Parkrun event huge success
RUNNING: Last Saturday, the parkrun on Gorleston Cliffs had a new twist. Not only was it the Lucozade RunFree day – with fancy dress, wearing orange gear with cakes and drinks supplied – participants also had the opportunity to repeat the 5k distance on the hour for as many times as they wanted.
This was very popular, with many doing 10am, a few less at 11am, but still 13 runners at noon. Later runs were down to single figures.
Jonathan Meadows completed six runs but the hero of the day was Vinny Jones, who completed eight-and-a-half circuits, equivalent to a marathon distance. His total running time was 3hrs 7min 2sec, a wonderful time for a marathon and showing the benefit of recovery resting.
The fancy dress winners were Nick Overy and The Convicts (two competitors in chains).
Thanks went to all the volunteers and cake-makers who made the event such a success, and especially to those with orange hair and orange traffic-cone hats. The support from Lucozade and Approved Food (co.uk) was greatly valued.
In the 111th parkrun, for the 11th time, Jonathan Lee (CoNAC) finished first. Mark Thompson (SM 25-29) of Great Yarmouth Road Runners took second and Dominic Olivere, (JM 15-19) of Great Yarmouth and District AC was third. Dominic’s age-graded score was over 75 per cent.
In her second appearance, Shelley Louise Smith (SW 20-24) of Lowestoft Road Runners won in 23:37, beating Daisy Spurway (JW 14) of Great Yarmouth and District AC by 19 seconds. Victoria Swanston (SW 30-34) was third in 24:09. Seven people recorded personal bests and there seven newcomers.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 3 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 4 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 5 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 6 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 7 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 8 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 9 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 10 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
In the points competition, Darren Cains has a lead of 42 points over second-placed David Hughes. Tabatha Sims leads Maria Ball by 11 in the ladies’ competition.
The Sweatshop prizewinner for May 2011 is Pauline Richardson.
Tomorrow (Saturday) will be a normal day and all walkers, joggers and runners are invited to join parkrun by 9am opposite Park Road.
All details at www.parkrun.com