Marathon run close to record
ONE of the performances of the day in the London Marathon came from Great Yarmouth Road Runners' Carole Spong.Carole, 65, (pictured) from Carlton Colville, finished in 3.
ONE of the performances of the day in the London Marathon came from Great Yarmouth Road Runners' Carole Spong.
Carole, 65, (pictured) from Carlton Colville, finished in 3.38;29 and was 10 minutes off the world record best for someone of her age, competing in the veteran female over 65 category. She finished 6,140th overall.
She finished 20 minutes ahead of the next competitor, and will earn herself another plaque to the medal she picked up on the day.
She was raising money for Cancer Research and funds for equipment for a school music room.
She is no stranger to success in the London Marathon, having won her category twice before in her 60s.
“I would have liked to have done Sunday's run a bit faster, but there were a few problems on the road and they had to alter the route,” she said.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 3 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 4 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 8 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 9 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 10 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
Recovering back home this week, she added that she's already been asked to take part in next year's Marathon, and after resting those weary limbs and tired muscles she was hoping to be back pounding the streets again “in the next few days”.