Lowestoft and Yarmouth complete double against Broadland

Lowestoft & Yarmouth II 39, Broadland-GY Tigers 5

Despite playing against the wind in the first half, the Tigers spent a great deal of time in the opposition half with some fierce tackling halting the advances of the home side. Clever kicks from scrum half Clarke pegged the home side in their own 22 for long periods, but scrappy ball at the breakdown gave fly half Leckerman little to work with.

With the little clean ball the Tigers managed to create, Leckerman was able to release Trett who was able to break the first line of defence before being hauled down by cover tackles.

The home side not able to breach the defences elected to take three points from a penalty and were able to add a further five from a well worked try.

At the break the score was 8-0, and with the Tigers having the wind at their backs the expectation was high that the score could be reversed, however an injury to Lovick meant that Giddens moved to the pack leaving the Tigers with only 14 players on the pitch.

The home side capitalised on this, spreading the ball to their backs and were soon again on the score sheet.

The Tigers only score of the game came from a surge by Captain Finney, who releasing the ball in contact found Man-of-the-match Trett who raced to the line for a try.

Most Read

Building on their earlier success the home side moved the ball quickly to the backs scoring a further four unanswered tries leaving the Tigers to lick their wounds and contemplate how such a solid defence in the first half had leaked so many points in the second.

Team: M Camock, P Finney(Capt), L Lovick, P Calnon, N Bensley, L Moorhouse, P Abel, A Bensley, R Clarke, M Leckerman, N Rose, B Trett, J Giddens, T Barber, J Sewel

Lowestoft & Yarmouth III 17, Broadland-GY Regulators 10

Losing three players on the day to the 2nd XV, Broadland-GY Regulators had to borrow a player from their hosts to field 15 players.

In a scrappy first half the home side were on the back foot from the start, with surging runs from A Towfighi, being well supported by his back row colleagues G Holmes jnr and veteran A Riches.

The home team however used their possession well, with driving forward play leading to the first try of the game a further try put the hosts 10 nil ahead. But with another surging run A Towfighi scored a fine try in his first game back since recovering from a broken leg. J Clarke’s conversion was pushed just wide leaving the half time score at 10-5.

At the break Captain K Pywell switched to the back row, with G Holmes jnr moving to the wing.

Solid scrumagaing, in particular from Man-of-the-Match G Thompson gave a good platform for the young halfback pairing of J Clarke and H Buckley who both showed some classy touches during the game.

A typical example of powerful driving play from A Riches, allowed the ever youthful K Pywell to sprint to the line to score from a ruck.

The decisive play of the game came against the run of play and with the visitors a man down with a G Hawkes in the sin bin. The home side’s fullback broke sprinting from his own 22m being caught on the line by J Clarke, quick ball from the ruck lead to the third try of the game for the hosts.

Despite some frantic play in the final moments, the Regulators were unable to respond and finished the game trailing by a single converted try.

Team: T Bristow, G Holmes, G Thompson (MOM), M Miller, A Clarke, A Riches, G Holmes(jnr), A Towfighi, J Clarke, H Buckley, K Pywell, D Boyne, G Hawkes, A Lowey, M Pywell. Replacements: C Prime