Parkrun event huge success
RUNNING: Last Saturday, the parkrun on Gorleston Cliffs had a new twist. Not only was it the Lucozade RunFree day – with fancy dress, wearing orange gear with cakes and drinks supplied – participants also had the opportunity to repeat the 5k distance on the hour for as many times as they wanted.
This was very popular, with many doing 10am, a few less at 11am, but still 13 runners at noon. Later runs were down to single figures.
Jonathan Meadows completed six runs but the hero of the day was Vinny Jones, who completed eight-and-a-half circuits, equivalent to a marathon distance. His total running time was 3hrs 7min 2sec, a wonderful time for a marathon and showing the benefit of recovery resting.
The fancy dress winners were Nick Overy and The Convicts (two competitors in chains).
Thanks went to all the volunteers and cake-makers who made the event such a success, and especially to those with orange hair and orange traffic-cone hats. The support from Lucozade and Approved Food (co.uk) was greatly valued.
You may also want to watch:
In the 111th parkrun, for the 11th time, Jonathan Lee (CoNAC) finished first. Mark Thompson (SM 25-29) of Great Yarmouth Road Runners took second and Dominic Olivere, (JM 15-19) of Great Yarmouth and District AC was third. Dominic’s age-graded score was over 75 per cent.
In her second appearance, Shelley Louise Smith (SW 20-24) of Lowestoft Road Runners won in 23:37, beating Daisy Spurway (JW 14) of Great Yarmouth and District AC by 19 seconds. Victoria Swanston (SW 30-34) was third in 24:09. Seven people recorded personal bests and there seven newcomers.
- 1 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 2 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 3 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 4 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 5 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 6 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 7 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 8 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 9 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 10 'I was genuinely worried' - Theatre director on reopening in Tier 2
In the points competition, Darren Cains has a lead of 42 points over second-placed David Hughes. Tabatha Sims leads Maria Ball by 11 in the ladies’ competition.
The Sweatshop prizewinner for May 2011 is Pauline Richardson.
Tomorrow (Saturday) will be a normal day and all walkers, joggers and runners are invited to join parkrun by 9am opposite Park Road.
All details at www.parkrun.com