No holding Tramway now

Great Yarmouth & District Football Leaguewww.gydfl.comTen games without a point, and in the space of two games Tramway have picked up six, their second victory coming against title-chasing Arches.

Great Yarmouth & District Football League

Ten games without a point, and in the space of two games Tramway have picked up six, their second victory coming against title-chasing Arches.

The result has realistically ended Arches' title chances, leaving them seven points behind the two leaders with games rapidly running out.

Tramway took the advantage in a five minutes spell midway through the first half. A great individual

goal from Jay Johnson saw him pick up the ball round the defender and slot home.

Most Read

It was soon 2-0 as Shane Darnell ran through and saw his shot saved by the keeper, but some quick thinking from captain Kris Hodgkyns saw

him pick up the loose ball and fire past the Arches keeper for his sixth goal of the season.

Keeper Adam Bollington was having another solid game but he could do nothing about Arches' goal right on half-time - a great strike from 25 yards from Ben Kiki which went in off the underside of the bar.

Midway through the second period Arches had a golden opportunity to equalise. Their penalty kick sent the keeper the wrong way but scraped the wrong side of a post.

Arches were made to pay when Johnson showed great composure to slot home and give Tramways a bit of breathing space.

Another top-drawer save from Bollington was just enough to keep Arches out, but they did get a goal back through Scott Calver and set up a nail biting last few minutes.

A hat-trick for Catfield's Chad Pillar and one from Adam Hodds was enough to knock leaders MK United off the top as they won 4-2.

Golfers Arms defeated Gunton 6-3 thanks to a hat-trick from Ollie McCarthy, two from Liam Bartley and one from G Lawes to put some breathing space between themselves and the bottom three.

Great Yarmouth International and Caister United A shared the points in a 2-2 draw. Diego Fernandes and Vida Formosa scored for the home side with Sam Pullin and Karl Cooper replying for Caister.

A week is a long time in football as last week second division leaders MK United Reserves beat Norfolk and Chance 4-0.

In the reverse fixture this week Mark Sutton grabbed a brace and Thomas Ward and Ben Smithirst one each as Norfolk & Chance reversed the result with a 4-1 win.

Second-placed Hemsby Reserves defeated Martham A in the local derby as Ronnie Dixon notched a

hat-trick as well as goals from

Gary Chaplin and Steve George in a 5-1 win.

Albion (GY), nine wins in their opening nine games, looked set to continue as Johnny Bowles scored after 12 and 22 minutes against Shrublands, who reduced the arrears five minutes later through Mitch Forbes.

Sam Welch restored the two-goal advantage before the break. Albion lost Kristian Gowing to injury at half-time and Shrublands were back in the match early in the second period when Jason Thompson netted. Albion were reduced to 10 men.

Having used their substitutes they lost Thomas Collins to injury and Shrublands levelled the game through Forbes before Rob Manning found the winner 12 minutes from time to end Albion's perfect start to the season.

Carpathians took an early lead at home to Great Yarmouth United when Leigh Grigg's cross was headed in by Jimmy Youngs, but United came back, hitting the bar twice and then scoring two minutes before


A two-goal burst in three minutes put United in the driving seat but 20 minutes from time Adrian Coote gave Carpathians hope, and as they pressed for an equaliser United made the game safe with virtually the last kick of the game. United's goals came from Billy Lawson, Arron Robson, K Girling and Gareth Ward.

Goals from Jason Howell, Adam Pope and Richard Temple helped Great Yarmouth Peelers to a narrow 3-2 win against Gorleston Wanderers while Paperclip picked up their first points in 2009 with a good 5-2 win against Prostar Windows thanks to a hat-trick from S Ingram and goals from Grant Lloyd and M Thompson.

In the final quarter-final tie in the Wiltshire Cup, first division Lacon Arms booked a last-four spot against Golfers Arms following a narrow 2-1 win against second division South Yarmouth with goals coming from Del Salmon and Daniel Goodrum.

Paul Payne