Late controversy as depleted Gorleston suffer narrow defeat

Amar Lewis slides home what proved to be Stowmarket's winner against Gorleston on Tuesday evening. P

Amar Lewis slides home what proved to be Stowmarket's winner against Gorleston on Tuesday evening. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

All the action was at the beginning and end of Tuesday evening’s match as Gorleston suffered their second defeat in a row.

The Greens made two changes from the defeat to Newmarket with Isaac Burrage ill and Jack Garrod unavailable. Ismael Fatadjo and Eliott Hannant replaced them.

However, Gorleston were down to the bare bones of their squad with 15 players out, meaning stand-in managers Gary Ingram and Matty Potter had to name themselves as the only two outfield subs.

Stowmarket had the better start with two early shots, one saved by Taurean Molloy and another cleared off the line.

In the eighth minute Amar Lewis cut in and shot from the right of the box. Molloy got the faintest of fingertips on it to turn it onto the frame of the goal but it was only a temporary reprieve as the visitors took the lead three minutes later.

Peter Lambert, at centre back for the match, tried to clear the ball but it smacked into Connor Deeks’ chest and rebounded nicely for Lewis to send him clear and he rounded Molloy before slotting home.

The first half had belonged to the hosts, who looked stronger and sharper than Gorleston, and they continued to boss the game as the second half wore on.

Most Read

The Greens finally began to show some belief and put some pressure on the Stow defence with a couple of free-kicks and a corner and it was Fatadjo who brought out a save from the keeper in the 73rd minute with a 20 yard effort after Connor and Kyle Ingram had linked up.

Kyle then limped off after a strong challenge in midfield and was replaced by his dad, who went up front to play alongside other son Connor.

A Greens corner saw Deeks shoot wide before Molloy had to make his only save of the half with three minutes remaining after Josh Mayhew countered from a Gorleston attack.

Gary Ingram was then flattened by what looked like a shoulder to the face inside the boxD as he tried to get onto a loose ball but the referee wasn’t interested. As the ball was crossed back into the box it dropped down and appeared to hit both hands of a defender but again play was waved on.

Gorleston: Molloy, Hitch, Kounnas, McKay, Deeks, Lambert, Fatadjo, Hannant, C Ingram, K Ingram, (G Ingram 85), Watts.