Junior and youth football reports

ACLE UNITED LADIES played UEA on a wet, windy and cold afternoon at Colney Lane. After a 12-0 win in the earlier fixture it was expected the hosts would want some revenge this time out. UEA fielded a very different looking team to the previous game and the goalkeeper was called into action early on with a shot from Jodie but the keeper dealt with it with ease. We were playing some nice football but were also getting caught in possession a little too much and on a couple of occasions let the hosts in on goal but our defence and keeper did well respectively. As half time approached Jordan had a goalbound effort brilliantly tipped over the bar by the home keeper. From the resultant corner we got a bit of luck and the ball fell to Ashman who steered the ball home. The second half started very much the same as the first with both sides having good amounts of the ball but the hosts never really caused us any problems in front of goal. We were having a lot of joy down both flanks and getting balls into the box at a good rate but just couldn’t convert. The longer the game went on the longer the UEA were in the game Baker went close on two occasions but both time dragged her shot wide, with only minutes remaining we were awarded a free kick around 25 yards out. Boast hit it with power but the keeper seemed to have dealt with it only for it slip through her hands for a fortunate goal on our behalf. Final score: UEA 0 Acle United 2.

Blundeston Magpies lost 3-0 at home to Hopton. This was without doubt the worst Magpie performance for years and Hopton deserved all they got and must have gone away wondering how they only won by three goals. Half the Magpies team didn’t appear as though they wanted to play and with players turning up 10 minutes before kick- off didn’t help either. However it will be interesting to see how they pick themselves up in their next game, that’s the players who are selected!

CAISTER ROMA achieved our best result since forming the team in beating First Division GY International 3-2 to reach the final of the Wiltshire Cup. Against a supposedly better footballing side Roma rose to the challenge and played some great football despite missing key players. Nick scored the first goal with a sharp turn and good finish from the edge of the area. Several chances were created but not finished before International found an equaliser. Roma’s Jamie K scored direct from a corner to give a 2-1 lead at half-time. Roma continued to press in the second half restricting International to speculative efforts and were rewarded when Nick finished well for 3-1. Roma had several chances to finish the tie but could not put the ball in the net. International did manage a second goal to set up an exciting last five minutes but Roma held firm for a deserved victory. Well done to all 13 Roma players. This was a real team effort and well deserved. Next match another big game home to Filby and Runham in Burgess Cup decider, 2.30 kick-off meet 1.30.

Caister vets finally secured their first win of 2012 with a hard- fought 1 – 0 victory in the Shield quarter-finals away to old rivals Spexhall. Caister played well in a first half which they totally controlled but they came under real pressure in the last 20 minutes as the home side threw men forward in an attempt to force extra time which they probably merited. Caister started in a positive fashion and took the lead when Neil Bowman managed to find Martin Jacobs inside the area and he slotted past the home keeper. He then shot wide from the edge of the box after a Bowman throw-in. Caister continued to pass the ball well but they were thwarted when in promising positions by a poor final ball or good defending. Bowman released Martin Jacobs and although he got held up he found Wayne Hunter who shot wide. The home side had caused Caister no problems at the back as the Caister defence returned to form. The second period continued in a similar vein but with Caister failing to create too many clear-cut chances. The home side applied concerted pressure in the last 20 minutes. Their first clear chance came when a corner dropped to an unmarked player who sliced wide from close range. They then missed a free header from inside the box. Alan Peace also had to tip over a shot from the edge of the box and make a fine save from a deflected shot at his near post. Paul Jacobs then made a crucial block from a close-range effort to ensure that Caister didn’t have to endure a further 30 minutes. Caister have been drawn at home to Premier Division Bungay in the semi-finals to be played on 1st April. MoM: Paul Jacobs. On Sunday, home to Beccles Caxton (1pm KO.) Meet at the Caister field at 11:45. Squad: A Peace, M Mccreadie, M Jacobs, L Haylett, J Crowe, W Hunter, D Sims, N Bowman, M Andrews, M Wells, R Fruin, P Jacobs, A Clark, P Cjazkowski

CATFIELD again with a number of players unavailable, started slowly but as the game progressed the Cats started to dominate and after some good build-up play involving Eddie, Ricky, Huggy and Jonas, Warren’s goalbound header took a slight deflection to give the Cats a 1-0 lead. With Pongo winning most of his aerial battles the Cats created a couple of good chances but failed to increase their lead until Jonas hit a screamer home from outside the box. Albion pushed forward and brought a great save from Guesty a goalline clearance and some stout defending from Eddie, Goody, Spencer and Ollie. Cats were forced to make a change 15 minutes into the second half replacing Goody with Russell and moving around the back four. Ben then replaced the injured Pongo who had won a penalty that Warren slotted home to give the Cats a 3-0 cushion. With new signing Russell and Ben up front causing all sorts of problems Scott slotted home number four again after some good work. With 20 minutes remaining Bev made a welcome return after an 18-- month lay-off and was soon in the midst of the action creating a good chance for Ben. Cats had to wait for the last minute of the game to score number five when a second penalty saw Eddie blast home. This week v GY International on the Beaco 2.30 ko be at ground for 1.45 please any problems call Selfy 07831 228007, Bev 07917 711596 or Stu 01493 855355.

GORLESTON RANGERS LADIES away to Sprowston played some lovely football in first half. It was good to see so much pass and move coming off. This is all down to self-belief and runs right through the team. With Amy Mac solid as ever and back line of Sasha, Jazz, Durdin, Cyan midfield of Elisha, Katherine, Lauren, Betty and two girls up front Sam and Sammo Gorleston went in at half time 1-0 up. At half time the subs came on, Amy and Becky. Gorleston scored the second goal then Sprowston were awarded a penalty which Amy Mac diving at full stretch pushed up on to the bar. Sprowston scored and this seemed to inspire Gorleston on and they scored another two goals in a superb team performance. Goals were scored by Becky, Lauren, Sam and Sammo but this was all about playing as a team. Please keep training girls as you will get stronger. Player of match: whole team on first half performance. Thanks to Andrew for running line, No game this week.

MK UNITED - The 3-1 defeat by a good Caister CC just about summed up our season, the inconsistency we’ve shown from one week to the next now seems to have spread to the games themselves as for the first half against Caister we were awful and were second best in nearly all departments and were trailing 3-1 at half time. However the same players came out for the second half all playing in the same positions and same system as the first yet amazingly went on to totally dominate the second period and should have won the game comfortably. Unfortunately the woodwork came to Caister’s rescue no fewer than four times. A game of two contrasting halves. Positives to take from this game – young Daniel Kemp had a great second half as did the returning Pasco. Adam Hogg was our scorer., No game this week.

Most Read

MK UNITED RESERVES: this week we play Caister A at Burgh Castle. All players must contact Lee if they are unavailable for this game. Next game v Caister A ko 2-30 meet Burgh 2 sharp.

Norton Athletic lost 2-5 to Waveney Reserves. Norton were put to the sword by an in-form Waveney Reserves side who made it three wins on the trot against the sides that finished in the top three last season. Norton came out of the traps with some excellent superb, crisp football with Andy Green prominent in the early stages.However we failed to score during this period and the visitors started to get a foothold in the game and opened the scoring on 20 minutes, after a poor defending from Norton. As we set about the task of getting back on terms we started to see more of the ball and the strongest outlet remained the left hand side with Dan Kirk and Andy Green combining well. This partnership should have led to an equalising goal on the half hour as Green’s ball in took a deflection and Tom Hudson could only head over from close range with the net gaping.

As Norton appeared on top we saw another move down the left lead to a pull back and Rory Spinks arrived to crash a low drive that was destined for the bottom corner but hooked off the line by a scampering Waveney defender. On 40 minutes the heart was ripped out of Norton as Waveney extended their lead from close range following a corner and Waveney twisted the knife in the 56th minute as we lost the ball near the half way line and the Waveney player skipped through the heart of the defence before rounding Crossan for 3-0. On 70 minutes Tom Hudson gave a glimmer of home by steering a low shot under the keeper.

Four minutes later the three-goal cushion was restored. Andy Shilling was clearly fouled in the box however the referee gave a direct free kick on the edge of the area. Justice was claimed as the kick was dispatched into the far corner for 4-1. By now Waveney were bossing the game having hit the post and crashing a shot against the bar however they did net a 5th goal with a rasping finish from 10 yards.

Norton did net a second goal late on as Hudson headed home his second goal from Hak’s cross. The Read Bros MoM: Andy Green who was a constant thorn for the Waveney right back. This week we travel to DK Consultants at Barnards Centre Point. Remember no metal studs or blades on the artificial pitch (KO 2).

The Reserves and Veterans are both in home action as they play Waveney A and Cromer Veterans respectively, both games kick off at 2.


Blundeston Magpies U13 0 Bohemians U13 4. Magpies as they fell to their heaviest defeat of the season against a much improved Bohemians. Connell and James had chances before the Bohemians took the lead with a headed goal from a corner. This was quickly followed by another when Bohemians scored from close range, following up a long range shot. Connell had a shot from long range before Ben was unlucky to see his long range effort hit the right hand post and rebound to safety. Jamie had a shot saved before a good save by Bexley prevented the Bohemians increasing their lead.

In the second half the Magpies had chances to score through Declan and Ryan before Connell was tripped in the box, unfortunately Jamie’s penalty was brilliantly saved by the keeper, and the Magpies were unable to follow up the rebound. A shot from Connell was saved before the Bohemians scored their third from a corner. Tommy broke into the box and had a close range shot tipped onto the bar by the keeper. In the dying seconds a Bohemians forward broke through to score the final goal to wrap up a disappointing match. MoM: Adam.

Breydon U12 entertained Bradwell Brazil in what was and always is, a very entertaining and friendly fixture with plenty of support on the sidelines from parents and friends. Breydon started the scoring more or less from the kick off when Dani took his chance well to make it 1-0,then after a good save by H, followed by some slack marking in defence, Bradwell scored a great goal to bring the scores level. Breydon then started to put some good moves together which in turn led to Reagan, Kane and then Reagan again to score some cracking goals to put the home side 4-1 up. This only led to Bradwell applying their own pressure which produced a goal to take the score to 4-2 at half time. The second half started with Breydon seemingly to have taken their foot off the gas, which allowed Bradwell to pull a goal back which had the effect of waking the Breydon boys and so scoring goals by Dom, Kane and Dani, all of which were great long-range shots to put the home team 7-3 up. Bradwell then scored a great goal of superb quality which caused a few jitters amongst the home team supporters, but Dani calmed their nerves by scoring the last goal of the game to make it 8-4 at the whistle. MoM: Haydn for some brave goal keeping, but all players can take great pride for their part in a most entertaining game.

Cobholm U8 were at home to Gorleston Rangers Eagles. Cobholm got straight into their stride with some great passing and moving for much of the first half. Rangers looked dangerous at times going forward but Cobholm’s defence and Goalie stood their ground. With Louie unavailable Kieron stepped up to play in goal and had another great game. In the second half Thom closed down the Rangers defence putting them under pressure and having many shots at goal. This week’s captain Toby worked a lot harder and set up a few nice passes by looking up for his team mates to see where the next pass was going, he tackled well and closed players down. Bailey was quick off the mark running down the wing feeding some great balls through to Thom, Toby and Buddy. He tackled well and was unlucky in front of goal. Buddy fed some good balls through to his team- mates, chased about well, tackled and had good shots at goal. Danielle was quiet the first 10 minutes but she then soon got in her stride defending well, passing out the ball comfortable and looking sharp on the ball. When George came on he worked hard for the team seeing him put a lovely ball into Buddy who found Thom in front of goal. The whole team yet again worked hard for each other and all played there part. MoM: Thom and Danielle for there work rate and keeping there cool when under pressure. Training Saturday at 10 o’ clock sharp.

FC Bradwell Under 12 Brazil played well against Breydon despite going 1-0 down within the first 30 seconds. Mitchell was inspired throughout with constant jinking runs and equalised. Bradwell continued to play some good football and Mitchell was unlucky not to score again. With Bradwell forcing Breydon into long shots only, they hit three long- distance rockets into the net. With Breydon shooting direct from kick off in the second half we knew the second half would be difficult, however, Bradwell kept the ball on the floor and Mitchell scored two more goals from skilful runs to make it 4-3. However, with Breydon continuing to hit fantastically powerful long shots they then scored three more. Bradwell then worked the ball out to the left wing and Sam’s shot came back off of the crossbar. As we have been doing in training, we worked it right across to the other wing, where Mitchell crossed brilliantly for Lewis to run in and header past the brilliant Breydon keeper. However, Breydon then scored another rocket. Final Score Breydon 8 FC Bradwell 4. Team: James, Max, Josh, Cameron, Sam, Vash, Lewis, Ben, Joe, Mitchell, Reece. MoM: had to be Mitchell, but Lewis ran him very close and Josh showed real courage. Thanks to all at Breydon for their hospitality.

FC Bradwell Spain U12 played at home against local side Gorleston Rangers. Bradwell started well and had the lion share of the possession but can’t penetrate the Ranger’s goal. After some constant pressure a good corner from Aaron fell to Jack who rifled the ball home from 12 yards. Five minutes later another corner from Aaron was neatly tucked into the roof of the net after a great near post run by Henry to put Bradwell two up. Connor and Toby provided good width and service to Ben and Matthew up front but although Shaun wasn’t troubled too much in goal in the first half, it was a defence splitting pass that released the Rangers forward to pull one back before half-time. Rangers went close at the start of the second half but Oscar, Alex and the busy Luis kept them at bay. As the game entered the final quarter, another good corner from Aaron was cleared back to him and his returned cross was meet by Ben who volleyed in to ensure the 3 points were going Bradwell’s way. Well done to all the boys from teams, officials and spectators. All of us at Bradwell would like to wish Mohammed of GRFC a speedy recovery following the news of his injury. Team: Shaun, Oscar, Luis, Henry, Aaron, Alex, Toby, Connor, Jack, Matthew, Ben. A big thank you to all the boys, parents and officials. MoM: Aaron Hudson– Three assist and some great dead ball strikes.

Gorleston Rangers U15 Eagles visited the Rangers Falcons in a top-of-the-table clash which both teams needed to win to stand any chance of winning the league. The visitors started much the brighter with the home team seeming rather nervous. A delightful corner from Cameron Brooks was glanced home by Declan Round in the first five minutes and after a few scares for the home side Declan Round beat the keeper with a left foot drive from the edge of the area for his second. The score remained at 2-0 until half time with The Eagles having the majority of the play and chances and the back four of George, Brown, Jackson and Crago-Moore protecting their keeper who only had one tame effort to contend with before the break.

The Eagles made changes for the second half and within minutes substitute Jed Knight’s floated cross was thumped home by Dan Deag who had drifted in from the wing. Excellent wing play handed the Eagles their 4th goal when Jay Turner’s shot was stopped on the line allowing Callum Batley a simple tap in. The Falcons then woke up and pulled a goal back after Kingsley Barnes great saved was sent back in and Clarke Haylett headed into the top corner. Colby Haylett then sent in a free kick that eluded everyone and drifted in the far corner. The Eagles wrapped things up just after when Jay Turner and Callum Batley combined and Turner’s through ball was slid under the advancing keeper to wrap the game up at 5-2. A thoroughly entertaining game in awful conditions. MoM: Declan Round. Next match versus Great Yarmouth Town, Magdalen (ko: 10.30). Meet ground 10.

HEMSBY HORNETS U8 hosted to Blundeston Magpies United in an end-to-end encounter. The Hornets started slowly but soon began working hard for one another and created some good scoring opportunities. William scored with a great shot which took a few deflections. In the second half the Hornets continued to play some good passing football and again created many chances. Harvey drilled home an excellent long-range shot after some continuous Hornets pressure. With the whole team trying to pass the ball and with a much-improved work rate throughout the side this was a good team performance. Player of the match: Haydn, for his strong running and non-stop battling.

Next match at home on Sunday v Harleston Youth Tigers (ko 10.30). Players to be there for 10.

ORMESBY LADS U12 in their first game in six weeks Ormesby entertained Bohemians. With Ellie missing they had the bare nine players to start with. Right from the kick-off Ormesby took the game to their opponents with Leon making surging runs down the right and crossing well. At the back Ralph was tackling well and making good forward runs and Callum was clearing most balls that came his way. Ormesby took a deserved lead when Jamie finished well from an excellent ball from Leon. Soon after Jamie had the ball in the net again but was flagged offside. In midfield Sam was playing with strength and composure and Antonio was winning some hard battles and passing the ball well. As half time drew near Bohemians scored a slightly fortunate equaliser in off the post. In the second half Bohemians took the lead and grew in confidence, Victoria defended well and Andrew, despite feeling unwell, made some impressive stops. Jordan did well up front with some good off the ball runs but Bohemians added three late goals as Ormesby tired. MoM: Leon for a power-packed performance. Well done to everyone for a great effort. Next match away to Burnt Hill, k.o. T.B.A.

Rangers Soccer Tots New group commencing on Friday, March 9 at Wroughton Junior School, Burgh Road, 4:30-5:30pm. Interested players should be aged between 3 and 4 years old. Training is taken by FA qualified coach. To book a place or for further information telephone Chris on 07795661707 or just turn up on the night.

Rangers Reception & Year 1 Football New group commencing on Friday 9th March at Wroughton Junior School, Burgh Road, 5:30-6:30pm. Interested players should be in reception or school year 1. Training is taken by FA qualified coach. To book a place or for further information telephone Chris on 07795661707 or just turn up on the night.

Shrublands U10 played away at Loddon Grasshoppers, and enjoyed another fine display from the whole team, after a cautious start to the match. Shrubs imposed themselves on the game with a well taken goal from Louis, who held off the Loddon defender before powering the ball home. The Shrubs midfield was working very well and the second goal came after some persistent work from Taiven who slotted home at the second attempt. The second half started with some changes to the Shrubs team with Shaun, Josh and Henrique all getting valuable game time and putting in some good work. The third Shrubs goal was down to some fine work by Harry who collected the ball in his own half before releasing Louis to score his second of the game. Loddon were reduced to taking long range shots at goal due to the defensive performance from both Izzy and Cameron. Lucas only having to deal with one dangerous effort on his goal all game. Jaydn brought out a great save from the Loddon keeper with a dipping shot that was tipped away when it looked like going in the top corner. Louis wasted a couple of chances to add to his tally, before finally slotting home from an impossible angle to complete his hat trick. Final score 4-0.

Shrublands U11 would like to thank Luke Mather and Emma Martin for all there hard work over the season and was great to see the team perform how they knew they could and this was also Emma’s 4th year in charge. Thanks to all the players who have played this season. Mitchell Wilson, Riley Nobbs, Josh Pettit, Marshal Wilkinson, Billy-Jay Elton, Liam Spink, Taylor Barrett, Adam Judd, Ben Duffield, Kerris Bilyard, Aaron Putman, Liam Berrisford, William Robertson and Callum Mclennan. Also thanks to all parents for support throughout the season. .

Shrublands U11’s final game of the season was at home to top-of-the-table St Bennets Wasps. Looking to overturn a heavy 9-0 defeat earlier in the season the boys were soon in their stride and passing superbly with Marshal opening the scoring with a well taken goal. Liam Spink then got his 1st goal for the club with a thunderbolt of a penalty in to the roof of the net. The second half got under way and the passing was again superb and we rattled in another four goals to end up with an impressive 6-0 victory. MoM: Mitchell with a clean sheet in goal and penalty saves to go with it. Kerris also picked up a man of the match trophy and all the boys picked up team performance awards. Scorers: were Liam Spink, Billy-Jay (10 out of 10 for the front flip) Marshal (2) and Lumpy (2). Team from: Mitchell Wilson, Adam Judd, Josh Pettit, Aaron Putman, Billy-Jay Elton, Liam Berrisford, Marshal Wilkinson, Liam Spink, Riley Nobbs. Subs From: Taylor Barrett, Ben Duffield, Kerris Bilyard. Well done boys for a great end to the season.


GORLESTON Rangers FC are inviting teams to enter their 24th annual youth football tournament that is being held on Saturday and Sunday June 16, 17. For the last few years over 200 teams from all around Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Bedfordshire and beyond entered the tournament. Last year 107 different clubs were represented. The entry fee is �20 per team. Saturday 16th June 2012 will be for U8, U10, U12, U14 and U16. Sunday 17th June 2012 will be for U7, U9, U11, U13 and U15.

The event is being held at Ormiston Venture Academy, Oriel Avenue, Gorleston-on-Sea NR31 7JJ. Entry forms can be downloaded from www.gorlestonrangersfc.org.uk or by contacting: Chris Dunne, 1 Hornbeam Close, Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk NR31 8DX, Tel: 01493 601256 email: chris.dunne@homecall.co.uk