Kickboxing brother and sister Remy and Tia on world glory trail
A pair of Yarmouth siblings are fighting their way to the top and have been picked to represent the country at world kickboxing championships in America this year.
Tia and Remy Sayer, of Tennyson Road, Great Yarmouth, have only been taking part in the sport for two years but they have managed to claim an impressive number of titles between them.
The pair train at the town’s K9 gym four times a week.
Their dad, Scott, 37, said: “They have been chosen to represent England in the summer championships which will be held in Orlando in September. I’m proud as punch of them.
“They wanted to try the sport and see what it was like – there was no pressure from us as parents. We said if they liked it then they could carry on.”
Tia, 12, who attends Great Yarmouth high school has won the 2012 WKA Northern open title and 10-year-old Remy, a pupil at St Nicholas Priory Junior School, holds three national titles – the NAKB under 25kgs, five nations under 30kgs and WKA British open championships under 25kgs.
However Mr Sayer, an operations manager, and his wife, Diane, 37, are trying to rally support and sponsorship from the community to cover the cost of flying the youngsters abroad to compete.
- 1 Hunted winner reveals show secrets in Instagram diary
- 2 Plea as ducklings routinely snatched by killer seagulls
- 3 Lifeboat crew rescues woman from Great Yarmouth river
- 4 'Historic' ground share agreement sealed for season
- 5 GP wished they could have done more for man found dead at home
- 6 Football club president is face known to thousand of Hippodrome fans
- 7 From classic cars to monster trucks - Wheels Festival draws thousands
- 8 Roadworks to know about in Great Yarmouth and Gorleston this week
- 9 Former BBC Three comedian coming to Gorleston venue
- 10 Hair salon on the hunt for local heroes to thank
“I have got to pay because the sport isn’t funded,” Mr Sayer said.
“If anyone wanted to supply sponsorship or help the kids, we will be able to advertise their business. It would be great if anyone could help - they are local kids who are doing the town proud.
“Hopefully they will come back with gold medals.
“We have got a fantastic record at the world championships and we are the most successful kickboxing club in East Anglia.
“The club has got a fantastic record. They are fiercely-competitive kids.
“They started kickboxing after they saw my friend who does it. They are very excited about America. They have got a lot of tournaments before they go.”
The couple’s five-year-old daughter, Keira, has also expressed an interest in the sport and has taken part in her first few matches.
Mr Sayer added: “They are very disciplined kids. The sport is all done properly – they wear guards and have minimum contact. It’s more about point scoring than contact. There’s no malice.”
To sponsor Tia or Remy please contact Mr Sayer on 07836331249 or email firstname.lastname@example.org