Missed chances cost Acle as game ends goalless against Royals
- Credit: Archant
Acle United were unable to take maximum points from their fixture at Kirkley and Pakefield Reserves when they had to settle for a point from a goalless stalemate.
The Royals produced a battling performance to share the spoils but in truth the champions dominated throughout and missed countless opportunities to seal the deal.
United kicked off with wind and slope in their favour and in the first minute Foreman’s long clearance put Forder in on goal but he fluffed his shot.
Sanders found Attree and after his shot was palmed away by the impressive Anderson in the home goal, Gibbons shot wide. Sanders then found Morgan before he saw his shot turned around the post.
Attree was shielding the ball well up front and after being pulled to the ground. Sanders’ shot was once again well saved by Anderson.
You may also want to watch:
Acle continued to dominate and create a succession of chances, none more so than when Peacock ghosted past two defenders before being denied by man of the match Anderson in the Kirkley goal.
The Kirkley defence were struggling to contain Attree and from another foul on the edge of the box, Sanders saw his shot pushed wide of the post.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 3 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 4 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 5 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 6 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 7 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 8 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 9 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
- 10 Boy, aged one, who suffered severe burns now 'looking forward to Christmas'
The teams turned around all square and the second period saw the Royals come into the game, although it was Acle who created all the chances and with the game goalless. manager Bibby sent on McCabe to replace Faulkes as Acle opted for three at the back.
Acle produced a sweet move down the left as Forder and Curran exchanged passes only for Morgan to head narrowly over. Gibbons was neat and tidy in midfield and with time running out burst through the middle with only the keeper to beat before blazing over.
United finished the game as they had started it, on the attack, and should have taken all three points as Scott Foreman in the away goal was not called upon to make a save throughout the 90 minutes.
Team: S Foreman, Wiley, Curran, Smith, Faulkes, Gibbons, Sanders, Morgan, Peacock, Attree, Forder. Subs: McCabe, Sayer, Copeland.
Acle entertain Harleston at Bridewell Lane tomorrow looking to avenge a 5-0 defeat earlier this season. Kick off is 2.30pm.