Rangers’ event is another big hit
The Gorleston Rangers FC 23rd annual youth football tournament, in association with Specsavers, Great Yarmouth, media partners The Great Yarmouth Mercury, was held at Ormiston Venture Academy, Gorleston.
It was entered by 213 from all around East Anglia and beyond, representing 107 different clubs.
The tournament was once again a great success with 15 pitches used on both Saturday and Sunday, nearly 1,500 boys and girls participating in over 700 matches.
The club is grateful to its individual team managers, committee members, friends, associates, referees, Specsavers, Great Yarmouth, St John Ambulance, Ormiston Venture Academy, trophy sponsors and advertisers for their support in making this tournament possible and the success it was.
A special thank you was issued for the continued support from the clubs that enter the tournament each year, with many travelling over 100 miles to play.
Thanks went to main sponsor Specsavers, Great Yarmouth, media partners The Great Yarmouth Mercury, with a special thanks to the trophy sponsors: Great Yarmouth Lions Club, Saks Hair and Beauty, Brewers Chip Saloon, Seajacks UK Limited, Dimascio Ice Cream, Moughton Engineering Limited, Sheila and Jamie Read.
Results. U7 & 8: There was a total of 32 teams entered in these two age groups over the two days, with no scores recorded in line with national FA regulations.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 6 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 7 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 8 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 9 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 10 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
All participants received a Gorleston Rangers FC commemorative medal as a reminder of the day.
Thanks went to the Great Yarmouth Lions Club for sponsoring the medals.
U9: AFC Sudbury 1 Woodbridge Town 0; U10: Gorleston Rangers A 0 (3 pens) Waveney Youths 0 (0 pens); U11: Dereham Town 2 West Winch 0; U12: Waveney Youths A 3 Gorleston Rangers A 0; U13: Gorleston Rangers 1 (5 pens) Fleet Spurs 1 (4 pens); U14: Great Yarmouth Town 5 Great Yarmouth Town 1; U15: Gorleston Rangers A 1 Coventry Sphinx 0; U16: Gorleston Rangers 2 Whitton United 0; U11 Girls: Witnesham Wasps A 2 Witnesham Wasps B 1;
U14 Girls: This section was played on a league basis and was won by Dereham Wanderers, with Gorleston Rangers runners-up.
Next year’s event is scheduled to be played over the weekend Saturday and Sunday, June 16 and 17, 2012.