No easy ride for Gorleston hockey team
Thetford Town 4, Gorleston 5
HOCKEY: Gorleston travelled to Thetford after taking 13 points from five games to Thetford’s three from their five, but the win was not as easy as expected for the team now in second place in their league.
Gorleston started brightly, creating many chances through Saraj Raput’s trickery down the left wing, and went 1-0, Russ Crawford creating the chance for Simon Long.
With Herman Cheung sin-binned, Gorleston were under the cosh with 10 men. The midfield of Andrew Lilly, Mark Vaudin and Simon Long worked their socks off.
Then a great ball through from Martin Vaudin set Simon Long up to score with an accurate finish past the keeper.
Thetford were rocked as they thought they could make the most of the extra man advantage. Kev Mcdonald played a pass to Mark Vaudin who delivered a great cross for Andrew Lilly to sweep the ball neatly past the keeper for 3-0.
Gorleston looked to be coasting, but just before half-time the Thetford centre midfield veteran hit a great shot that Stuart made a save from ,but it fell straight to the Thetford striker who couldn’t miss.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 5 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 8 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 9 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 10 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
Straight after, Mark Vaudin made a great run down the wing to the by-line and then cut the ball back for Neil Hudson to make it 4-1.
In the second half Gorleston continued to be the better team and created many chances, especially when a Thetford defender was sinned-binned.
Stoney picked out Raj who hit a post with a brilliant reverse-stick strike and soon after he had another strike hit a post. In a goalmouth scramble Jason Austin volleyed home and at 5-1 the result looked beyond doubt.
But with 20 minutes to go Thetford rallied and complacency from Gorleston crept in when they let a through ball to the Thetford striker, who finished with style.
In the last 10 minutes Gorleston got even more sloppy when bad communication at the back led to another easy goal given away.
With five minutes to go Thetford realised they may be able to get something out of the game. Rob Harlow tried to defend valiantly but could do nothing when a fast ball was blasted into the D and the Thetford winger deflected it home.
Gorleston were relieved to hear the final whislte.
Next, a tough game at home to Ipswich Cranes who are on form.
Squad against Thetford: Stuart, Kevin Mcdonald (C), Herman Cheung, Martin Vaudin, Jason Austin, Rob Harlow, Mark Vaudin, Saraj Raput, Andrew Lilly, Simon Long, Stoney, Russ Crawford, Neil Hudson.