Richards shines during a hectic spell for VC Baracchi
- Credit: Archant
Velo Club Baracchi junior rider Lucas He and top senior Mark Richards excelled in another busy week of cycling action, mixing time trials with road racing.
In the Godric CC Tuesday evening time trial Lucas was only one second slower than the winner Iain Robertson of Tri-Anglia, to set a new personal best and club junior record of 22:26. Other VCB times were John Swanbury 25:51, Paul Reed 27:25 and Alex He 27:35.
Lucas went on to win the Great Yarmouth CC club time trial from Lound in 23:12, nearly a minute clear of the nearest opposition, Jonny Hawes of the home club (24:11).
Richards finished second in the Lotus League racing at Hethel, perhaps having worked too hard at the front in the 27mph race to have fresh legs in the finale. The team comprised Richards, Ben Nicholson in his first race for the club, Liam Gentry and Nick Esser.
A day later Richards took second place in the CC Breckland midweek ‘slowest 60 riders’ 10-mile time trial with 20:50 behind Harley Matthews of DAP CC. Esser rode in 22:37 and Chris Womack 24:13.
You may also want to watch:
Richards then took third place in the VC Norwich open 25-mile time trial on the A11 from an East Harling base in 50:50 behind Matthews (49:40) and Matthew Senter of Team VeloVelocity, second in 49:42. Esser set a personal best 55:37 while Paul Hayward rode an impressive 56:07, Womack rode in 59:20 for third place on vet standard (+14:46) and Swanbury recorded 1-00:46.
Jenny Anderson who rides for Great Yarmouth CC but is also a VCB member was delighted with a personal best time of 1-02:16.
- 1 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 2 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 'Give it back' - Man's plea after his moped is stolen
- 5 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 6 'I gave it a good run': Postmistress of 27 years retires due to Covid
- 7 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 8 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 9 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 10 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
Richards went on to take second place by less than half a wheel in the 84-mile Ken Wright Memorial Road Race at Shrub End near Colchester for categories two, three and four, behind Thomas Power of Strada Sport.
He was supported by other good VCB team performances from Liam Gentry, who won the bunch sprint to take seventh place, Charles Jones and Lucas He.
Other VCB riders supported the Beccles Cycle for Life charity ride, organised by Beccles Rotary Club. They included Mike Rainton, Mike Wood, Keith Wink, Ben Nicholson and John Swanbury, with some help with the marshalling from John Thompson. Early rain cleared to enable the 400-plus riders to enjoy some good sunny weather and lovely spring countryside.