Junior and youth football reports

BLUNDESTON MAGPIES lost a quarter-final cup game in what could have been a walk over as Hall got off to a tremendous start when a centre on four minutes was volleyed into his own net by a Magpies defender.This allowed Hall to dominate the opening stages but Magpies dug in and got their reward after seven minutes, levelling on their first attack as Peek slipped a ball through the left- hand channel for Delaney to run through to score. However another miskick by a Magpie defender on 12 minutes allowed Hall to take the lead again. Magpies tried to get a foothold in the game but were generally not physical enough. From another high centre Banger the Magpie keeper under pressure from jumping attackers could only push the ball up in the air to another Hall player who made it 3-1. Hall continued to pressure the Magpie defence and just before half time the reliable Chong had to go off with a broken nose after receiviig an elbow in the face. The second half was very different as Magpies got well into the game and were the better team but couldn’t get the next goal. Then against the run of play a ball over the top was guided into the Magpie net by a player, an estimated 10 yards offside. Straight from the kick-off a ball put across the Hall defence was collected by Delaney who then suprised everybody especially the Hall keeper and showboated to score Magpies second. With only 10 minutes to go Magpies pushed more players up front and made Halls defence work hard. But Hall held firm and deserved to go through to the semis. Blundeston Magpies 2 Town Hall 4.

CAISTER RESERVES: Having serviced the first team with all of their requirements Caister Reserves were left to pick from the remaining available players as per club protocol and managed to select a strong side to travel to Hoveton Wherrymen. Hoveton started the day top of the league. Within the first five minutes Caister won a free kick which McMillan swung dangerously into the box. The Hoveton full back was forced to turn the ball into his own net with a spectacular back flick volley. With a rare lead at such an early stage Caister continued to force Hoveton back with a brand of football which was bemusing their opponents. A long-range shot was parried by the Hoveton goalkeeper, the ball fell to Mansfield, the only other player in the penalty area but he failed to convert the chance with the open goal still gapping. Caister then had three other good chances the best of which was when Carter tricked his way around two defenders in the box to set up Kev Jarvis who slipped as he struck the ball on the wet surface and the ball trickled wide. Caister did get a deserved second on 30 minutes when 17-year-old Sam Johnson converted a fantastic curling free-kick from 25 yards leaving the keeper no chance. Before half time Caister were pegged back as Hoveton counter-attacked in their trademark, swift style and grabbed a good goal as their really impressive forward finished well to make it 1-2. On the stroke of half time Barry Crane made a challenge in the penalty area which the referee deemed to be a penalty much to the discontent of Crane who earned a booking. Flaxman in goal standing in for Gillary who had called off on Friday defied the Hoveton skipper with an outstanding, full stretch save to his right to preserve Caister’s lead and to the jubilation of the Caister supporters. The second half was much more open with chances flowing end to end. As expected Hoveton made some changes and had the majority of the play. The Wherrymen tried everything to try and break down the Lifeboatmen and at times we were surviving by the skin of our teeth and by the amazing goalkeeping of Flaxman. Two saves in particular were absolutely outstanding drawing gasps of astonishment and applause from both sets of supporters. The game became more stretched towards the end when a confrontation between Carter and a Hoveton forward resulted in them both getting a red card. Caister counter-attacked and good chances from the two Johnsons to close out the game were squandered. As the final whistle was blown Caister celebrated being the first team to take any points from Hoveton at home all season. MoM: Adam Flaxman - unbelievable. Well done lads to sticking to a game plan that paid off with great results. Next we face the new league leaders Sheringham at home. Squad to be announced at training, Tuesday 7.50pm at Caister High School indoor sports hall. With 22 players to choose from given the clubs strong position, training is advised.

Caister Vets suffered a third consecutive league defeat as they were beaten 5 - 3 away by local rivals GY Postals. Caister forced the home team back in the second period as they put them under sustained pressure trying to get back into the game but the bottom-of-the-league Postals deserved their win as they kept the ball far better than Caister. Caister started reasonably well and took an early lead when Martin Jacobs latched on to a defensive error after good pressure from Calvin Goffin and he fired home from inside the box. On 20 minutes Martin Andrews made an unnecessary challenge which resulted in a penalty which was converted by Andrew Fenn. The Postals then took control of the rest of the first half with the Caister defence struggling to cope. They took the lead with a goal which was very poor from Caister’s point of view. Alan Peace missed a corner which Simon Mitchell met from a couple of yards out. He didn’t get very good contact on the ball which was cleared but the referee ruled that it had already crossed the line. Peace redeemed himself with a couple of good saves as Caister seemed to lose their rhythm completely. The home side added a crucial third just before the break when Richard Stokes broke through and showed good composure to round Peace. Caister regrouped after the interval and began to get on top although they struggled to create clear chances in the first 20 minutes of the half. They then threw caution to the wind and committed players forward. This resulted in a breakaway from the home side and the ball was squared to an unmarked Martin Adams to finish from 10 yards. Caister kept trying to get back into the game and they gave themselves a lifeline when they dispossessed a home defender and Martin Jacobs curled the ball home from 25 yards. They nearly scored again when a home defender headed a corner against his own bar. Wayne Hunter then missed a good chance as the ball broke to him after a save from Paul Bunnewell but he was unable to chip the stranded keeper. Caister got back to 4 – 3 with four minutes left when Bunnewell saved a shot from Martin Jacobs and Neil Bowman was on hand to tuck home at the far post. Caister had now thrown everyone forward and another home break released Stokes and he again showed great composure to round Peace and fire home from a tight angle in injury time. Caister are really struggling to find their form at the moment as they have lost every game in 2012. MoM: Martin Jacobs.

Caister’s next match is their rearranged Knockout Shield Quarter Final on March 11 away to Spexhall. This match takes on greater significance now that Caister’s promotion hopes have probably taken a terminal blow. 2pm KO, meet at the Caister field at 12:15.

CATFIELD are out. The Cats gave themselves a mountain to climb when they fell 5-1 behind just before half time against Harleston in the Norfolk Junior Cup semi-final with most players under par or injured. The Cats did show a lot of character, denied two penalties, one in the last minute, the Cats gave a spirited second-half display to claw the game back to 5-4 and when the ref awarded a penalty only to change his mind the Cats nearly pulled off a miracle, good luck to Harleston. The Cats still have a lot to play for. They are still in all three domestic competitions starting with a hard game this week away to Belton in the Wiltshire Cup (2pm ko, be at ground for 1.15). Any problems call Selfy 07831 228007, Bev 07917 711596 or Stu 01493 855355.

MK UNITED recorded an excellent 4-2 victory over a good Caister CC. With six players unavailable for this game our squad was stretched to the limit and we thank Travis and Sam for stepping in at short notice. We started the game under a lot of pressure and Caister struck our upright before we settled down and took control of the game. We took the lead when Daniel Saunders sent over the perfect corner for Adam Hogg to head us in front. Adam then turned provider and set up the excellent Alex Panteli for number two and when Callum Ingram made it three with a superb chip we were in total control. However the loss of Travis and Alex through injury just before half time put us on the back foot but their replacements Stu Reeve and Daniel Kemp settled in well and both went on to have good games. After the break and despite facing driving rain, Callum put us 4-0 up after terrific work from Sam and new signing Johnny Robinson. However as the conditions got worse and we tired a bit Caister got on top and it was the turn of our keeper Adam Bollington to show his prowess with two stupendous saves. Caister did however score twice late in the game with two screamers that even Adam couldn’t get near. MoM: Daniel Saunders with a great performance and top marks for ref Bob Manship. Next game v Gt Yarmouth International at Burgh Castle, ko 2.30pm, meet pub 1.30 Burgh 2 sharp, call-offs Mick 07796 331860 asap. Team from: Bollington, Loades, D Saunders, Quinn, Con Oxborough, Cl Oxborough, Robinson, C Ingram, Ad Hogg, Simpson, L Miller, Kemp, Spray, Manning, Z Bircham, Jones, Panteli.

MK UNITED RESERVES continued our good form when we defeated a sporting Filby & Runham 8-2 with a good team performance. We have no game this week as would-be opponents Haven Bridge are involved in County Cup semis and we wish them all the best.

Most Read

Stalham Town Reserves - Following the two-week enforced lay-off we played Foulsham Reserves on Saturday at Rivers Park and they came looking to avenge the 7-1 drubbing we inflicted at their ground. With a very strong wind at our backs we found it more of a hindrance, as our passes were always just overhit which meant Ross Charlton was chasing lost causes. We had our first real effort on eight minutes when Louis Gelinas went close and a little while later Scott Charlton hit a good shot just over. We then had to be thankful to Ollie Eastwood who made a fantastic last- ditch block to deny a certain goal. The heavens opened and this seemed to cause the wind to drop and we got our football going and although Foulsham matched us in midfield, they never really troubled Jordan Barnard in goal. We broke the deadlock on 35 minutes following a great interception and fantastic run by Michael Green who then set Ross up to put us 1-0 up with a brilliant finish. Foulsham started the second half strongly and forced us back, but the defence were outstanding and Matt Haystead emulated Ollie Eastwood with a brilliant block. This ignited us and we upped the game and following a Tom Gilbert corner that came back to him, he played the ball perfectly to Louis who turned and shot from 12 yards to give the keeper no chance to make it 2-0. Our first and only lapse came 10 minutes later as a misplaced pass allowed them to break in numbers and a slip by Matt gave the striker a clear shot and he finished well. Within two minutes we had regained the two-goal advantage when the pass of the season by Jamie Hopwood sent Ross clear and he emphatically beat the keeper. Ross completed his hat-trick when quick thinking at a free kick by David Willis sent him free and once again his finish was outstanding to make it 4-1. There was still time for Scott Bishop to get in on the assist act and he also sent Ross clear to finish with all the class of a striker full of confidence when he hammered the ball past the advancing keeper for his fourth and a final scoreline of 5-1. The Marie Meale Photography Man of the Match could have gone to any of the back four, but because goals win games and Ross Charlton scored four magnificent ones, he takes the honours. Massive game at home this week as we entertain Corton Reserves in the CS Morley Cup semi- final.

BLUNDESTON MAGPIES U13 11 St Benets Wasps Black U13 2: With a strong breeze behind them the Magpies dominated the first half of this match taking the opportunity to build a healthy lead. Ben opened the scoring from close range from Jamie’s corner. The second quickly followed when Taylor picked up Logan’s throw-in and broke into the box powerfully to score. Next Declan fired home from the edge of the box. Connell scored the first of a hat-trick after a good passing move allowed him to break into the box. Declan scored the fifth again firing in from the left. Jamie then scored two more goals with long-range shots giving the keeper no chance. Connell then added another two goals, twice breaking into the box to fire past the keeper. The Wasps pulled a goal back from the penalty spot, Bexley just unable to reach the well-placed shot.

In the second half the Magpies found the going a little tougher attacking into the wind, despite this Man of the Match Jordan battled through to score his first for the club after moving from centre back to centre forward.The Wasps broke down the right to pull another goal back before the Magpies forced a series of corners, Taylor and Ben had further chances before Logan scored the final goal of the match running in from the right to score from the edge of the box.

BOHEMIANS U10 played at home against Sole Bay in the quarter- finals of the shield. Again they put in a excellent team performance. Connor and Cameron both had a fantastic game and linked up well with Harrison assisting him on scoring his goals. Jack D made some important saves, but was covered superbly by Jack G and Leroy. Declan made some great tackles and played the ball away superbly. Scott once again had a great game in defence working hard and making important tackles. Billy and Leighton worked well and both had shots on goal. Final score: 3-1 Harrison (2), Leroy (1). MoM: Harrison.

BOHEMIANS U13 girls hosted unbeaten top-of-the-league Sprowston with hopes of payback after the loss earlier in the season. Starting with the wind behind, Bohs pushed the visitors back into their half. The Sprowston defenders stood strong against relentless attacks from Demi, Millie, Hannah, Indi and Neve up front. Sprowston countered well but were cut out by the strong defence of Jordie, Lauren and Beth. After 25 minutes Mary, who had been outstanding in the middle of the park, opened the scoring with a stunning strike from the edge of the box. Minutes later she doubled the lead with a great strike from a well-placed corner from Millie. As expected the second half started with the talented Sprowston girls attacking with the wind in their favour. It wasn’t long before they reduced the deficit to one from a corner. Bohs stood strong against many attacks but with an amazing performance from goalkeeper Izzy, they failed to level the score. This included a great save from the spot after a Sprowston attacker was taken down in the area. An awesome performance by the girls and a deserved win in an amazing match. PoM: Izzy for a goalkeeping masterclass.

BREYDON UNITED U12 played a very well disciplined game against Blundeston Magpies this weekend. The team started very brightly with Alec putting some good balls into the box from a free kick and corners and a little flick from Kane opened Breydon’s account. Good defending from Dom and Tommo, with support from Callum, let Breydon settle and Kane doubled the team’s lead prior to the end of the first half. Dani, Regan, Daniel and Joel put in some excellent shifts in midfield and worked hard all game, playing some lovely passing football. Kane continued to be devastating up front and Callum added a goal after a good solo run down the wing. Well done to H for keeping a clean sheet. The team performed as a unit and everyone did what was asked of them. Blundeston were unlucky not to get a consolation goal, but Breydon deserved the six they put away. MoM: Kane.

CAISTER ROMA CENTURIONS U11 took on Bradwell in the shield quarter-final and continued to play some delightful pass and move football rounded off with well-taken goals. Caister took the game to Bradwell from the off and within five minutes Richie scored with his so called weaker foot. Bradwell through their dangerous right winger pushed Caister back but Daniel tracked his every move and forced him back. Caister scored with the last kick of the first half when Will ‘the wing wizard’ scored directly from a corner. Slick passing between Zak and Alfie created a chance which Logan took. Caister’s fourth goal was a typical fierce drive from Alex, and with Jay a mountain at the back and Thomas as safe as houses in goal there was no way through for Bradwell. Will scored his second with his trusty left foot and the game’s best goal was saved till last with another sweeping move from left to right and superbly finished by Logan to put Caister into the shield semi-final. Caister Roma Centurions U11 6 Bradwell U11 0. MoM: Daniel F.

Next match Gorleston (away in Shield). Team: Thomas, Daniel, Jay, Alfie, Richie, Zak, Will, Logan, Alex.

COBHOLM U8 were away to Blundeston. On a big pitch Cobholm got their passing game going, playing some great football but on the odd occasion Cobholm panicked on the ball and gave the ball away instead of looking up to see where the next pass was going. Cobholm found themselves in trouble a number of times by not tracking back and leaving Buddy in defence at times with three attacking players to contend with. Cobholm have improved in this area but must always track back when not in possession of the ball. Louie pulled off a couple of terrific saves but must remember to stay focused for those easier ones; Danielle must look sharp from the off but when she did get in her stride she defended well. Kieron must remember when he comes on he must chase, tackle and go to the ball by getting straight into the pace of the game. Bailey worked hard for the team going on good runs, linking up well with Toby, Kieron and Buddy and also having a number of chances in front of goal. Toby this week’s captain played some nice one-touch football with his team-mates and was also unlucky not to find the back of the net several times but each week you can notice him becoming a stronger player. Buddy chased about well, tackled hard, played some lovely balls through to his team-mates and ran his socks off, seeing off at times two or three attacking players. George tried hard when he came on, still having a lot to learn, this will come with more experience and games under his belt. MoM: Buddy for a great all-round team performance. Training tomorrow, 10 sharp.

COBHOLM U10 were home to Bradwell and started the game one player down but forced Bradwell on to the back foot from the kick-off, playing a high-tempo passing game. Callum was untroubled in goal, due to solid defending from Byron and Tony and the excellent forward and midfield combination of Charlie, Taylor and Dalton. Two great corners from Charlie almost resulted in goals and Dalton was unlucky to see a close-range effort spin up on to the crossbar. Very much against the run of play, Bradwell took the lead with a great dipping shot which left Callum with no chance. Cobholm responded in excellent style by taking the game to the opposition once more and could have gone in at half time 4-1 up. The second half saw a more open game with Cobholm playing their passing game and some great individual runs from Charlie and Taylor in midfield, now well supported by Tony playing further forward, leaving Byron to mop up at the back. A well-deserved goal from Dalton with a powerful shot in to the roof of the net gave Cobholm the equaliser. Bradwell were limited to long-range shots, one of which hit the post and another the bar, but Cobholm still pushed forward and pressed for the winner. Several chances were missed and the final whistle came too soon for the home team. A superb performance from the home team, against the extra man saw them all given Parents Player and a great game and goal from Dalton Philpott gave him the Manager’s Man of the Match. Next match away to Harleston kick-off 10.30, meet at units near Tesco at 9.15. Training to be advised by Dean during the week.

FC BRADWELL BRAZIL U9 On Sunday Bradwell played Loddon, on a bitterly cold and windy Mill Lane. Playing against the wind in the first half, Bradwell played some good one-touch football. Over on the left, Fletcher played to Liam, who passed to Morgan, who then laid the ball through for Connor to run on to, but shot just wide. Bradwell then had to withstand a flurry of pressure, but Bailey’s tracking back, and Fletcher and Harvey at the heart of defence, put some last-ditch tackles in to keep the scores level. Brazil again went on the attack with Liam and Morgan linking well, but found Loddon’s defence holding strong. The second half was better for Bradwell, as they were with the wind behind them. Tucker’s mazy runs caused Loddon problems, when he played the ball to Morgan only for him to have one touch to many. Loddon then came into their own, even with Alex making some class saves, they couldn’t stop Loddon scoring. Bradwell still tried to push forward, but Loddon came through in numbers. Final score 0-5. Well done to the boys, as Loddon are a top side. Keep working and you will get out what you put in. Man of the match: Morgan, for his tireless running. Thanks to Liam for his man marking role. Thank’ to Garemms, Paperclip and Church Farm for their sponsorship. Also thanks to Shaun for refereeing and Steve, Kelly and Shaun for helping set up and taking down the goals.

FC BRADWELL U9 SPAIN travelled to Loddon Grasshoppers for their last game of the season, Harry goal, Toby defence, Kyle Chester, Harvey and Fenton midfield.

The game got of to a flying start with both sides putting some great passes and brilliant tackles. Both keepers had little to do in the first 10 minutes but when called upon Harry pulled off some great saves. Toby as ever was solid at the back. Harvey Kyle Chester and Fenton worked very hard in midfield. All were working well as a team. The first half ended 0-0. The second half saw Loddon take an early lead which seemed to spur Bradwell into action with all the players putting in a fine performance. With seven minutes to go Fenton took a goal kick, passing to Toby who made a great darting run to put a through ball to Kyle who lined himself up in the box to slot home his first-ever goal. The game ended 1-1. MoM: The whole team played so well – proud of them all. Thanks to all parents and to Loddon a great advert for mini-soccer.

FC BRADWELL U12 BRAZIL played Loddon in the quarter-final of the Shield. The boys started off brilliantly putting two shots just wide of the left post and spent the first 10 minutes in Loddon’s half. However, with two key players missing and no subs the tide then started to turn and Loddon found themselves 2-0 up at half-time. Bradwell had the wind behind them in the second half and should have got back into the game, indeed Mitchell finished well to pull one back. However, it was the first game all season where Bradwell under-performed and played as individuals and not as a team. They stood off the tackles, ran blindly into the opposition whilst ignoring opportunities to pass and never chased back. They deservedly paid the price in the second half, losing 7-1 in a game that they really could have won with a bit more determination, team play and listening. MoM: Joe for his hard work, willingness to play anywhere and for listening to the tactics. Team: James, Josh, Sam, Vash, Reece, Max, Ben, Mitchell, Joe. Thanks to Glenn and Phil for all the help!

FC BRADWELL SPAIN U12 played at home against Kirkley & Pakefield Dragons at the weekend. The boys were quickly into their stride and Toby showed some blistering speed down the right and a great cross-come-shot caught the Kirkley keeper out and found the net. Shortly after, Connor’s corner was met by Luis who rifled in from 12 yards. Minutes later Ben closed down the keeper and the rebound fell nicely for him to score. Bradwell’s strike-rate was looking good and a good clearance from Aaron released Ben who scored with confidence. Just before half time the move of the game was started by Ben whose pass was controlled on the chest by Jack who passed it to Matthew to score making it 5-0 at half-time. With the manager tinkering with the side in the second half coupled with a gritty performance by Kirkley, Kirkley managed to pull three goals back even though Bradwell could have added to their tally but for some outstanding saves from the Kirkley keeper. However, a great first half performance had already secured the points for Bradwell. Team: Shaun, Oscar, Luis, Henry, Aaron, Alex, Toby, Connor, Jack, Matthew, Ben. A big thank you to all the boys, parents and officials. MoM: Luis Boulton, Great strike and bags of energy.

GORLESTON RANGERS HAWKS U9 played Gorleston Rangers Eagles. A fast-paced game from the start saw Hawks putting in some good performances and staying strong defensively in the first half. Marshall made some superb saves, and a big thanks to Fabian for stepping up to go in goal second half. Unfortunately for Hawks the Eagles came back after the second half determined and showed some good passing of the ball and they created some good opportunities. Hawks lost to Eagles 3-0. MoM: Max Haylet for an all round solid performance.

GREAT YARMOUTH TOWN U13 played host to Bungay Town at the Wellesley. Yarmouth were at full strength with Swanston in goal, Sawyer, Haylock, Wright and Davies in defence, Rodwell, Aizlewood, Jex, Sims, Wallis, Payne and Parker in midfield. Leading the front was the duo of Hunt and Hunter. In a scrappy first half, Yarmouth had the lion’s share of the possession and eventually went ahead when Parker got down the line and put in a good cross which took a deflection and beat the keeper at the near post. The second half saw Yarmouth running the game but not making too many clear cut chances, a shot from Sims went just wide. A ball over the top caught the Yarmouth defence napping but Swanston was quickly off his line and made a fine save. Yarmouth couldn’t get into their stride but still managed to make one more chance which saw a Hunter shot saved. Final score 1-0, a good result in cold windy conditions. Oliver Twist MoM: Swanston.

SHRUBLANDS U10 travelled away to Kirkley & Pakefield for a quarter- final shield clash. With a change of goalkeeper, Josh standing in for the much-missed Lucas, we still fielded a strong team. Shrubs started a little slow but were still dominant in all areas. Cameron and Izzy looked so comfortable at the back. Kirkley took a shock lead halfway through the first half then quickly added a second. Shrubs had chances to get back into the game, but failed to score with some poor finishing. This was a game of two halves. Shrubs came out fired up and started to change the game. Harry, Jaydn and Taiven started to influence the game from midfield. Shrubs got the first goal back from a corner from Harry which Louis put away. Then Louis equalised with his second with another good finish. Then his third and fourth of the game, the last being an absolute rocket. Josh played brilliantly in goal with a superb save in the dying minutes. Shaun and Henrique came on to shore up the defence to good effect. Whole team were excellent. MoM: Jaydn, a superb display and never ever gave up all game. Well done boys.

SHRUBLANDS U11 travelled away to Kirkley & Pakefield. The boys attacked from the off and with some good passing and moving took a well-deserved lead with a great left- foot finish from Aaron Putman. We continued to apply pressure and got a fantastic second goal from Marshal Wilkinson. We held on till half-time with a 2-0 lead thanks to some great defending from Josh, Riley, Aaron and Liam. The second half started and Kirkley forced a goal back soon after the kick-off. But with some great defending we held on for a superb 2-1 victory and our fourth straight league win on the bounce. Man of the Match was Josh Petit who had a superb game at right back and some superb attacking play also. Team from: Mitchell Wilson, Josh Petit, Riley Nobbs, Liam Spink, Liam Berrisford, Billy-Jay Elton, Taylor Barrett, Marshal Wilkinson, Aaron Putman. Subs from: Kerris Bilyard, Adam Judd, Ben Duffield.

Home game next week v Waveney Cougars. Massive thanks also to all the parents who cheered the boys on all game.

Norfolk and Suffolk Youth League

The Norfolk and Suffolk Youth Football League sponsored by TCN Teamwear thanks the following Cup and Shield sponsors for the following events:

U9 Cup: John Simpson Associate Accountants. U9 Shield: Gt Yarmouth Lions Club. U10 Cup: J P Sports. U10 Shield: J P Sports. U12 Cup: Magdalen. Elmhurst Court and Shrublands Residents Association. U13 Cup: O’Halleron Well Intervention Oil Services Ltd. U13 Shield: S P L Hair Studios. U14 Cup: Sweets and Treats. U15 Cup: Talk of the Town. U16 Cup: Globales.

The following events are still available: U11 Cup, U11 Shield/U12 Shield/U14 Shield/U15 Shield/U16 Shield.

If anyone is interested in sponsoring one of the above events please contact Lee Howell the Norfolk and Suffolk League commercial officer on 07825881594 or email lee_howell@btinternet.com

Norfolk & Suffolk Youth Football League (sponsored by TCN Teamwear)