Martham Bowls Club round-up
- Credit: James Bass
The Watering Bowl semi-final at Caister saw Martham A beat Burlingham 91-50 to earn a clash against Potter Heigham in the final on July 29 (6pm).
In the County Cup quarter-final Martham A had a good 91-47 win over Cawston which sees them through to the semi-final on July 27. Opponent and venue TBA.
Federation Area Finals for men’s and mixed competitions were played at Acle BC on Sunday, July 2 with sessions throughout the day from 9.30am. All winners will compete in the county semi-finals at Holt next Sunday, July 9.
Martham bowlers were represented in the following competitions.
Under 25 Singles: Robert Brooks played well against a strong player and it was Matthew Sparrow of Acle who won 21-8.
Veteran’s Singles: Paul Randell came back to within one shot from being 16-5 down before finally losing to Michael High of Potter Heigham on the final end 21-19.
Two Bowl Singles: Gino Gallant v Daniel Mills, 21-11 to Daniel Mills.
- 1 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 2 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 3 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 4 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 5 Four fire crews tackle flat blaze in Great Yarmouth
- 6 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 7 Former nurse died while on holiday on Norfolk coast
- 8 Broads' tragedy: Laura Perry inquest adjourned until end of year
- 9 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in and around Great Yarmouth this week
Four Bowl Singles: Gary Hewitt v Michael Blyth of Plantation Park. Taking three shots on last end gave Gary a 21-18 win.
Pairs: With an all Martham tie of Gino Gallant and Gary Hewitt v John Hudson and Graham Bowgen, it was Gino and Gary who go through to the semi-finals with an 18-11 win.
Two Bowl Rinks (Triples): A win for Gary Hewitt and Gino and Michael Gallant against John Anniss, Andy Siely and Daniel Mills of Acle.
Mixed Rinks (Triples): With Martham’s block of Mike and Gino Gallant and Sandra Faircloth, it was a very tight game between Sandra Faircloth and Sheena Siely. However, it was Andy Siely who made the difference and ultimately the Acle block of Sheena and Andy Siely and Simon Elliott who won by seven shots.
Yarmouth League Martham B v Hickling played June 30 (away).
Dropping just one point, Martham continued their run of wins taking the match 6-1 with a combined score of 84-58. Two high scoring rinks for Martham, but it was Mike Fisher, Terry Nash and Syd Siely who scored highest with 28-12. A mammoth day for Gino Gallant who played four matches and Gary Hewitt who played three.
Junior Club and free coaching sessions are held every Saturday morning for members and non-members from 9.30 to 11am.