Reed makes his mark

Great Yarmouth Town 1, FC Clacton 0JAKE Reed, in blistering form for the U18s, finally scored his first goal for the Bloaters senior Ridgeons side last weekend.

Great Yarmouth Town 1, FC Clacton 0

JAKE Reed, in blistering form for the U18s, finally scored his first goal for the Bloaters senior Ridgeons side last weekend.

He shrugged aside the disappointment of having his four first-half goals for the Youth team being knocked off when the game last week was abandoned to notch the only goal of Saturday's game after 88 minutes and preserve the Bloaters' 100 per cent home league record.

The youngster is highly thought of by the Bloaters' management who are confident this is only the first of many he will go on to score for Yarmouth. “Jake took his opportunity well, and we are all really pleased for him,” said joint manager Kevin Cruickshank.

Just before he struck his goal, Reed went close with a powerful header from a Stewart Roach cross to the far post, and he also contributed a telling pass to Adam Sullivan early in the game but the Yarmouth captain, who turned on the edge of the area, saw his shot blocked.

Sullivan, looking to add to his two goals so far this season, also sent in a powerful 20-yard shot which the Clacton keeper just tipped over the bar midway in the first half.

Most Read

The Bloaters best chance of the half came after half an hour when Clacton failed to clear a ball into the box and it fell to Scott Woodcock with a clear sight of goal. However, the Bloaters' winger was unable to find the target, firing just over from 15 yards.

Following some nondescript play in the terribly wet and windy conditions, substitutions by both sides in the last 30 minutes led to the best passage of play.

On 66 minutes, Elliot Pride was forced into a fine save, pushing over a strong free-kick from 30 yards out and from the resulting corner Clacton forced the ball over the line but three were offside due to Yarmouth moving out quickly.

On 70 minutes an ambitious, but dipping, 40-yard Liam Springett free- kick was just touched over by Pride, and two minutes later a 20-yard effort from Yarmouth produced a similar save at the other end from Finch.

With the game entering the last quarter of an hour a James Dunkley free-kick appeared to strike the bottom of the post with the follow-up effort well-smothered by Pride.

Then Steve Oldhamstead had a sight of goal but could only skew his left-foot shot wide.

At this point Clacton's efforts began to catch up with them as Yarmouth piled on the pressure in search of the winning goal. With five minutes to go it looked as though they may have missed their best chance to find it as a long Roach free-kick into the box travelled all the way to the far post to an unmarked Reed, who powered his header wide.

However in the 88th minute, just when it looked like the Seasiders would hang on for their first draw of the campaign, the Bloaters achieved their goal.

Stand-in Clacton captain Greg Heighway, who until that point had not put a foot wrong, failed to clear with a long ball forward, only managing to loop a header into the air. As it dropped again the Clacton man could only glance the ball across his own area and into the path of Reed who gratefully prodded home his first senior goal from five yards.

Yarmouth: Elliot Pride, Adam Sewell (Johnny Watt 55), Ollie Savage, Gareth Palmer, Adrian Ager (Dominic Smith 39), Alan Darby, Chris Squire, Adam Sullivan (capt), Stewart Roach, Jake Reed, Scott Woodcock (Liam Bartley 62). Unused Subs: Toby Gorbould, Michael Hilton. Referee: Euan Goodman (Ipswich). Attendance: 70.

Cruickshank added: “The team battled for 90 minutes. If Scott had scored from the one-on-one in the first half it would have changed the game, but he went for power instead of placing it.

“Most importantly, this result gets us back to winning ways and keeps us up there with the front runners. The March result gave everyone a reality check and everyone responded well.”