Player staying at the Wellesley

FOOTBALL: Scott Woodcock is remaining with Great Yarmouth Town, writes Gerry Brown.

Despite the disappointment of defeat at Wisbech, Paul Tong was delighted after the game to announce that Woodcock was staying at the Wellesley and not interested in a move to Anglian Combination championship leaders Cromer Town.

“It’s fantastic news,” said Tong. “Scott is on fire at the moment and I’m really glad he’s staying with us.”

Wisbech Town 3, Great Yarmouth Town 2

Goals from Jake Reed and Gavin Norman looked to have given Yarmouth a point at Wisbech, but the Fenmen gained a late winner to deny the Bloaters what would have been a well-earned share of the spoils.

With regular keeper Michael Hilton unavailable, Yarmouth had youth keeper Jake Jessup making a rare appearance.

Yarmouth took an 18th-minute lead when Dominic Smith headed through to Jake Reed. Wisbech goalkeeper Lea Jordan failed to play to the whistle and instead of being awarded a free-kick for a supposed foul by Reed he could only watch as the Bloaters’ leading scorer went past him to put the ball in the back of the net for his fourth in the last four games, having scored in each.

Most Read

But on 21 minutes, the home side were level. Bernardo Junior was booked for a handball outside the Yarmouth box, and although the free-kick was headed away by Olly Savage the return was headed home by Andy Furnell.

Wisbech began to turn the screw, and when Lewis Thompson sent in a fierce shot, Jessup – under pressure – failed to gather cleanly and Stevens headed the second Wisbech goal on 32 minutes.

The Bloaters silenced the vociferous home supporters three minutes after the break with their second goal, from Gavin Norman after a Reed effort was only parried by home keeper Lea Jordan. It was Reed’s persistence, riding several challenges, that cleared the way for Norman to come through and push home the rebound.

The Bloaters severely tested Jordan and his defence. Thompson was booked after 62 minutes for a foul on Savage, and when the victim sent the free-kick into the box, strong appeals for a Wisbech handball were denied.

Yarmouth went close on several occasions. Reed headed goalwards from a Norman cross and Jordan did very well to reach the ball to tip it over the bar on 72 minutes. A minute later, Woodcock beat the offside and shot from a narrow angle with Jordan conceding another corner.

The 78th minute saw an almighty scramble in the Wisbech box after yet another Woodcock corner. Jordan conceded again from a Reed shot and Luke Fell sent one just over the bar.

Wisbech produced few real chances and when they did Jessup, too, produced some great saves as he grew in confidence in the second half.

However, it was Wisbech that came up with the goods in the 87th minute when, from a free-kick into the box full back Johnson hooked home.

The strength of Yarmouth’s second-half comeback is testified by the home side’s nomination of keeper Jordan as their man-of-the-match.

Yarmouth Town: J Jessup, B Junior, O Savage (captain), G Spooner, C Duffy, R Catchpole, S Woodcock, D Smith, G Norman, J Reed, L Fell. Unused subs: F Vide, O McCarthy, J Bell. Att: 224.