Place booked in rugby final
Lakenham Hewitt 5, Broadland-Great Yarmouth 52BROADLAND-Great Yarmouth booked a place in this season's Norfolk Plate Final through a 10-try display in what was probably the team's best performance of the season.
Lakenham Hewitt 5, Broadland-Great Yarmouth 52
BROADLAND-Great Yarmouth booked a place in this season's Norfolk Plate Final through a 10-try display in what was probably the team's best performance of the season.
They started well and Rye Bilyard went on to the score board early as he picked up a loose ball from a Lakenham lineout to crash over.
Prop Richard Bristo put in a bruising run which set the platform for Adam Towfighi to score with a weaving run on the Blindside.
Broadland attacks were fast and furious, and following some spectacular interplay between Ledgerwood and White, wing Matt Scott collected a pass to cut infield and score.
Broadland were dominating both lineout and scrum and had plenty of ball to work with. Sustained pressure saw Sam French dive over leaving the half-time score 22-0 to Broadland.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 5 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 6 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 7 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 8 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 10 'Spectacular' parade of horses to celebrate Queen's Jubilee on Golden Mile
Second half lock Royce Chiddle put in a devastating 50-yard run through the middle, setting up an attack that culminated in Ben Collings going over to score.
Mossie Abeysecera was next on the score sheet as the replacement scored with his first touch. Collings was again on hand to score his second.
Broadland brought on Joe Payne, Phil Buckley and Stuart Ruddick - and the fresh legs served to increase the tempo of Broadland's play.
Abeysecera went over for a second following a great run from Dixon on the kick-off.
Full back James Doggett was running plenty of ball back and ensuring Lakenham stayed on the back foot. Half back Simon Ruddick and Ash Lightfoot were spoilt for choice by support runners. Captain Matt Beckett was leading by example as he put in the tackle of the match.
Another break saw Royce Chiddle score from close range and flanker Asa Morrison pounced on a Lakenham fumble over the try line to conclude Broadland's scoring.
Lakenham scored a try at the conclusion of the match.
Ovamill Ltd Man-of-the-match: Ben Collings.
Broadland-Great Yarmouth travel tomorrow to play Dereham in the Norfolk Plate final. Kick-off is at 3pm. Directions to the ground, for supporters travelling to Dereham Rugby Club can be found at www.broadlandrfc.com.
Tries: B Collings (2), M Abeysecera (2), R Bilyard, A Towfighi, M Scott, S French, R Chiddle, A Morrison. Con: Ledgerwood nought of six, Doggett one of four.
Team: J Doggett, B Collings, M White, S Ledgerwood, M Scott, A Lightfoot, Si Ruddick, M Beckett (Capt) R Bilyard, R Bristo, S French, R Chiddle, A Morrison, E Dixon A Towfighi. Replacements: M Abeysecera (49 mins), J Payne (53 mins), P Buckley (65mins), St Ruddick (67 mins).