Late tries sink Broadland-GY in friendly with Wymondham
Broadland - Gt Yarmouth 7 Wymondham II 22
Broadland hosted a strong Wymondham II in a friendly at the weekend. It was a close match with the visitors securing the win with two late tries.
There was a strong wind blowing from end to end providing considerable advantage. Wymondham started with the wind in their favour and pinned Broadland deep in their own half through a succession of deep kicks, the back three of Tom Weston, Ben Collings and Stuart Murray dealt with the aerial onslaught very well, but were forced to run the ball out. Wymondham eventually crossed the line to take the lead.
Broadland’s first half attacking was solid, but progress down field was slow. Fly half Simon Ruddick had a half break, but quality support was lacking, and as soon as Wymondham gained possession the deep wind assisted the kick, which set Broadland back inside their own 22 metre line.
Broadland were putting in a very high tackle count, with Jimmy Dwyer and Jerome Mason setting the standard.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham eventually found a gap as a scrum rotated almost 90 degrees, providing an easy score which took Wymondham’s lead to 10-0 as the team broke for half time.
Broadland almost got off to a flying start as Richard Ruddick picked off a loose pass. Ruddick went 50 metres but was pulled down at the five metre line.
- 1 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 4 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 5 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 6 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 7 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 8 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 9 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
- 10 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
Captain Stacey Ledgerwood came up in support quickly but a trailing Wymondham hand prevented the score. Broadland pressed Wymondham hard. Some solid work from Steve Brown and Sam French provided Broadland with fast and clean ball, which scrum half Buckley was able to utilise to great effect. Weston and Howley moved the ball forward, before a penalty gave Broadland the chance to kick to the corner. A clean line-out from hooker Ant Payne set the platform and flanker Ed Dixon collected the ball at pace, jinking in and out before going over to score. Murray converted.
Broadland kept the pressure up, but a counter from Wymondham added to the scoring. In the dying seconds of the game Wymondham launched a final attack from right to left. Asa Morrison and Liam Howlett both made good tackles, but Broadland simply ran out of numbers wide.
Broadland return to league action as they travel to play West Norfolk.
Tries: E Dixon.
Conversion: S Murray 1 of 1.
Team: S Murray, B Collings, S Ledgerwood (Capt) S Howley, T Weston, S Ruddick, P Buckley, J Dwyer, A Payne, J Mason, S Brown, S French, R Ruddick, E Dixon, A Morrison.
Replacement: L Howlett (40min).