Ladies march on in style as they hit their hosts with four goals
- Credit: PA
Acle United Ladies travelled to mid-table Billericay for a tough challenge in their bid to gain promotion to the FAWPL and won 4-1.
In the 25th minute, the breakthrough came for the visitors. From a mistake from the keeper, a number of short passes between Wells and Todd saw the latter take the ball around the advancing keeper and slot into an empty net.
Despite having the possession and territory, the visitors still had only a single-goal lead. Larkins and Todd were linking up well down the right and a move culminated with Todd having an effort well saved by the Billericay goalkeeper.
Acle eventually doubled their lead on 44 minutes. Bullard advanced with the ball from 20 yards before unleashing a strike which sailed over the goalkeeper and into the roof of the net.
There was no let-up from Acle after the break and it took only two minutes to increase their lead when Wells struck a stunning left-footer into the top corner and a minute later Todd completed her brace by twisting and turning in and out of two defenders and striking a shot past the advancing goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
On 64 minutes, Billericay had an opportunity to find a way back into the game, however, the shot trickled past the far post. Then a minute later Acle thought they had another goal, however, this was ruled out for offside.
With Rowland controlling the midfield, ably assisted by Ladbrooke, and the back four well marshalled by Shields and Goodfield, the visitors rarely looked in danger. Play was stopped for a while as Goodfield received treatment after being caught in the face by a midfielder, before Acle made a substitution with Copeman replacing Bullard.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 7 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 8 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 9 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 10 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
Todd had a chance to complete her hat-trick, however, she didn’t execute her shot to perfection as it sailed over the bar, whilst at the other end, Billericay had a shot from the edge of the area which Hooper dealt well with in the Acle goal.
With a minute remaining, a mixture of losing focus and not tracking back saw Billericay grab a consolation goal.
Acle: Hooper, Larkins, Goodfield, Shields, McGuire, Rowland, Ladbrooke, Pasque,Todd, Wells, Bullard (Copeman). Subs: Scully.
On Sunday, the Ladies entertain bottom side Histon at Bridewell Lane at 2pm.