Paulton Rovers 0 Norwich City 7
NORWICH City eased through their potential FA Cup banana skin with a professional first round win at non-league Paulton Rovers.A first half headed double from Grant Holt and Chris Martin's assured finish were more than enough to settle any nerves the visitors may have had - not that they showed any against their gallant hosts, despite a boisterous 2,070 support and a television audience willing another FA Cup giantkilling.
NORWICH City eased through their potential FA Cup banana skin with a professional first round win at non-league Paulton Rovers.
A first half headed double from Grant Holt and Chris Martin's assured finish were more than enough to settle any nerves the visitors may have had - not that they showed any against their gallant hosts, despite a boisterous 2,070 support and a television audience willing another FA Cup giantkilling.
The plucky Zamaretto League side had most of the early possession and gave City a couple of early penalty area scares at a chilly Winterfield Road, but their bubble was burst in the 16th minute with the Canaries' first flowing move.
Wes Hoolahan set Korey Smith away down the right and his floated cross was headed back across Rovers' keeper Kyle Phillips and in by Holt.
Martin doubled the advantage eight minutes later with a cool finish from the edge of the area after being slickly put through by Hoolahan, and although the home side huffed and puffed after that, Holt effectively ended the tie, thumping Simon Lappin's corner through Phillips.
Holt and Lappin's indiscipline earned second half bookings - a fifth for the season in each case, conveniently handing both players a one game suspension for the Johnstone's Paint Trophy clash at Swindon on Tuesday and avoiding either missing any League One action.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 5 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 6 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 7 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 8 Winterton beach poses as Sydney's Bondi in new movie
- 9 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 10 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
Hoolahan's curler added a Norwich fourth before Martin went goal crazy; first he finished off good work by substitute Cody McDonald.
The striker then completed his hat-trick with a nicely placed free-kick and headed home at the back post for his fourth and City's seventh, to add some late gloss to City's comfortable afternoon.Paulton Rovers: Phillips, Ball, Price, Tyrrell, Rich, Lacey, Jefferies, Lane, Cleverley, Claridge, Plummer
Subs: Cousins (for Lane, 55), Tovey, Burborough (for Plummer, 75), Hemmings, Wright, Redwood, Waters (for Cleverley, 55)
Bookings: Jefferies (foul on Hoolahan, 45), Plummer (foul on Askou, 45)Norwich City: Rudd, Berthel Askou, Nelson, Doherty, Drury, Russell, Smith, Lappin, Hoolahan, Holt, Martin
Subs: Theoklitos, Tudur Jones (for Lappin, 68), Cureton, Adeyemi, McVeigh, Wiggins (for Drury, 56), McDonald (for Holt, 68)
Goals: Holt (15, 43), Martin (24, 77, 83, 85), Hoolahan (74)
Bookings: Lappin (dissent, 57), Holt (unsporting behaviour, 64)
Referee: Andy Hall (W Midlands)