Perfect finale earns Bloaters all three points after a league double
- Credit: Archant
Visiting Brantham settled the better of the two sides but the drying Wellesley pitch proved difficult, before the Bloaters finally grabbed the honours.
The home side survived a double chance as the ball was scrambled away in the 20th minute by Ager before Perfect escaped his marker and fired in a cross that narrowly evaded the in-rushing Deeks. The home side’s best chance of the half came when Davis weaved his magic and produced a perfect pass for George and although he beat the first man the ball got caught up in the turf and the chance was gone for the hard-working striker.
For the visitors Clampton fired narrowly wide before a strange incident saw Jamie George through on goal and as he chased the ball down keeper Spurling rushed out and flattened George. Strangely both referee and assistant saw nothing wrong and waved play on.
Winger Perfect sprang to life as he took on the visitors with a couple of mazy runs that brought corners for the home side. A couple of minutes later Perfect almost made the breakthrough as he fired in a shot that struck the post.
Chris Holmes was brought on with 20 minutes left and his impact was almost instant as he found himself on the edge of the box and lifted the ball out of his feet and fired a wonderful dipping, swerving volley into the top corner.
The Bloaters lead was short-lived, as five minutes later the equaliser came with Newson applying the finish from close range.
With six minutes left of normal time, a dangerous in-swinging cross by Davis found Perfect and his instant control and powerful strike found the net to give the home side the lead. The Bloaters saw out the rest of the game to record a double over a very good side.
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 5 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 6 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 7 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Great Yarmouth roadworks expected to be finished by the end of the month
- 9 £65,000 of improvements will see Gorleston street closed for six weeks
- 10 'Revolutionary' cancer test trial to begin in Great Yarmouth
Man Of The Match award was presented to Sean Perfect by vice-chairman and Anchorage Trust CEO Ben Stone.
Bloaters: Whatmough, Taylor, Andersen, Bartram, Ager, Howell, Perfect, Applegate, George, Deeks, Davis. Subs: Holmes, McAra, Catchpole, Bond.
The reserves had a home midweek 2-1 win against Belton with goals from Schurrman and Gorbould. Tomorrow they entertain leaders Harleston (2pm).