Reece’s free kick settles it as Hemsby take it by the odd goal in five

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Hemsby welcomed a much-improved Swaffham Town Reserves to a windy Waters Lane on Saturday with the home side looking to build on the previous week’s epic comeback victory and also looking to exact revenge on an unjust away defeat earlier in the season.

The home side kicked off with the wind behind them and the first chance fell to young Felix Andrews, making his first start following two impressive substitute appearances. He was set up when Joe Youngs burst down the wing and cut the ball back, but Felix leant back as he shot from 12 yards and the ball went over the bar.

Felix was involved again in the 14th minute as he was fouled 20 yards out and from the resulting free kick, Jonathon Peirce gave the keeper no chance with a slightly deflected effort that flew past him for a deserved lead.

It was 2-0 in the 21st minute when Joe Kenny went on a run down the right, cut inside and set up Reece Hopper to get a first-time shot away and as the ball went through a couple of defenders Youngs managed to get a toe on it to divert it through the keeper’s legs.

Rui Goncalves and the defence marshalled superbly by Mikey Grayson had very little to do for the majority of the first 45 minutes as Hemsby were by far the better side.

The wind got a bit stronger in the second half and Swaffham used it to their advantage as they pumped the ball forward at every opportunity and earned a corner with only two minutes played. The ball was swung in and headed in by a player that was climbing all over Grant Osben.

In the 54th minute Jonny Williams tried to work his way out from the back and got caught and just as last week, a midfielder hit a screamer of a shot that flew past Rui for 2-2.

Most Read

Dean Sabine and Kristian were both introduced and the fresh legs seemed to help as Hemsby began to force their way back into the game.

It was a free-kick to the home side in the 72nd minute that saw Hemsby re-take the lead. Kristian went on a run that was ended abruptly 25 yards out and Reece hit a great effort that the keeper could only watch fly past him into the top corner for 3-2.

There was to be no further goals and for the second week running Hemsby took the points. The Business World travel man of the match was Michael Grayson.