Penalties provide the points
Broadland-Great Yarmouth 3, Ely 6BROADLAND-Great Yarmouth played host to Ely in an exceptionally tight-fought Eastern Counties Two match.It was played in very strong winds, which forced play almost exclusively to one side line and rendered line-outs almost unplayable.
Broadland-Great Yarmouth 3, Ely 6
BROADLAND-Great Yarmouth played host to Ely in an exceptionally tight-fought Eastern Counties Two match.
It was played in very strong winds, which forced play almost exclusively to one side line and rendered line-outs almost unplayable.
Broadland kicked off and the wind began to be a disruption to play as both passing and kicking was proving difficult for both sides.
Prop Richard Bristo was injured early in a tackle, with Rye Bilyard coming on at prop.
Captain Ash Lightfoot had an early penalty go over, but Ely were quick to respond to even the score to three all.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 6 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 7 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 'Spectacular' parade of horses to celebrate Queen's Jubilee on Golden Mile
Play was tight and the forwards resorted to pick and drives from the base. Lightfoot had a second penalty blown wide following some good work from scrum-half Ruddick.
The defences on both sides were performing well and neither side were able to really move the ball to great effect. Ely struck a second penalty, and then missed a third.
Broadland's hooker George Jarvis was utilising a shortened line-out, but close ball but was the only real option and was highly contested.
Rian Gallie was shown a yellow for a technical foul, but Broadland managed to hold their own and the score remained the same.
Mark White joined the match at the half with Broadland trailing. Both sides had long range penalty attempts but no score was forthcoming.
Broadland's defence was on top form, and Ely were given no option to move the ball. Flanker Ed Dixon was badly injured, as he fell awkwardly on his arm and Royce Chiddle joined the back.
In the final five minutes Broadland did string together a steady attack which culminated in a penalty 30 yards out. With Lightfoot kicking into the strong headwind the ball fell wide.
Broadland pushed Ely hard at the end of the game, but to Ely's credit they ground out the win.
The result left Ely third and Broadland-Great Yarmouth seventh in a 10-team section, top of a mini-league of four teams yet to register a point after three matches.
Broadland-Great Yarmouth: B Sutherland, J Sewell, M Abeysekera , S Ledgerwood, M Scott, A Lightfoot (capt), S Ruddick, R Gallie, G Jarvis, R Bristo, A Morrison, S French, A Hewitt, E Dixon, A Towfighi. Replacements: R Bilyard (8 mins) M White (40 mins) R Chiddle (68 mins).
Penalty: Lightfoot, one of four.