Local fencers make their point at in big event at Lowestoft

Action from Great Yarmouth and Waveney Fencing Club's invitation event. Picture: Club

Action from Great Yarmouth and Waveney Fencing Club's invitation event. Picture: Club - Credit: Archant

Great Yarmouth and Waveney Fencing Club’s Foil Invitation competition was hosted by Ormiston Denes Academy in Lowestoft.

The event, which provided for junior boys and girls and senior men and women, attracted entrants from throughout the Eastern region and from further afield.

The local clubs were well represented with medals in the juniors being secured. First place was awarded to Evie Lawrence of Great Yarmouth and Waveney while second place went to Natasha Peacock of the Norfolk Academy of Fencing with colleagues Rose Blyth and Eve Kelleway joint third.

In the boy’s event first place went to George Keogh of Salle Paul, a London fencing club. Second was Great Yarmouth and Waveney’s Duncan Metherell and third was Christopher Swaddling of Affondo, a Norwich club.

Natalia Rowe of Norfolk Fencing Club the eventual winner of the women’s senir title, having beaten Becky Kingston of Bury St Edmunds.

Third place was shared by Monica Bosworth of Stowmarket and Irina Lepadatu of Oxford University.

The senior men’s saw Joseph Igali of Norfolk Fencing Club, president of Sheffield University Fencing Club, the eventual winner after a dramatic semi-final bout which was fought against a valiant Adam Barnard of Great Yarmouth and Waveney.

Most Read

Barnard had started the bout on the back foot and found himself five hits down. However he managed to claw his way back and allthough Igali managed to maintain a lead until the final period they were equal at 13 each.

Both fencers experienced equipment failures, which saw the bout interrupted at a critical time. Igali took the lead by one point and seemed to have won when he appeared to have driven Barnard beyond the rear line.

The referee called halt and Igali began to celebrate. However, Barnard appealed the penalty and claimed the toe of his shoe was still on the back line.

The referee allowed the appeal and reversed his decision and the bout continued albeit briefly as Igali launched a dramatic lunge and hit the target.

After this the remaining bouts, including the final was somewhat of an anti-climax with Yannis Pappous of the UEA being convincingly beaten by Igali 15 hits to five.