Kirkley sail to victory
Kirkley and Pakefield won The Sailor Brown Memorial Trophy at Gorleston Football Club on Saturday.The five team tournament was held as a tribute to Yarmouth born football legend Bert “Sailor” Brown.
Kirkley and Pakefield won The Sailor Brown Memorial Trophy at Gorleston Football Club on Saturday.
The five team tournament was held as a tribute to Yarmouth born football legend Bert “Sailor” Brown.
Goals from Chris Henderson and Tarin Grint gave Kirkley a comfortable 2-0 victory over the Greens in the final.
Kirkley shared a 2-2 draw with Gorleston in group stage of the competition that also included Blofield United, Caister and Lowestoft.
The trophy is set to become an annual event in honour of Mr Brown, who died aged 93 last December.
During a distinguished career he played for Charlton, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa.
- 1 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 2 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 8 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 9 Consultant maps his medical journey
- 10 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
Mr Brown returned to his home town to manage Gorleston after his top flight career ended.
Amongst those attending the tournament was his daughter Julie Munro, who travelled down from Scotland for the occasion.
For a full report see this week's Yarmouth Mercury.
Gorleston 0 Blofield 1
Lowestoft 3 Caister 2
Kirkley 2 Gorleston 2
Blofield 0 Lowestoft 0
Caister 0 Kirkley 2
Gorleston 1 Lowestoft 0
Blofield 2 Caister1
Kirkley 1 Lowestoft 0
Gorleston 4 Caister 0
Blofield 0 Kirkley 2
Kirkley 2 Gorleston 0