L&Y suffer first home defeat of the season

PUBLISHED: 21:02 02 November 2012

Action from Lowestoft & Yarmouth Rugby Club's game against Holt. Photo: MICK HOWES.

Action from Lowestoft & Yarmouth Rugby Club's game against Holt. Photo: MICK HOWES.


Lowestoft & Yarmouth 10, Holt 20

L&Y lost at Gunton Park for the first time this season to a deserving Holt team full of endeavour, but the home side were furious with themselves for a below-par performance which gifted the points to their Norfolk rivals.

After three bonus point wins to start the season, L&Y have now had puzzling change of fortunes in the past three matches precipitated by the fallout of the abandoned game at Stevenage and now followed by two further losses annoyingly against fellow Norfolk teams.

In this match, the visitors started sharply but were blown away for 30 minutes by some superb continuity play by L&Y, however rather than press on in the second half, L&Y faded and Holt scored a pair of tries to take the spoils.

Holt started with the wind and immediately took up camp in the L&Y 22. A strangely lethargic L&Y defence did manage to hold them out, but when Russ Chapman conceded a midfield scrum by kicking a drop-out into touch, the young Holt fly-half threw a couple of dummies which opened a huge hole for him to race to the line for an unconverted score.

L&Y then responded by finally retaining some possession and setting up a thrilling attack with a multi-phase sequence moving first down the right then switching left for Matt Howell to eventually put Tyler Beales racing over in the corner to even the score. With L&Y ruling the breakdown at this point, Holt struggled to cope with the home attacks.

Around the half hour, Dave Tiueti tapped and ran a midfield penalty to release Myles McAlone on a strong charge down the right wing before swift recycling allowed Chapman, Tom Dare and Scott Nelson to give Howell space to score his own try on the left.

From the restart, L&Y conceded a penalty which Holt converted to close the gap to two points. Midway through the half, a period of L&Y attack came to a close with a Holt clearance to space. The L&Y back three failed to deal with the bouncing ball and the resulting kick-chase forced a penalty inside the L&Y 22, which was quickly taken and the Holt fly-half raced through a back-pedalling defence to score his second try and the conversion took them five points ahead.

A superb set of line-outs down Holts left flank were each driven and three times L&Y conceded a penalty and further ground until eventually Holt drove over for their final try.

Three times L&Y they had kickable penalty chances to rescue at least a losing bonus point but spurned them in the quest for a try.

L&Y: Howe, Powles, Bristo, Wilkinson, Port, Adams, Baxter, Thomas, Chapman, Dare, McAlone, Nelson, Tiueti, Howell, Beales

Bench: McElroy, Cook, Beer

Tries: Beales, Howell

Norwich Medics 2s 0, Lowestoft and Yarmouth 2s 69

L&Y forwards tool control of the ball from the off, setting up a safe ruck and quick ball for Stuart Moore to give his backs. The ball was swiftly passed out to Dave Palmer at outside centre, who ran in the first of his four tries for the day. All this was within the first minute of the game but to the Medics’ credit they came out strongly from the restart.

From the next phase of play the Medics conceded a scrum on the halfway line, giving Martin Greenwood his first scrum at tight head at senior level.

Much of the first half was played in the Medics’ territory with attack after attack coming from L&Y. Donald MacArthur, sitting in the fly-half position, distributed ball to his centres Hayden Wright and Palmer, to crash through the Medics’ defensive line. The next try come from a series of well orchestrated pick and gos from the L&Y forwards, with some deft offloads from Dougie Archer and Gavin Pashler bringing a ruck on the Medics’ try line. Scrum half Moore drove through a small gap in the defence to give L&Y their second try and also two more points from the conversion, also scored by Moore. Palmer then run in a further try for Lewis Fox to convert. Hooker Luc Breij scored near the posts, with Moore converting.

The dominence of the L&Y forwards continued with a powerful eight-man drive turning over ball for the visitors. The resulting quick ball allowed Palmer to score again, blasting through the line and two tackles to increase the lead.

Front row debutant Greenwood, who showed great aggression on the change to hammer through the defence and score under the posts, for Fox to convert.

The second half became more one-sided after injuries suffered by the Medics. Hayden Wright took a one-handed pass from Donald MacArthur and ran in from just inside the 22, Moore converting. A rampaging run by Paul Mcllwaine from the kick-off bamboozled would-be tacklers and support runners alike, the rangy Irishman scoring his second try in his first season of rugby. Moore converted. Further tries came from elusive wing Gareth Bowker and the ever present Stu Moore.

MoM: Luc Breij. L&Y II host Broadlands tomorrow.

L&Y U13 34 Swaffham U13 15

L&Y had the stronger of the two packs, and scored early through a charging run from prop Connor Neale, converted by fly half Tom Keeble.

The next score came out wide following a sinuous run from flanker Johannes Langer Keeble converted from right on the touchline.

Swaffam replied with a breakaway score. Wing Alan McEwan was rewarded with another try out wide which was quickly followed by a score for fly half Keeble who jinked his way through following great team handling.

Swaffam had the last score of the half after some weak tackling allowed their centre to race away. This made the half time score 24-10.

A couple of injuries and changes meant that all the available players took to the pitch for the second half.

Scrum half Taylor Holland capped an excellent match with two close-range scores with the conversions being narrowly missed.The impressive Swaffam scrum half used his pace to go round the defence and score out wide.

MoM: captain Owen Mullen.

Other Great Yarmouth sport

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Acle United Women moved to the top of the ERWFL Premier Division after a 1-0 victory at Haringey Borough.

Martyn Sinclair and Adam Mason didn’t have a win to cheer them after their 50 mile charity walk despite a brave show from the young Bloaters.

Friday, November 30, 2018

An injury-time penalty condemned Gorleston to their third defeat in a row.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

This newspaper and Bullards are offering four lucky people the chance to spend an exclusive day behind the scenes at Norwich City Football Club’s training ground.

Most Read

Yesterday, 16:09

One Great Yarmouth home has fully embraced the Christmas spirit this year, all in the name of a good cause.

Read more

A joyrider was arrested after crashing into a traffic bollard - and was found to be more than three times the legal driving limit when police breathalysed him.

Read more
Great Yarmouth police
Yesterday, 12:00

The future of Great Yarmouth is bright, according to council bosses leading the transformation charge in the borough.

Read more
Trevor Wainwright
Friday, December 7, 2018

Taco Bell has opened its doors in Great Yarmouth for the first time after a surprise early opening, much to the delight of fans of the Tex-Mex fast food chain.

Read more
United States
Friday, December 7, 2018

A train driver who has seen four people die while he was at the controls has described the lasting effect it has had on his life.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: -0°C

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy