Perfect start for sailors’ plate series
SAILING: The weather on Sunday provided a prefect start to the Watling Plate series at Gorleston in a slowly-building Northerly F3.
Race one saw a different leader after each lap with Chris Sallis and Jamie Freeman in their RS800 crossing the line first.
On corrected time, only 30 seconds separated the top three with Martin Browne and Di Holmes in a 400 first, Veronica and Ben Falat in their Fireball were second and Richard Fryer and Carol Smalls in a 400 third.
In race two Sallis/Freeman and the F18 of Steve Shaw and Ed Anderson, pulled away from the rest of the fleet. Behind, the RS400’s were battling it out with Browne/Holmes only a few seconds in front of Fryer/Smalls.
Sallis/Freeman crossed the line first but on corrected time the RS400’s made it a one-two with Browne/Holmes making it two in a row with Fryer/Smalls second.
By the afternoon the wind had picked up to a F4. Race three was sailed over a full Olympic course.
Shaw/Anderson built up a big lead and finished first. However, the 400’s reigned supreme, recording another one-two with Browne/Holmes making it three in a row and Fryer/Smalls second.
- 1 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 2 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 5 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 6 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 7 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 8 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
Nick Favell in his Phantom finished a comfortable third after a poor final lap.
Race four saw the first recall of the day. Favell led for some way up the first beat before being overhauled by Sallis/Freeman, who built a commanding lead and crossed the line first. On corrected time Sallis/Freeman won by just one second from Browne/Holmes, who were just 10 seconds ahead of Favell.
Race One: 1 RS400 (Brown and Holmes), 2 Fireball (Falat and Falat), 3 RS400 (Fryer and Smalls). Race Two: 1 RS400, 2 RS400, 3 Fireball. Race Three: 1 RS400, 2 RS400, 3 Phantom (N Favell). Race Four: 1 RS800 (Sallis and Freeman), 2 RS400, 3 Phantom.