Junior and youth football reports

ACLE UTD LADIES returned to action on Sunday at home v Stalham Town who were coming into to the game unbeaten in six. It was important we started well and we scoring in the opening three minutes after good work down the right from Em who crossed low for Jordan to tap the ball home. Our second came just before half time when a good corner from Cara was headed home by Jordan from 10 yards for her second of the game. The second period started in very much the same fashion as the first with us scoring within seconds of he restart through Sophie. Em once again worked well down the right giving the full back a horrid time and created the next three goals, all scored by Sophie. Gillie on her return to the fold was causing havoc for he opposition back line and picked a deserved goal as did Hoops who fired past the keeper from 15 yards. With some of he best football of the season being played all around the park, we scored our ninth of the game when Em got on the sheet with a good run through three defenders and lifted the ball past the keeper with her left foot. The tenth came minutes from time when Sharnie turned and and let fly from 40 yards to fire into the top corner with an absolute cracker giving the keeper no chance. Credit must go to Stalham who always tried to play and never gave up.

CAISTER RESERVES faced St Andrews again for the second game in succession this time at Allendale Road. Caister made five changes with Gennings, Sam Johnson, Docherty, Barrett unavailable and Mansfield on first team duty this meant the Ressies signed their 61st & 62nd players in Keegan Middleton and Josh Walpole both 17.

Basically this was the most one sided game of the season. From start to finish Caister dominated everything with their hapless visitors never threatening their goal but defending stoutly.

Keegan Middleton had the best chances of the first half he ran clear twice but was denied on both occasions as Caister played some excellent football built up by the impressive Ward, Robson and Hughes. As half time arrived the message to the players was clear, to just keep the movement and passing and not get frustrated. After the interval Caister were again dictating the play but had to wait until 70 minutes to take the lead. The goal however was worth waiting for, Lambert rolled the ball out to Macca he played the ball into midfield to Grant Johnson who passed the ball wide to Garrett Ward he skipped past two defenders to the goal touchline then pulled back a perfectly weighted pass to the arriving Lee Carter who struck a fading drive from 20 yards to finish a perfect move from back to front. Now with the pressure off Caister had the game won. More chances for Middleton went unpunished before he sealed the victory with a goal he had been craving all game, smashing the ball home from close range. Final score 2-0. This was a very patient performance from Caister showing their maturity, earlier in the season frustration would have set in but this group showed fantastic togetherness exemplified in the celebration involving all the players and management at the dugouts. Owen Newman was again superb at the back but for a quality, expressive performance MOM was Garrett Ward. Eight game unbeaten run continues. Next game at home to Bungay Town Reserves meet 1.15pm. Training back outside this week, Tuesday 6.30pm start good turn out expected. Squad from: Lambert, Crane, Sharman, Newman, Macmillan, S Johnson, Carter, Robson, A Ward, G Ward, Hughes, Middleton, Mansfield, Gislem, Barrett, Nudd, Sparky, Walpole, Waitt, Jarvis.

CATFIELD Credit to MK for fielding a full side who for the 1st half thanks to some excellent goal keeping managed to keep the score down to a respectable 2-0 deficit, with the Cats changing their system 4-3-3 in the 2nd half and MK running out of steam the Cats dominated and were well worth their win. Still a lot to play for this season and all players are needed to ensure that the Cats give every effort to try and retain their title next game Easter Monday vs Caister Roma in the Wiltshire Cup final at the Wellesley ko 10.30am be at ground for 9.45 please any problems call Selfy 07831 228007 or Bev 07917 711596.

CCC played Gorleston Albion and put in a hardworking dogged display winning the game 3-1. The early exchanges were even but the CCC were indebted to keeper Reece Heller who made a low one on one save with his feet to keep the score nil nil. The CCC began to improve after their relatively poor start and took the lead through a Ronaldo esq header from dynamic winger Olly Wells. Olly closed down the full back and intercepted the ball beat two men and played the ball wide to Danny Heller who whipped across in for Danny to head home. The CCC were now beginning to get in their stride and Olly again went close after intercepting the ball. The centre midfield pairing of Berti and Snowling were controlling the game in the middle, with the defence very much on top playing a good line. After half time the CCC extended their lead through Ross Vanden Ecker who got on the end of a Danny through ball and flicked the ball past the keeper. After this the CCC had plenty of the ball but were unable to create many chances, but did nearly score after a great run from Dean MacGregor saw the ball cut back but the chance missed. As the game wore on Albion began to create more chances and their midfield got on top and they got a goal back to set up a tense finish. The CCC made some changes with Ryan MacGregor coming on the wing to push Dean in midfield to get the CCC back on top, and David Barwick came on to add some pace to the frontline and work rate for the tiring Ross. The changes had the desired effect of the team getting more into the game, but the defence were still under a lot of pressure which they dealt with remarkably well, with Zac Brown standing out with several brave strong clearances in the frantic finish to the game. In the last moments the CCC gave away a corner to set up a dynamic finish to the game in which Albion sent their keeper up for the corner. The corner was put in with the ball cleared out to the edge of the CCC box where it was gathered by Dean who then struck the ball forward towards the unmanned Albion goal. Energetic full back Alex Armes ran after the ball and put the ball in from a couple of yards from the line before the Albion defender was able to get the ball away to seal the match in the final seconds. Man of the match was Zac who defended brilliantly and was simply faultless throughout the match.

CAISTER VETS saw their last realistic chance of silverware disappear after a creditable 5 – 2 defeat at home to Premier Division Bungay in the Semi Finals of the Shield. Caister matched their illustrious opponents for the majority of the match and had key decisions not gone against them then the scoreline would have been much more indicative of the balance of play. Caister started on the front foot and Wayne Hunter was put through only to see his effort blocked twice. Bungay scored from their first attack when the ball was played out to the winger who appeared to control it with his arm before crossing to the back post where it was superbly volleyed home. Caister remained in the ascendancy and appeared to be denied a clear penalty. Martin Jacobs was put through and his heavy first touch took the ball past the keeper who made no contact with the ball and only succeeded in taking out Jacobs. They did soon draw level when Paul Jacobs headed home a free kick at the back post. Caister then lost Hunter to injury and then his replacement Dan Sims also had to go off shortly afterwards after suffering a bad knee injury. Everyone at the club wishes him well. The lengthy stoppage seemed to affect Caister as Bungay scored twice in the space of a couple of minutes. The second was a well-worked break after Caister lost possession on the halfway line and the third was a stunning strike from an acute angle. Caister again fought back and Bowman won possession and fed Richard Fruin who knocked it back to Matty Wells whose return pass released Fruin to beat the keeper. This remained the score at the break with Caister desperately unlucky to be behind having had the most clear chances. The game continued to ebb and flow but Bungay gained a crucial 2 goal cushion with a close range finish. Caister then brought on Andy Gooda who had crawled off his sick bed to provide cover due to Caister’s early injuries. Fruin then produced a delightful cross which Bowman was unable to get over heading over the bar and then Bowman dummied a cut back only for Martin Jacobs to see his effort from eight yards superbly blocked. Bowman then beat the keeper to a Gooda free kick with the keeper clattering into him but again Caister were denied a penalty. Bungay added an undeserved 5th when a corner took a couple of ricochets before it was clearly controlled by the forward with his hand before he finished well. MoM: Fruin. This was a superb performance by Caister and if they take this form into their last two league games then they still have a slim chance of gaining promotion.Caister’s next match is on April 15 at home to Kings Head Loddon. This is a 2.30pm kick-off. Meet at the Caister field at 1.15.

Most Read

GORLESTON RANGERS LADIES played against Sprowston Ladies with both teams missing players which I’m sure was same problem across the board but it was a tight start. Gorleston took a 1-0 lead and with players having to play out of positioning it was a bit scrappy but ladies battled well. A back line of Amy Mac in goal, Jazz, Sasha, Amy, Cyan are linking up well and getting stronger as a group. The midfield of Betty, Katherine, Sam, Amy Giles with Lauren Dennis and tall Sam with Lauren Halliwell all created chances and got the reward with a comfortable 6-1 win. There was a missed penalty but Sprowston scored theirs. Sasha floated a corner in and after several near misses during the season Katherine got her reward. Other goals were: a long-distance strike from Lauren Dennis and a 20-yarder from little Sam, a neat finish by tall Sam and a well deserved goal from Lauren Halliwell. Happy Easter to you all from Steve. Thanks Andrew for running line for us.

KINGS ARMS VETERANS After observing a minutes silence for the sad loss of Jimmy Jones, we took a giant step towards the Division One title against a good Griffin side. We started off well for a change with a strong squad and made all the early running. However after 20 minutes an uncharacteristic mistake from Irish handed the opposition the lead. This prompted a good reaction from us and a trademark free kick form Camo forced an OG for the equaliser. Stevie Smith then put us ahead with a terrific finish to see us in front at half-time. The second half saw us comfortably retain our lead with solid defending from Irish and Moyesy. Taz finally put us further ahead with another well-taken goal. A dodgy late penalty saw us wobble a bit, but we saw time out for a good 3-2 victory. This leaves us needing two points from two games to secure the title.

MK UTD completed the league programme with a 8-0 defeat by champions-elect Catfield. With the side we were forced to field this in the end turned out to be quite a respectable scoreline. Only 2-0 down at half time we as expected ran out of steam in the second half. A big thanks to young Conner Ruff and Daniel Tennison making their debuts for the first team, Kevin Reeve at 55 and playing a full 90 minutes outfield for the first time in two years and Dale with only one game since Christmas you all did yourselves proud. We have some cup games coming up. All outstanding fines and match fees need to be paid before the season is concluded, no game this week.

STALHAM TOWN RESERVES final trip of the season saw us travel to East Harling Reserves needing five points from the final three games to ensure we finish at least runners-up in the league. We were nearly dealt a massive blow when Jordan Barnard twisted his knee badly in the warm-up and wasn’t sure that he could start, thankfully Fee Haystead sorted his knee out and with heavy bandaging, some paracetamol and a knee strap he managed to hobble on to the pitch. We welcomed Tom Gilbert back into the team after missing the last fivew games and his presence was a major lift for us as we tried to make sure that last week’s epic win wasn’t wasted against a side we had beaten 4-0 earlier in the season. Harling started well and had us under a bit of early pressure, although they never forced Jordan to make any saves at all. Once we’d settled, we played the ball around well and created chances with Danny Camish using his pace to great effect down the left and he tried to set Ross Charlton up, but the first was just behind him and the next was blocked. Danny then had a good turn and shot of his own, but the keeper palmed the shot away. From the resulting corner Jamie Hopwood rose well but his header was just too high. On 17 minutes, good play in the middle of the park resulted in Tom Gilbert sending Danny away and his pinpoint pass was tucked away by the grateful Ross Charlton from three yards out for 1-0. Scott Charlton tested the keeper with a free kick that he somehow kept out with his foot and the ball just flew past Tom Gilbert and away to safety and soon after Michael Green’s good run set up a chance for himself, that was saved. A flowing move resulted in the ball finding Ross and he laid it back to Craig Arnold who spotted the keeper off his line and tried his luck, the ball beat the keeper, but went just the wrong side of the post. We thought we’d doubled the lead when Tom Gilbert hit a wind- assisted free kick from 35 yards that dropped nicely over the keeper and in, but the referee gave a free kick nowhere near the keeper, a bit harsh to say the least. In the last minute of the first half we did score again when Danny Camish cleared the ball from our 18-yard line and it fell nicely for Ross to run on and round the keeper to score, although he nearly slipped at the vital moment. Sound defending and good play protecting Jordan meant that we deserved our two-goal lead and it could have been more. In the second half they had to come at us which created space and opportunities for us to get more goals. Sure enough, within two minutes of the restart Craig got free on the right, played a good ball for Ross who turned sharply in the area and finished well to make it 3-0. We then went into cruise mode and never gave them anything which allowed us to make changes early giving players a rest for Wednesday’s big match. Ross had a good chance, but lifted the ball over the keeper and unfortunately over the bar too. Jack Peters made some good progress down the left and he played a neat pass for David Willis to try his luck from just outside the area, unfortunately his effort just went over the bar. We didn’t have to wait too long for 4-0 when further good play by Danny Camish set Scott Bishop free and he worked his way into the area and slotted home calmly from 12 yards for his first Stalham goal. Substitute Tom Orr came on and nearly made an instant impact as he raced clear, but his finish lacked power and the keeper gathered easily. With 88 minutes on the clock, Ross notched his fourth to make it 5-0, when brother Scott set him away and he finished clinically, as he has for 42 times this season so far. Although Ross scored four, the Marie Meale Photography Man of the Match goes to Danny Camish, who worked tirelessly and was involved in virtually everything good and his overall play was exemplary. We now enter the most important week of our season with a Cup Final on Wednesday and a must win game against Scole Reserves on Saturday.


BOHEMIANS U10 played away at Halesworth. The game proved to be a difficult one and with a difficult pitch and a physical Halesworth side the Bohs went behind. Scott again was deputising for Jack D in goal and pulled off some great saves. Jack G, Leroy and Cameron had to stand tall and get stuck in and that is exactly what they did. Declan and Harrison tried to play football the right way and at times the Bohs looked capable of getting back into the game. Leighton. Billy and Connor kept going right to the end with Billy’s persistant run teeing up Connor for an excellent finish. Although the Bohs came away with nothing it wasnt for lack of effort. Final Score 3-1 MOM: Billy

BREYDON U12 played away to Ormesby Lads and achieved a win that secured them fourth place in the U12 Division Three. Goals from Kane 2, Dani and Reagan, came about because of some excellent teamwork by all the lads, putting into practice what they have been taught in training. Although Breydon have played better in other games, the score was kept to what it was by some great saves by the Ormesby keeper and the spirit of never to give up by the rest of his team. With a score of 4-0 to Breydon at the final whistle, both teams came off the pitch to a worthy round of applause from both sets of supporters. MoM for Breydon went to Matthew for yet another all-round steady game. The Breydon squad were awarded the prize of having Easter off (not too many eggs) and to report for training on Friday, April 20. With the league football now complete, a big thank you goes from all the players and parents to James and Graham for the total commitment they have given throughout the season which has been an inspiration to all players and supporters. Next big event for Breydon is the Breydon United Tournament at the Burgh Castle playing field on Saturday June 30, Sunday July 1. More info will follow.

CAISTER CENTURIONS U11 took on Hemsby Hornets in their penultimate Division One fixture. The first half was a close affair, but Caister did have the more possession and produced two well-taken goals. Again the second half was edged by Caister, but with Hemsby always dangerous on the break the second half goals were shared leaving a final score of Hemsby 3 Caister 5 (Alex 2, Logan 1, Willsy 1, Alfie 1). Again the nine Caister players showed great determination and team spirit to secure a good win over a good Hemsby side. MoM: Zach, a workhorse and ball winner in midfield, who sets up play time and time again for the Caister attack.

CAISTER RANGERS Reception and Year 1 Football. New football group commencing on Thursday, May 17 at The John Grant School, Caister, 5.45-6.45pm. Interested players should be in reception or school year 1. Training is taken by FA qualified coach. To book a place or for further information telephone Chris on 07795 661707 or just turn up on the night.

CAISTER RANGERS SOCCER TOTS New football group commencing on Thursday, April 19 at The John Grant School, Caister, 4.45-5.45pm. Interested players should be aged between 3 and 4 years old. Training is taken by FA qualified coach. To book a place or for further information telephone Chris on 07795 661707 or just turn up on the night.

CAISTER ROMA are starting up a new U7 team for next season. Any players who will be in school year two next year who are looking to play football in a friendly, sociable and safe environment can contact the team manager Neil Bowman on 07880 912157. The first training session will be on Saturday, April 14 at 1.30pm at the Caister Playing Field.

COBHOLM U8 played our last game of the season away to Caister. With it being the last match, I thought we would make it a bit of fun, with all players playing in different positions and Hadley taking over the manager’s role for the day. Buddy was put in goal and pulled off a few good saves, Danielle was up front swapping with Louie both working hard for the team, Bailey played in a few positions and worked hard up and the pitch even trying out the defence role. Kieron was on the wing and in the middle and also had a go in defence. Toby played a mixture of positions and stood firm in defence and played some great balls through to his team mates. Cobholm played some great one-touch football and it was nice to watch them playing like that and also taking note of commands Hadley was giving them. This week’s captain Thom had a cracking game playing several positions battling hard, tackling well and playing nice football with his team-mates, he was also unlucky in front of goal on a number of occassions. George played a lot longer this week coming on and off several times up front trying his best and was also unlucky in front of goal. This was a good team performance from all player’s trying their best in positions they not used to, and no doubt in my mind if we were in our normal positions what the outcome would have been. MoM: Thom for his outstanding performance. We will now have a break for several weeks and I will be in touch with you with some tournament dates. This has been a great effort by all players this season and I can see a real improvement in you all as a team from the beginning of the season. You should all be proud of yourselves. We would also like to thank all parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters etc for all their support and help throughout the year, turning out in all weather conditions.

FC BRADWELL U12 BRAZIL played their last game of the season against table-topping Long Stratton. Bradwell had a brilliant first half and kept it to 1-0 but went for a fun end-of-season second half. The defenders went up front. The strikers went in defence and the goalkeeper swapped with a midfielder. It was a real fun end to a really enjoyable season. MoM: the hard tackling Lewis and Reece. The boys have been unbelievable this season, they have improved massively and they have been great fun to work with. Their attitude and effort has been immense and they have set a brilliant example for what youth football should be about. The parents are, without doubt the best and the most supportive parents possible, so a massive, massive thanks to all the supporters. Thanks also to Andy, Glenn, Phil & Logan for all their support. This has been a really special and enjoyable season for all, never to be forgotten, so well done and thanks to the following for making it so special – James, Josh (Capt), Sam (Vice Capt), Vash, Reece, Mitchell, Cameron, Joe, Max, Ben, Logan & Lewis

FC BRADWELL SPAIN U12 played away against Division Two champions Kirkley & Pakefield Gunners in this end-of-season top-of-the-table clash at the weekend. Bradwell were quick out of the blocks and were pressing the unbeaten Kirkley. After this sustained pressure Jack broke through the Kirkley defence to fire Bradwell into the lead. With Bradwell pushing forward at every opportunity Kirkley found it difficult to break through the Bradwell defence. However a routine header back to Shaun from Henry somehow went through Shaun’s hands and legs and trickled over the line. If that wasn’t bad enough Henry’s sliced clearance again found its way past Shaun to give Kirkley the lead. With Bradwell trying to find their shape again Kirkley hit a third after Bradwell were slow in pushing down from defence. Bradwell tried to put the misfortunes of the first half behind them but within five minutes Bradwell were down to eight players after Luis fell awkwardly. Matters got worse when Toby had to come off after an ankle injury which took us to seven players. Bradwell kept playing and were awarded a penalty and Shaun stepped up but blasted it straight at the keeper which summed the afternoon up. Kirkley eventually put the game out of reach with a late goal but frankly it was never going to be. Well done to all the boys from both sides, parents, spectators and officials. Team: Shaun, Alex, Luis, Henry, Connor, Aaron, Toby, Jack & Ben. MoM: Henry Nettleton, had a difficult day but kept trying.

GORLESTON RANGERS annual presentation night will once again will be held at the Ocean Room, Gorleston-on-Sea on Saturday, May 19. Doors will open at 6pm with presentations commencing at 6-45pm. Please speak to team managers for tickets. Adults �3 and children �2. There will be a free cash draw, see details on tickets. Admission will be by ticket only.

GORLESTON RANGERS MINI HOOPS U5&6 Training will recommence on Wednesday, April 18 as follows in Wroughton Junior School Hall (via Burgh Road entrance): U5 group 5.30-6.30pm and U6 group 6.30-7.30pm. Due to further expansion of the groups, there are places available in both groups. The Club is currently the largest youth club in Norfolk and a FA Chartered Standard Development Club. Training is directed by a FA level 2 coach. For more details ring Chris on 01493 601256 or Graham on 01502 730923.

GORLESTON RANGERS U15 EAGLES finished their league fixtures with a visit to a Waveney team who had held them to a 2-2 draw earlier in the season, however it was evident from the opening five minutes that the same scoreline was highly unlikely. Ranger’s midfield five monopolised possession and had all the attacking play. Waveney were limited to long clearances and found it hard to find a free player as Rangers were closing them down tightly. After 10 minutes Cameron Brooks skipped into the box, past two defenders and pulled back a delightful cross which Jed Knights dispatched into the roof of the net. 10 minutes later another Brooks through ball was held up by Callum Batley who laid it back to Jay Turner who rifled it into the top corner to put Rangers 2-0 ahead. Rangers had the more clear cut chances and Batley was unlucky to see his chip rebound off the bar & back into the arms of the grateful Waveney keeper. At the other end the back three of Taylor Jackson, Ollie Brown and Lawson Crago-Moore dealt well with the rare Waveney attacks limiting them to a couple of long-range targets which never bothered keeper Barnes.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first and with Nelson Carinhas replacing Batley & Ryan Dakin replacing Declan Round the formation changed to a 4-4-2 which allowed Waveney back into the game marginally and they finally managed a shot on target after 55 minutes. Shortly afterwards Tom Shilling collected a pass on the edge of the Waveney box and unleashed a powerful drive which struck one post and nestled inside the other leaving the Waveney keeper stranded. With 15 minutes to go Nelson Carinhas swung in an inviting right wing corner which was met powerfully by man of the match Taylor Jackson to complete the scoring and give Rangers a resounding 4-0 away victory.

My sincere thanks to all the players for their commitment and efforts over the season, also thank you to Mike Tranah at Seatronics for his kind and valued sponsorship. Not forgetting the parents, grandparents, extended families etc….for their fantastic support during this campaign, it is really appreciated by the manager.

Thank you to Paul Brooks for writing such detailed reports week in week out. Will keep in touch re training, tournaments etc….and date for your diary, Gorleston Rangers presentation night Saturday, May 19 at the Ocean Rooms.

ORMESBY LADS U12 In the final game of the season Ormesby were at home to Breydon Utd. Ormesby looked a bit sluggish early on but still created good chances for Leon and Jamie and the back three of Ralph, Callum and Ellie were coping well with the opposing strikeforce. Breydon were gifted the lead after a moment of indecision in front of goal and this allowed them to grow in confidence and Andrew had to be at his best, making several excellent saves, as they sought to increase the lead. Jordan and Victoria worked hard in midfield against their physically stronger opponents and Sam was covering a lot of ground coming back to win the ball then driving forward. Breydon scored again to lead 2-0 at half time. In the second half Ormesby pushed for the goal to get themselves back in the game, Antonio made some determined runs through the Breydon defence but couldn’t score the goal he and the team deserved. With Ormesby pressing forward gaps opened up and Breydon scored two late goals to wrap up the win in a game that was closer than the score suggests. Thanks to Graham for reffing. MoM: Andrew, did his job superbly, well done to the whole team for their efforts this season. Remember to get your sponsors in for the Epilepsy Action 24hr football marathon on April 13/14 at Yo Football.

RANGERS SOCCER TOTS Training will recommence on Friday, April 20 in Wroughton Junior School hall, Burgh Road, 4.30-5.30pm. Interested players should be aged between three and four years old. Training is taken by FA qualified coach. To book a place or for further information telephone Chris on 077956 61707 or just turn up on the night.

SCI are holding their annual two-day football festival on Saturday and Sunday, May 5/6 at Mill Lane, Bradwell. This event attracts teams from all over the UK and to compliment the event there is a few places left in the following age groups - Boys U8/9/10 7-a-side;

Boys U11/13 11-a-side;

Girls U14 7-a-side. Cost to enter is �20 and all participating teams will receive an invite to attend the presentation evening which will be held on the Sunday evening at Haven, Seashore. Players will be presented with trophies which will be presented by a well-known football player.