Phoenix students enjoy their trip to Ireland for big karate event
- Credit: Archant
The UKF Invitational Championships in Buncrana, Ireland was the destination for five Phoenix Karate Schools students and their families.
Accompanied by instructor Vivianne Trorey and KKO chief referee Billy Brogan, who both officiated at the tournament, Jack and Ruby Moore, Billy Baker, William and Samantha Mortimer and coach Paul Mortimer all enjoyed their trip and had enough time to take in the sights as well as competing.
The competition attracted 300 competitors from across Europe including world and European champions from Romania, Scotland and England.
Five year Jack did his best but didn’t proceed through to the medals. William fought well but was also unable to get into the medal positions.
Ruby and Billy both competed in Kata and performed well but did not reach the finals this time. Ruby did however take a silver medal in her kumite section while Billy fought his way through to the final of the boys 9-10 Kumite. He was one wazari down with five seconds to go and came off the line with a superb Gak (reverse punch) to draw level with three seconds left and then repeated the move once again to win the fight and the gold medal.
Samantha was competing in her first competition since returning to Phoenix after a few years’ break and was entered into the Shobu Ippon and Shobu Sanbon veterans’ sections.
She was very nervous to begin with but progressed to the final of the Ippon section where she lost by one wazari. With each fight she gained confidence and in the Sanbon section she stormed through to win the gold with great confidence.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 3 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 4 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 5 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 6 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 9 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 10 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
Paul was standing in for squad coach Samuel and did a superb job with the fighters. Instructor Vivianne Trorey, 4th Dan, said “I have been to this competition to referee for the last two years and it have grown considerably.
“This is the first time I have taken any students with me and I was very proud of all their efforts in what was a high class field. Congratulations to all the medal winners.”
Anyone interested in training at Phoenix Karate classes in Acle, Martham, Caister, Great Yarmouth, Gorleston, Hopton, Lowestoft or Oulton Broad can contact Vivianne on 07895 550168 or 01502 730171 or visit the website at www.phoenixkarateschools.co.uk for details.