Probe after Lowestoft and Yarmouth rugby match is abandoned

Stevenage 12 Lowestoft & Yarmouth 10 (match abandoned)

Confusion reigns over the outcome of this match as the powers that be will have to sort out the fall-out of a 39th minute second half melee caused by a group of local supporters charging into a minor on-field fracas.

That the referee felt he had to abandon the game is one for the authorities to deal with, but the event followed a try by L&Y’s centre Myles McAlone when he crossed in the corner after Stevenage were leading by four penalties to an unconverted first half try by Marc Thomas, then ran around almost under the posts for an easier conversion.

Had the conversion been taken, L&Y would have salvaged a draw from an otherwise pretty average performance, but the kick was not allowed to take place by the referee, and now initial discussions seem to point towards a replay of the match on the next available weekend.

This depends on both team’s success in the RFU Intermediate Cup on 13th October, when L&Y face Chiswick at home, which could mean a rematch on either 10th November or 1st December, or even possibly into next year.

Team: Howe, Powles, Cashman, Port, Wilkinson, Oakes, Adams, Thomas, Castleton, Nelson, Beer, Tiueti, McAlone, Beales, Howell. Subs: Bristo for Cashman, Cashman for Wilkinson, Baxter for Beer, Moore (unused). Tries: Thomas, McAlone

Lowestoft & Yarmouth II 57 Swaffham II 1

Most Read

L&Y seconds were captained for the first time by 2nd row Lewis Cook.

Swaffham kicked off with a slight following wind and immediately exerted pressure on the L&Y pack, winning a penalty which was successfully kicked. From the restart an excellent chase and tackle from wing Tom Strachan resulted in possession for L&Y which was expertly converted into territory with a precise chip through from fly-half Tom Dare. L&Y maintained pressure and from a five metre scrum a simple pick and go by No.8 Luke Mallet gave L&Y their first try. Tom Dare successfully converted the first of many in a dominant performance from the fly-half.

Experienced prop Lee Protheroe stole possession at a ruck and broke clear with startling pace to put the opposition on the back foot. Quick ball from the breakdown released Owen Lewis and only committed tackling from Swaffham stopped try-machine Dave Palmer from scoring in the corner. Pressure was maintained by the L&Y pack and one of many powerful interventions from blind side flanker Richie Hyde saw ball turned over in the tight.

Swaffham regrouped and after a clash in the centres Swaffham broke through the otherwise solid L&Y defence, only stopped by determined covering tackling. The collision cut short the promising comeback from veteran centre Mark Brooks, who came off with a knee injury. Owen Lewis moved up to outside centre with the fleet-footed Gareth Bowker coming on at full back. Swaffham came away from their visit to the L&Y half with a penalty kick.

L&Y again pressed well from the restart and a break from hooker Luc Breij and support from centre Hayden Wright brought excellent field position.

Displaying excellent vision, scrum half Tom Fox switched play down the blind, allowing his brother Lewis Fox to show pace and power to score L&Y’s third try. L&Y were playing with real purpose now and strong runs by Lee Protheroe, Luke Mallet and Hayden Wright allowed Tom Fox to set up brother Lewis for a second try. Dave Palmer, Gareth Bowker and Tom Strachan all continued to make scything breaks as the match progressed, but repeated infringements at the breakdown allowed Swaffham to relieve pressure on each occasion.

To close out the half the L&Y forwards forced a turnover and a powerful run and deft offload from centre Hayden Wright allowed Dave Palmer to score in the corner. Tom Dare maintained his perfect record for the half and converted for a half-time lead of 28-6.

At the kick-off L&Y continued where they had left off, Gareth Bowker jinked down the right flank with only desperate defence forcing the full back into touch.

Swaffham remained defiant though and from another ruck infringement worked an overlap to score their only try of the day.

Soon after, L&Y prop Tom Moore bore the brunt of the referee’s frustration at the repeated indiscretions and was shown a yellow card. Fly half Tom Dare placed a crossfield kick perfectly for Dave Palmer to power through for his second try.

Lewis Fox made way for Ben McIlroy to make a long-awaited comeback from injury. After the restart the pressure continued and Dave Palmer completed his hat-trick. Martin Greenwood then came on to add power from the base of the scrum and with 10 minutes to play Jared Adams, Dougie Archer and player-coach Phillips Baker brought fresh impetus, ‘PB’ scoring from a tap penalty. MoM: Scrum half Tom Fox.