Junior and Youth football reports

Blundeston Magpies lost 3-1 at home to DK, who dominated all the play leaving Magpies hanging on. Chong and Papworth were constantly put under extreme pressure and new keeper Hawkins had to make several really brave saves to keep the score down. DK took the lead on five minutes with slick quick and accurate passing and doubled this on 10 minutes. Magpies juggled their team about and began to get a foothold in the game by stopping DK the space and closing down quicker. But this didnt stop DK from having most of the possession. However a sloppy foul by DK gave Magpies a free kick from 25 yards out which Johnny Jarvis powered past the keeper. This gave Magpies the confidence to get more into the game and Fenton who chased everything was unlucky to see his shot beat the keeper but drift passed the far post. DK who had been under pressure broke just before half time to score number three. In the 2nd half DK started brightly but Magpies soon got into the game and with Johnny Jarvis and Yip Chong winning most of the balls supported by Banger and Papworth chances began to appear. Delaney who had found the going tough up front had a good chance but blazed the ball over the bar. Hawkins in goal made several really good saves as Magpies began to push more players up front which resulted in Adam Jarvis making a rare appearance from the reserves who beat his defender and nutmegged the keeper but saw his shot cleared of the line just by a defender with five minutes to go. Young Dillon Carby making his first team debut got better as the half progressed and showed good potential.

Bohemians visited Filby on Saturday in the Percy Knockolds Cup and were never at the races in the first half hour. After going a goal down in the second minute we took the most of the first half to wake up although Filby never posed much of a threat despite all their possession. However, when we did start to play, Brandon and Matty controlled the midfield and created several chances for our front two and wingers. On another day, Jack and Ryan could both have had hat-tricks. We went in at half time 2-1 up thanks to a fine goal from Stevie and an own goal resulting from one of Dan’s long throws into the box. Second half saw Boh’s continue the pressure and eventually getting a third from young Ryan who had another superb game up front. Credit to the Filby keeper in keeping the match so close by producing half a dozen excellent saves either side of a bad knock when challenging for a 50-50 ball.

Boh’s made two substitutions only to lose Dan to a bad knee injury after turning it in one of the numerous rabbit scrapes and holes in the Filby playing surface and it looks as if he may be out for a month. Playing against only ten men for the last half hour gave Filby an added incentive and sure enough, when we failed to clear a long ball forward, their striker made it 3-2 with only five minutes left when his shot hit a divot and bobbled over Dits head and into the net. Fortunately for Boh’s, we held on for a 3-2 win but all credit to Filby’s keeper, by far the man of the match. Next match at home to The Peelers at New Road. Meet 1.40pm at the ground and any call offs to Aidy please.

CAISTER ROMA entertained league leaders South Yarmouth in a must-win game for both teams. Despite having several players unavailable Roma started brightly putting together some good passing moves but finding the Yarmouth keeper at his usual best pulling off three outstanding saves early on. South Yarmouth then put on the pressure and Liam in the Roma goal was called on to make several crucial saves. With both teams showing great attacking intent and free flowing passing football Yarmouth took the lead only for Chris to equalise with a firm header from a corner for 1-1 at half-time. The second half continued in the same free flowing attacking way as both teams went all out for the win. Yarmouth then took the lead after some slack defending allowed a good finish which gave the keeper little chance. Roma then stepped up a gear and started to push Yarmouth back and Karl equalised from just inside the area after some good approach play. Chris then put us into the lead for the first time with a powerful drive from an acute angle. Chances came for both sides but Roma finished the stronger and Nick wrapped up the game with a deserved goal made by his sheer persistence. Final score 4-2 in a game that was a great advert for local football well refereed by Paul Emblem. Next match home to Yarmouth International in the Wiltshire Cup Semi Final 2.30 kick off, meet 1.30 sharp.

CAISTER VETS have their Shield Quarter Final on Sunday away to Spexhall. This is a 2pm KO. Meet at the Caister field at 12.15pm. Squad: A Peace, M Mccreadie, M Jacobs, A Gooda, L Haylett, J Crowe, W Hunter, D Sims, C Goffin, N Bowman, M Andrews, M Wells, R Fruin, P Jacobs, G Smith

CATFIELD still feeling the aftermath of their Junior Cup defeat on the Saturday morning looked to be struggling to field 11 players but with a couple of players playing with injuries and one able to finish work early plus one new signing the Cats managed to pull together 15 players to take on high flying Belton in the Wiltshire Cup, the Cats took an early lead through a somewhat fortunate Olly goal, but they needed this little bit of luck and went on to mostly control the game and with new signing Mat scoring his first for the Cats they lead 2-0 at half time, the Cats were put under the cosh for the early part of the second half but with further goals coming from Ben and Scott the game was secured although Belton pulled one back the Cats have Guesty to thank for a great save to keep the score down, a good debut from Mat and excellent performances from Pongo and Jonas rounded off a good bounce back this week vs Albion on the Mag 2.30 ko be at ground by 1.45 please any problems call Selfy 07831 228007 or Bev 07917 711596.

MK UNITED in our previous three meetings with Gt Yarmouth International we have been soundly beaten on each occasion, so this weeks 0-0 draw has to be viewed as a step in the right direction, as our reserves were without a game we brought shane simpson and lee spray for their first team debuts and neither player disappointed as both went on to give excellent performances, as expected a very fit International made all the running in the first half hour but our defence superbly marshalled by Clayton Oxborough held firm and gradually we played ourselves into the game that saw Adam Hogg head agonisingly over the bar on three occasions from pin point Daniel Saunders corners, the second half carried on in the same vain with both teams playing some superb one touch football without ever really testing the keepers till late in the game when first MK’s Luke Miller pulled off a great one handed save and shortly afterwards Adam Hogg was shaking his head in disbelief as first the International keeper saved his point blank shot then in the dying minutes of the game Callum Ingram’s brilliant chip had goal written over it till the International keeper came from nowhere to claw the ball to safety, however in the end a draw was a fair result in a very entertaining game played in a brilliant atmosphere and it has to be said it was a pleasure to play against Carlos and his International team.

Most Read

Next game v Caister CC at Burgh Castle ko 2.30pm, meet ground 2pm sharp. Call-offs Mick 07796 331860 asap.

Team from: L Miller, Simpson, D Saunders, Quinn, Cl Oxborough, Con Oxborough, Pasco, Robinson, Manning, Ad Hogg, C Ingram, D Ingram, D Kemp, A Pantelli, S Loades

Stalham Town Reserves played Division 5 high flyers Corton Reserves in the semi-final of the CS Morley Cup on a glorious pitch in lovely weather at Rivers Park on Saturday, putting in a brilliant team performance we progressed to the final with a well deserved 4-2 victory. We expected a hard game and so it was and our toughest test so far as they were a physical side that could play good football as well. Once we got into our stride we started to create chances and Danny Camish had a dilemma of shoot or pass and he chose to shoot, but it was straight at the keeper. Michael Green then set Ross Charlton up, but his effort was lofted just over. Corton took the lead on 12 minutes when a free kick eluded everyone in the area and with Matt Haystead seemingly blocked, the ball drifted in past the unsighted Jordan Barnard. They started to pose more of a threat after this but, Ollie Eastwood, Jamie Hopwood, Matt Haystead and Michael Green ensured no further problems for Jordan, although a long -range effort didn’t miss the top of the bar by much. On 30 minutes we lost Louis Gelinas to injury, as he was racing into the area to shoot, his hamstring went and his shot never came to anything and he had to be replaced by Duncan Borrett. With half time approaching a perfectly-weighted ball from Scott Charlton sent his brother Ross away and he calmly slotted in to make it 1-1 and the referee blew the whistle just as they restarted. That goal obviously changed the complexion of the game as second half we were quicker to everything, our passes were better and all over the pitch everyone was more confident. Danny played a good ball for Tom Gilbert, but his effort lacked power and the keeper collected comfortably. Then Duncan T played Ross in twice more in quick succession, but his first shot went narrowly wide and the second was straight at the keeper. In the 75th minute we took the lead from the penalty spot when Danny burst into the box only to be upended and Tom took responsibility and calmly sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot for 2-1. We then really put them under extreme pressure and Tom had a great effort well saved and it wasn’t long before we made it 3-1, when Danny again set Ross up and this time he made no mistake as he finished well again. David Willis then made a couple of superb tackles in midfield to break down attacks and he worked tirelessly all game which lifts players too. Corton made it 3-2 with five minutes to go when a ball into the box wasn’t cleared and Jamie Hopwood was clearly push out of the way, but the referee didn’t see it and their striker finished well. Instead of this affecting us we kicked off again and went down their end and as a defender tried to clear the ball, Ross robbed him of it on the corner of the box, made his way past another defender and slotted in giving the keeper no chance from six yards for yet another hat trick and a 4-2 score line. This killed the game and as we saw time out, Ross could have had a fourth in the final minute, but he couldn’t quite convert Danny’s pass. This was yet another fantastic display of playing as a team and working hard for each other and there were quite a few candidates for the Marie Meale Photography Man of the Match, but it went to Scott Charlton for a superb second half performance. Well played lads, I’m so proud of you all. I must just apologise to Ollie Bell and Jack Peters for not being able to get you boys on the pitch. I just couldn’t change things. The big games come thick and fast now starting with a trip to Yelverton on Saturday.


Bohemians U10 Played at home against Kirkley & Pakefield Vikings. All the boys played brilliantly and put in 100 per cent. The boys showed some good passing of the ball and created lots of opportunities. Final score 5-0: Harrison (2), Connor (2), Cameron (1) MoM: Cameron

Breydon U12 travelled to play Burnt Hill in what was to be their most exciting game so far this season. From the whistle Breydon applied the early pressure with several shots on the home goal only to be denied by some excellent goal keeping and the cross bar. Breydon themselves then had to do some stout defending when Burnt Hill managed to break into the opposite end only to find a shot on goal go just wide, from the goal kick H found Kane who controlled the ball well and scored the opening goal which in turn led to both teams using the full width of the pitch, spreading the ball about and forcing both keepers to make some fine saves. Another goal kick for Breydon, this time taken by Dom led to Kane scoring his second goal to take the away team in at half time with a 0-2 lead. With no subs to call on Burnt Hill came out at the start of the second half with full determination and made the most of a defensive error by Breydon to pull a goal back and then forced a corner from which they scored again to level the scores. With the clock ticking down, both teams were now in full flow and producing great football which certainly kept both sets of supporters on their toes and possibly settling for a draw. With minutes to go, Breydon were awarded a free kick from which Kane latched onto, and score his hat-trick, to make the final score 2-3 to Breydon and come off the pitch a much relieved team. Full credit must go to both sets of players, especially to Burnt Hill for not being able to call on any subs and making such a well contested game of it. MoM for Breydon went to Thommo with the rest of the lads coming a close second, well done to all. Thanks go to Burnt Hill for their hospitality, also to the main sponsors of Breydon, Spixworth MOT Bay.

Breydon United U13 (The magnificent 7) played a game of 7 v 11 + 4 subs. My lads went out against the odds to play Sole Bay in the semi- final of the Shield this week. With my players dropping like flies due to sickness and absences we could only put a team of seven out. They made me so proud by the way that they played and acted, putting everything they had into it. We did lose 12-1 but in my eyes they won. MoM: All. I thank you all again.

Caister Centurions U11 Shield semi-final clash with Gorleston Eagles turned out to be a very one-sided affair. Credit must go to all the Eagles players who never stopped giving 100 per cent from the start to the finish. Caister’s passing was crisp, their shooting clinical and their desire to reach their first final was plain to see. First half goals from Richie, Logan (2), Alex, Zak and Will gave Caister a comfortable 6-0 lead. Caister’s noisy supporters had more to cheer in the second half as they created chance after chance, hitting the woodwork twice before Logan completed his hat-trick. Jay advanced forward to score a well- taken goal, ‘wing wizard’ Will then ran from the halfway line beating defenders before slotting past the keeper. Zak got his second and Caister’s 10th before Will finished the scoring to complete his hat-trick, Final score: Caister Roma Centurions U11 11 Gorleston Eagles 0. MoM: Jay. A great performance sending Caister into the League Shield Final.

Cobholm U8 were away to Harleston. Cobholm had the bare five players and knew it was going to be hard work in the heat getting up and down the pitch. Cobholm had to pull out their regular goalie and put in one of their outfield players due to injury but every player played their part and gave 100 per cent. Kieron had a great game in goal carrying a knee injury, pulling off some terrific saves. Louie’s first game out of goal this season saw him hounding the harleston side, chasing about well and making important tackles and creating a number of chances. Toby was unlucky on a number of occasions in front of goal. Danielle this week’s captain, had a solid game in defence passing the ball out nicely and seeing the ball out if she did find herself in trouble. Buddy worked hard for the team, passing the ball well, tackling and getting some great kicks up field. Every player played their part. Thom, Bailey and George were missed and with them back this week the team will be back to full strength. MoM: the whole team for a great all round performance. Training Saturday, 10 sharp.

Cobholm U11 played their last home game of the season against a hard working Harleston Youth. A game of two halves started evenly, with neither side getting a foothold until a nice move from Harleston saw a good strike which Will M in goal got a good hand to but couldn’t quite keep out. Harleston kept pressing and the defence of Keanan, Jordan and Szymon did well until Harleston were awarded a penalty towards the end of the half, which was put wide. In the second half Cobholm started much better, playing with more purpose, and it wasn’t long before a great corner put over by Mazie was met on the edge of the goal area by Will with a powerful header to level the scores. Cobholm then kept up the great play and some nice passing and movement through the midfield of Jacob and Odin saw a break down the left to make it 2-1. Shortly after a similar move made it 3-1 with two great finishes by Alan, one of which was from a very tight angle. Harleston then began to play some nice football and pushed hard to get back in the game but again found the Cobholm defence which now included the versatile Josh difficult to get past. Aa superb strike from the edge of the area by the Harleston number 9 was heading for the top corner but was met by an equally superb save by Will M. Cobholm held on until the end to make the final score 3-1. MoM: the whole team. Friendly arranged for Saturday morning, please arrive at 10 sharp in full kit.

FC Bradwell Brazil U9 had their last game of the season on Sunday against Sole Bay. From kick -off Sole Bay took the game to Bradwell without creating any chances as they found Fletcher and Aidan at their best. Aidan playing in his least preferred position, just in front of Fletcher, gave Bradwell pace and steel in defence. It took a good eight minutes for Bradwell to find their mojo, and when they did, there was no stopping the top quality pass-and-move football. Liam was the playmaker as he won the ball, played to Tucker and Morgan finished it off by stabbing the ball into the net. Bradwell created a host of chances, but Sole Bay’s keeper was in good form. Trying to push for a second, Harvey was brought on to replace Aidan at the back, as he pushed up into midfield with Bailey coming on to replace Connor. Bailey made a good run through, but his final ball just fell short of Liam, as he was ready to pounce. Bailey’s pace and Tucker’s passing, troubled Sole Bay as they failed to get to grips with Bradwell’s midfield. Sole Bay had a rare attack but Harvey managed to put in some tough tackles to thwart everything. Bradwell put in attack after attack and were rewarded when the impressive Connor came back on to the pitch to create havoc with his pace to play Morgan in to make the score 2-0. With Bradwell comfortable, changes again were made to protect the lead. With a few minutes remaining, Bradwell played on the break to catch Sole Bay out, and Liam was fouled 20 yards from goal. Fletcher unleashed a powerful shot, which just whistled past the post. He then saw his corner hit both posts and saved, even though the home crowd thought it crossed the line.

Alex being most part spectator, was on guard to save a rare shot, and his quick thinking pumped a long kick forward for Connor to run on to, and he slotted the ball home. Final score 3-0. Mom: the team. This was a great performance. Thank you boys for a great season, and hope next will be just as much fun. Thanks to all the parents and sponsors for your support.

FC Bradwell U10 entertained Kirkley & Pakefield with high hopes. With past results against Kirkley & Pakefield we were a bit nervous but after five minutes we were given a penalty after Barney Harvey was brought down in the box. He stepped up and took a fantastic penalty left of the keeper. At half time we were still 1-0 up. We played the second half as we finished the first but Kirkley came at us and were rewarded with a goal. The boys prodcued some superb passing and defending and were rewarded with a fantastic through ball to Jacob Davis who netted a goal worthy of the Premiership. We played out of our skins to defend our lead but were undone and Kirkley equalised. But we never gave up with efforts from Cameron Downie, Harry Jaye and more from Barney and Jacob. Our defenders did their jobs as Max Trorey, Harry Allen and Finn Darby kept us in the game and goalkeeper Harry Lee pulled off a fantastic one-handed save.

Gorleston Rangers Ospreys U9’s last league match of the season saw Ospreys play Gorleston Rangers Owls. After a quiet start both teams were attacking and defending well but after five minutes the goals started with Finley scoring from just inside the box for the Ospreys. Luke made some great saves in goal, Curtis and Reece were passing and tackling very well in midfield and creating some good chances. Josh, Jack O and James all scored making it 4-0 at half time. Straight from the start of the second half the Ospreys were caught napping and the Owls scored a good goal but it wasn’t enough, the Opsreys were playing some very good attacking football and created more chances which the Owls had no answer for. Jack M finally scored after three missed chances and Tristan scored his first goal of the season, James scored a screamer from outside the box and Josh got a second to make the final score 8-1 to the Ospreys. Team: Luke, Tristan, Finley, Curtis, Josh, Jack M. Subs: Reece, James, Jack O. MoM: Josh.

Great Yarmouth Town U13 were away to table-topping, Kirkley & Pakefield Eclipse and put in a performance more than worthy of taking all three points, However in football you don’t always get what you deserve. Yarmouth started brightly and were holding their own. The defence of Wright , Sawyer, Haylock and Davis were solid and protected the ever reliable, Swanston in goal. The Bloaters’ midfield consisted Payne, Jex, Aizlewood, Rodwell, Sims and Parker who worked like Trojans and didn’t give the opposition any time on the ball. The front two of Hunt and Hunter ran tirelessly, chasing and closing down every loose ball. Yarmouth went close in the first half with efforts from Aizlewood and Hunt. The second half saw Yarmouth attacking and playing some good football but found themselves undeservedly a goal down. Yarmouth pressed and kept creating chances, with Jex going close with a header from a Sims free kick, a run and shot from Parker just went the wrong side of the post and a Haylock shot from a corner went just wide. Another great team performance with every player giving 110 per cent. The Oliver Twist man of the match: Sawyer.

Rangers Reception & Year 1 Football. New group commencing on Friday, March 9 at Wroughton Junior School, Burgh Road, 5.30-6.30pm.

Interested players should be in reception or school year 1. Training is taken by FA qualified coach. To book a place or for further information telephone Chris on 07795 661707 or just turn up on the night.

Rangers Soccer Tots New group commencing on Friday, March 9 at Wroughton Junior School, Burgh Road, 4.30-5.30pm. Interested players should be aged between 3 and 4 years old. Training is taken by FA qualified coach. To book a place or for further information telephone Chris on 07795 661707 or just turn up on the night.

Shrublands U11’s home game against Waveney Cougars. Despite going 0-1 down in the opening minutes of the game the boys soon got their passing game going and ran out 7-1 winners. It could have been even more but Waveney’s keeper pulled off some brilliant saves to keep the score down. There were

two goals each for Lumpy, Josh and Marshal and one for Taylor. Last game of the season next week is agaist St Bennets Wasps at the common. Let’s try to make it six games unbeaten in the league. Massive thanks again for all the support from the parents. Team from: Mitchell Wilson, Riley Nobbs, Liam Spink, Kerris Bilyard, Josh Pettit, Marshal Wilkinson, Taylor Barrett, Aaron Putman, Liam Berrisford. Subs: Adam Judd, Ben Duffield. MoM: Aaron Putman who had a fantastic game on the left and had at least three assists with the goals. Well done boys.