bit more luck could have grabbed a second half hat-trick. Next game Beccles away. Training 7.50pm on Tuesday at CHS.

CAISTER UNITED A had the local derby in windy conditions against Caister Roma. It looked to be a very stop-start game with the wind putting the ball out for a throw more often than not. Caister conceded the first goal however after some brilliant pressure, but a misplaced pass ended up with the Roma centre midfielder who slotted a pass through the defence for their striker to finish one on one with Alfie in goal. Caister continued their pressure and got their reward after Matty Applegate used the wind to his advantage, hitting a dipping shot from almost 30 yards over the goalkeeper to equalise. The game took a more physical approach after this with the referee giving free kicks both ways. Both sides got frustrated with this refereeing. The half time score was 1-1.

Caister started the second half sluggishly. Roma took the lead again after a good 10 minutes of pressure led to a corner, where their centre back finished with a precise header from six yards, beating the man on the post and Alfie. The starting and stopping of the game seemed to remind people of a game of rugby more than football. Roma got their third goal after continuous pressure with a cross from the left hand side bouncing over the defender’s foot and with Alfie already down believing it to be dealt with the ball ended up bouncing over him as well, giving Roma the two-goal lead they wouldn’t give up. Caister shuffled things about and brought Stuart Leyland on, who made an immediate impact within the team with his energy and presence allowing for much better passing and moving, which was shown with some brilliant play across the midfield, just lacking the final product. The game ended 3-1, a much improved performance than the previous two times against Roma.The A team need to start attending training, it’s a �1 for an hour and a half, be at Caister High at 7.50pm on Tuesdays.

CAISTER VETS return to action on Sunday at home to Scole (2ko). Meet at the Caister field at 12:45 sharp to assemble the goals. Squad: A Peace, M Mccreadie, M Jacobs, G Smith, A Gooda, L Haylett, J Crowe, W Hunter, D Sims, C Goffin, N Bowman, M Andrews, P Czajkowski, P Jacobs, M Wells.

GORLESTON RANGERS LADIES played Red Rose ladies in terrible windy conditions. Gorleston had few players out but with new arrivals Kim and Elisha the team battled well and it was a very even game until just before half time Sasha Dent delivered another sweet corner which went straight in to give Gorleston a 1-0 half time lead. With a couple of injuries things were changed around and Red Rose scored a very good equaliser with 15 minutes left but Gorleston kept working hard and with a 25-yarder Lauren Dennis fired home the all important winner. Well- deserved player of match went to Cyan. We need to be at our best against Mulbarton Belles this week. We urgently need a sponsor. Anyone who can help please call Steve 07403 395065 urgently.

Most Read

MK UNITED recorded an excellent 2-0 victory over a good and sporting Albion side in a game very well refereed by Brian Russell. On a very windy Magdalen good football was at a premium and the first half was fairly even, however the second half really belonged to us as we kept the ball on the floor and played some good football. It was no surprise when new signing Alex Panteli showed excellent awareness to set up Callum Ingram for the opening goal after 60 mins and 10 mins later swapped passes with Daniel Kemp before cooly rounding their keeper to score our second and cap a fine debut. This was an a very good all round team performance. A special mention for the two lads making their debuts Alex Panteli and Daniel Kemp with MoM being shared by Callum Ingram and Tom Mann. Next game v Gt Yarmouth United at Burgh Castle ko 2pm meet pub 1.10 or Burgh 1.30 sharp, call-offs Mick 07796 331860 asap. Team from : L Miller, Webster, D Ingram, Mann, Con Oxborough, Quinn, D Pasco, Panteli, B Ingram, C Ingram, Leggett, D Saunders, Kemp, Manning, Stu Reeve.

STALHAM TOWN RESERVES played Division Three Loddon Utd Reserves in the quarter final of the CS Morley Cup on Saturday. They were the highest placed team left in the competition with three Divisions separating us, but we started very well and were quicker to the ball and our passing and movement was superb throughout. Scott Charlton created a couple of good chances that brother Ross was unable to convert, although only the post saved them on one occasion with the keeper well beaten. However on 30 minutes Scott sent another perfect ball for Ross to control brilliantly and he finished clinically for 1-0. It was 2-0 when Michael Green’s measured pass found Ross who rounded the keeper, but as it looked as though he’d pushed the ball too far. He managed to keep it in, cut back and finish well past the three defenders who’d got back on the line. On 40 minutes the move of the match started by David Willis involved Ollie Eastwood playing a neat one-two with Danny Camish and then picked Scott out superbly who chipped the ball up and volleyed in from 25 yards out to make it 3-0. The wind was even stronger against us in the second but, we knew we just needed to keep the ball on the ground and our passing football would shine through. Jordan Barnard had a good debut in goal and never put a foot wrong, although he was rarely troubled. On 75 minutes we extended the lead to 4-0 when Michael Green’s inch perfect ball set Danny away and with his terrific pace he out stripped the defence, rounded the keeper to finish into the empty net. This was an outstanding display and we look forward to a semi-final against Corton Reserves. Marie Meale Photography Man of the Mach was Ollie Eastwood, outstanding display.


BOHEMIANS U10 were at home against Hemsby Hornets. The Bohs were on top form and dominated the game. Declan was excellent up front passing the ball well with Cameron. Leroy and Jack G both had a brilliant game in defence and made every tackle. Jack D again had a outstanding game in goal making some important saves. Harrison and Connor linked up well in midfield passing some excellent balls through to Billy. The game ended 2-0 and all the boys played a excellent and exciting game of football. Harrison (1) Connor (1) MoM: Jack G.

BOHEMIANS U13 GIRLS travelled to North Walsham today with hopes of a win to get them back on track following two defeats. The girls had to fight against terrible weather conditions. Bohs started with a good positive attitude and pushed the opposition back from the whistle. After a matter of minutes a loose ball found its way to Hannah in the area and she slotted it away to give Bohs the lead. The home team fought back and it was end to end for the rest of the half with both teams having their chances. The second half started with North Walsham on the attack and pushed the Bohs defence back. The game levelled with a very good long-range effort which was too good for returning Bohs keeper Izzy. The girls didn’t give up, and despite wet, tired legs they found the energy to keep pushing until Hannah found her second with a good headed shot over the keeper. An amazing performance by the team to secure a deserved victory. PoM: Beth, for an outstanding performance in defence.

BREYDON U12 travelled to Belton to play Bohemians on a very windy day. With both goalkeepers having to be on their guard from unpredictable cross balls the pattern of the game was eventually changed when Dani scored after a good through ball from Mathew to put Breydon one up. Shortly afterwards Kane latched on to the ball and a great long range shot found the back of the net to make it 2-0 at the half time whistle. At the start of the second half it was obvious that the Bohs had done their homework regards the wind and after some good moves they scored to pull one back which in turn led to an exciting final 10 minutes, With Breydon now putting pressure on the Bohs goal, they were awarded a throw in which enabled Callum to latch on to the ball and score a cracking goal which sealed the game at 3-1 to the Breydon lads. Well done to both teams for coping well with the conditions and thanks to the Bohs officials for a friendly, blustery day. MoM: Dom for a good all-round performance.

BREYDON UNITED U13 played in the quarter final of the shield at our home ground of Burgh Castle against top of the table Long Stratton. It was a very windy day so the lads where told to play the short pass along the floor, the sun was in the eyes of the Stratton keeper so we took advantage of that getting to half time 4-1 up from some brilliant football from all, working as a team and at the right time good individual skills. The second half saw a more determined Long Stratton side as they now had the advantage and they started to use it as they started claw the game back the score got to 5-4 to them with twenty seconds on the clock my mid field player Sam chipped the keeper to force extra time which after a brief rest and a chat we went back out and after a couple of minutes a great goal came from the lone striker Mitch to get us the win. It was a good game all round well played both teams. MoM: Brady. Goals by Mitch, Sam and Kyle H. We are still looking for players please call Daren 07535 696819.

BREYDON UNITED U14 played at Waveney Cougars on a very windy day. It was a really tight first half and neither team could break down the other. At the start of the second half both teams were again up for the fight but the change in ends and the way the wind was seemed to favour us a little more. Before long we took the lead with a well taken goal from outside the box from Connor and not long after he got his second after some great work from BJ and Brad. It was a great team performance again with all 12 players who were there Sunday giving it everything. Towards the end Waveney did get a goal back but luckily enough we held on for another well deserved 3 points. Well done again boys it’s in our hands now.

CAISTER ROMA CENTURIONS U11 took on Bungay on a blustery morning in the 2nd round of the Shield. Playing with the wind behind them Caister started positively and within 3 minutes had taken the lead when Harry scored with a shot from inside the box. More constant pressure led to Will pouncing on a loose ball to fire home from close range. Richie then received a good pass from Logan and ran at goal, his shot on the run took a wicked deflection and left the goalie helpless. Alex then got in on the scoring with a well-placed shot into the corner of the goal to give Caister a 4-0 H-T lead. Bungay still believed they could get the goals back with the strong wind behind them, but the Caister determination, tackling and commitment meant Bungay pressured but didn’t really trouble Jay, Daniel and the tenacious tackling of Richie at left back. Alfie pushed up into midfield again had a good game and Thomas in goal was only beaten late in the game. Thanks go to Harry who helped Caister out when Zak was taken ill. Final score: Caister Roma 4 Bungay 1. MoM: Alex a captain’s performance. Next match Hemsby Hornets Yellow (home). Team from Thomas, Daniel, Jay, Alfie, Richie, Will, Zak, Logan and Alex.

CAISTER ROMA CENTURIONS U11 still have only nine players for nine-a-side football and are urgently looking for two more players to play in NSYL Division One. The January 31 signing on deadline is only a week away; therefore this will be the last opportunity for any eligible players to sign on. This is a hard working and friendly team, if you are interested please contact the manager Phil on mob: 07759 269483.

COBHOLM U8 played at home this week against Hemsby in terrible windy conditions. Both teams played their part working hard up and down the pitch but in these conditions it was hard to play football. Two players for Cobholm worked that extra bit harder with Louie pulling of a few great saves, one in particular which he scooped off the line and getting some great kicks out. It seems he is now back to his bes. Thom put constant pressure on the Hemsby defence and goalie, creating plenty of chances in front of goal, which earnt them both MoM. Thanks to Anthony for stepping up to ref. Training Saturday 10, sharp.

COBHOLM U10 travelled to Long Stratton in windy conditions and came home with a well-deserved 3-2 win. With the bare seven players, Cobholm started the first half playing with the wind and from a corner early on, Tony scored his first goal for the club with a looping shot which nestled in the bottom corner of the net. The rest of the first half was almost all Cobholm pressure. The midfield of Kieran, Charlie and Taylor forced Long Stratton back and created a few chances for Dalton up front. A short through ball then left Dalton up against two defenders and with a neat shuffle he was past them and finished in the corner for a fine goal. At half time Cobholm led 2-0. The second half was a struggle against the wind and an improved Long Stratton team, but Tony and Byron held firm in defence. A few attacks from Cobholm led to a third goal, with another of Charlie’s specials flying into the top corner. More pressure from the home side followed and a long- range strike was carried by the wind and left Callum with no chance of saving. Breakaways saw Cobholm hit the post and go close a couple of more times. With only two minutes left, Long Stratton won a corner and a flicked header saw Taylor on the goal line just fail to keep the ball out to make the score 3-2. From the re-start, Cobholm’s midfield kept good possession to see the game out for a 3-2 victory. A great all round effort from the team and back to winning ways. Both Man of the Match awards this week went to Dalton Philpott for a super display in the first half followed by a hard working performance in the second half, coupled with his first goal for the club. Training this week 10 sharp and next match away to Waveney Lynx, kick off 11.00, meeting time to be informed.

COBHOLM U10 are still looking for new players for this season and for the next season at nine a side level. Players should be in Year 4 or 5 until September 2012. Any players interested please contact Manager Dean Walker on 01493 445115 or Assistant Manager Phil Whittle on 01493 304479.

COBHOLM U11 won 3-2 away to Caister Roma Gladiators. Cobholm who had the wind advantage in the 1st half, started slowly, and found it difficult to break through.A fter around 20mins Cobholm finally broke through, some quick passing in the Caister area and a good shot from Jake made it 1-0 to Cobholm. The game continued with Caister being strong, and a through ball and a good run past the Cobholm defence saw them score to make it 1-1 at HT. The 2nd half kicked off with Cobholm playing into the wind, and Caister took the lead after a great defensive header by Jordan got carried by the wind, took a big bounce over the keeper and into the net. Despite this, the Cobholm players kept their heads up, began to keep the ball down and play some great football. And with Jordan and Jake combining well down the right, a great pass saw Will F make it 2-2. Cobholm kept pressing and following another great run down the right by Jordan, new player Josh found himself in the box with the ball at his feet and scored the winner.. This was another hard working team performance, again coming from behind to win, which shows how much we have improved over the season. MoM: Jordan but every player played their part in the difficult conditions. Training 10am Saturday.

FC BRADWELL BRAZIL U9 were the host’s to Hemsby in the shield, on a very windy Mill Lane. It was always going to be difficult playing a Division One team, but Bradwell started off quite brightly, with Aidan getting stuck in right away. Connor got hold of the ball and ran but the shot went sailing wide. This seemed to be the story for Bradwell for the rest of the game. Hesmby took to the conditions much better, with some lovely flowing pass and move football. The Bradwell midfield of Aidan, Liam and Connor seemed to struggle with the strong winds, and getting any sort of hold in the game went passing by. Hemsby went in at the break 4-0 to the good. With a few words at half time the boys went out, and gave everything they had. Alex made a few good saves, but Fletcher, Harvey then the introduction of Bailey and Morgan couldn’t stop the Hemsby team. Final score 0-8.

Man of the match: Aidan.

The manager know’s all the boy’s put in 100%, and they all do their best. I am very proud of how much they have all come on, in such a short space of time. We just need to concentrate a bit more, and take what we do in training onto the pitch on Sunday morning’s.Thanks to Garemms and Church Farm for their sponsorship. Also to Steven for helping.

FC BRADWELL U12 BRAZIL played second-placed Bungay away without the influential Joe. Bradwell started superbly and were all over Bungay. Mitchell was very strong and hard working up front and won the ball himself and calmly knocked it in past the brilliant Bungay keeper to put Bradwell in front. With Bungay struggling to get passed the excellent Cameron, they won a dubious penalty which James saved with ease. However, Bungay did score late in the first half to equalise. Bungay then went ahead with a dubious free kick but Bradwell kept battling. When Bungay did get through the defence they found James in inspired form with 4 brilliant saves in the second half. With all Bradwell players at their best, Bradwell pushed forward looking for a late equaliser, as they often seem to do, however, this time Reece and Mitchell worked the ball to Ben who calmly slotted in for a well deserved equaliser, proof that these boys, with their fantastic hard-working, never give up attitudes are still improving with each game. Team – James, Cameron, Vash, Sam, Josh, Lewis, Reece, Max, Ben, Mitchell. MoM – James and Cameron, both of whom were awesome.

FC BRADWELL SPAIN U12 played against Sole Bay at the weekend. Bradwell started off in their usual manner with Bradwell taking the game to Sole Bay. However, after 10 minute Bradwell lost procession and Sole Bay broke well and their forward put the ball pass the advancing Shaun to put them one up. Credit to Bradwell as they were soon back on equal terms when a quick throw from Jack released Ben whose precise shot hit the back of the net. Although Bradwell kept the pressure on Sole Bay it was another break just before half time that put the visitors 2-1 up. The second half saw Bradwell dominate procession and after about 10 minutes Matthew found the net from an acute angle. This gave Bradwell the drive and belief in difficult conditions and from a wind-affected goal kick Jack was the first to react and he flighted the winner into the back of the net. Team: Shaun, Luis, Henry, Aaron, Oscar, Toby, Matthew, Connor, Jack, Ben and Alex. A big thank you to all the boys from both teams, parents and team officials of Sole Bay. MoM: Luis Boulton: A great man to man job which turned the match in Bradwell’s favour.

GORLESTON RANGERS U5/6 Due to restructuring of our younger groups there are a few places available in our Wednesday group 5-30 to 6-30pm. Venue Wroughton Junior School hall, Burgh Road entrance. Players should be in school reception year. Training is taken by FA level 2 coach. For more information telephone Chris on 01493 601256 or Graham on 01502 730923 or just turn up to training.

GORLESTON RANGERS OSPREYS U9 v Loddon Inter Grasshoppers U9 Shield Round Two. The game started with Loddon playing attacking football but were kept away from goal by Finley and Tristan making some great tackles. After five minutes a break from midfield by Josh opened up an opportunity for Jack M to score, after that Gorleston were playing some very good passing football, James set-up Josh to score and then he got a second just before half time. The second half started as the first finished with Gorleston playing good attacking football, Jack O scored a volley straight back from a Loddon goal kick, Reece battling in midfield passed to Josh to get his hat-trick and Curtis tackling well at the back meant that Luke had nothing to do in goal. A last-minute goal from Jack M meant the final Score was Gorleston Rangers Ospreys 6 Loddon Inter Grasshoppers 0. Team: Luke, Finley, Tristan, James, Josh, Jack M. Subs Curtis, Reece, Jack O. MoM: Josh.

GORLESTON RANGERS U11 Falcons defeated a sporting Harleston side to progress to the next round of the shield. Evan, Tom, Jack and Connor all got on the scoresheet. We are currently looking for a couple of players to add to the squad, interested players should be in school year 6. Interested players should be in school year six. Training is taken by an FA level 2 coach. For more information telephone Chris on 01493 601256.

GORLESTON RANGERS U12 BUZZARDS hosted St Benets Wasps Amber last Sunday. The game started well with lots of passing and moving. Jack scored the first goal of the game quite early on and Josh followed up with another fairly soon afterwards. Linards defending was superb clearing every ball that came his way and more. Callum worked hard in the centre of defence with Michael on the left alert to any dangers. In the dying seconds of the first half Dan had a shot at goal from a corner which just went over the bar. The second half saw more of the same commitment and energy from all the boys. Liam made some great runs down the wing and some good crosses into the box. William was applying strong pressure on the opponents and Ross kept his concentration well. Muhammed used his strength to keep the ball and used it well. George had another fantastic game in goal and Tommy came on for the last few minutes giving us a clean sheet. On the whole a brilliant performance from the all the boys showing just what they can do when they work together as a team and enjoy themselves. Final score 2-0. Goal scorers Jack (1) Josh (1). MoM Linards.

HEMSBY HORNETS U8 played away against Cobholm in very windy conditions and put in an excellent team performance. All of the Hornets players worked superbly hard and strong defending from Harvey, William, Maddison, Caitlin and Tyler helped Eden to her first and much deserved clean sheet. After some good battling in midfield from Tyler he played the ball to Haydn who applied a great finish. Even against the strong wind the Hornets created many chances with some quick attacks and good passing. Player of the match was hard to choose as everyone had a great game, but was awarded to Ryan for some excellent touches and great workrate. Special mention also to Daniel who is getting more and more confident with every match and was unlucky not to find the net when well placed. This was the best display by far in extremely testing conditions and it was great to see the whole team working so hard for one another. This level of performance is needed for the remainder of the season.Next match at home on Sunday v Halesworth Town kick off 10.30, players to be there for 10.

ORMESBY LADS U12 At home to Blundeston, Ormesby didn’t play anywhere near as well as the previous week and were soon a goal down. The midfield of Jamie, Antonio and Leon struggled to create anything and in defence Ralph, Ellie and Sam were allowing the opposition too much time on the ball. Callum shot just over after a good run and Leon made a couple of strong runs but with no end product. Andrew had to be sharp off his line on several occasions to deny the visiting strikers and Victoria made a number of important clearances. Blundeston doubled their lead before the break yet Ormesby still felt they could turn it round. Ormesby played better in the second half and Jordan put a good chance just wide and Callum got a shot or two away. Blundeston increased their lead before Jamie pulled one back, then Leon hit the bar. With the Ormesby players tiring Blundeston used their large squad to good advantage to finish 7-1 winners. This result was very disappointing as in truth Blundeston didn’t have to work too hard for the points. Let’s play like we know we can next match. MoM: was Andrew. No game this week.

SHRUBLANDS U10 were away at Kirkley & Pakefield, and didn’t show any effects of last week’s defeat. Shrubs settled quickly into their passing football, but Kirkley nearly scored from a quick breakaway, but the shot went harmlessly wide. Louis opened the scoring with Taiven (2) and Josh both also getting their names on the score sheet before half time. The second half saw lots of changes with all the boys getting game time, Henrique playing in the middle of the park and tackling very well. Izzy made a few great tackles but was not really troubled during the match. Some free-flowing football led to a further goal from Cameron who swept home from a great passage of play that went from our own half. Jaydn tapped home his second and the last goal after an unselfish pass from Shaun. Kirkley pressed for a consolation but found Lucas in fine form and the Shrubs goal was not breached. The whole team played very well and deserved the win.

SHRUBLANDS U11 travelled away to FC Bradwell in the U11 Shield. Despite the heavy winds the game started well with both teams playing good football. Bradwell took the lead but then Shrubs fought back to lead 2-1 with goals from Marshal & Lumpy. The first half ended 2-2. The second half again started brightly but with Shrubs pushing forward we got caught on the attack and ended up losing 6-2. The boys should all be proud as we pushed a team near the top of Division One all the way. MoM: Lumpy. Team from. Mitchell, Riley, Josh, Adam, Taylor, Marshal, Billy, Liam, Lumpy Subs: Ben, Kerris & William. Home game against Rangers Hawks this Sunday.

SWINDELL U14 A game spoilt by the very strong wind, which meant you could not play good football. The match ended in a draw and this was probably a good thing. Swindell did not play very well at all, with a lot of players playing out of position. It was a physical game by both sides but Swindell is no more physical than any other team in the league, contrary to what visiting managers think, but as I have said both teams really did not come to terms with the wind. Final score 0-0.