Road Runners’ ladies manage to conquer their nerves on club debuts
- Credit: Archant
Nineteen members represented Great Yarmouth Road Runners (GYRR) at the Valentine’s 10k hosted by the Norfolk Gazelles Running Club.
The race was the second in the Leathes Prior Grand Prix series and was also the Norfolk County Championship race for the 10km distance.
A total of 517 runners made the journey to Easton College to take on the undulating road race around the quiet country lanes. Conditions were close to ideal with just a light breeze and even some sunshine to raise the temperature to above the seasonal average.
Race day nerves are present even for the most experienced runners, but a special mention must go to Nadine Baldwin and Fiona Williams who conquered their nerves to take on their first race in club colours.
It was also encouraging to see that all age groups were represented, from the youngest club member, Jasmin Honour, who at 16 is already experiencing a run of success by achieving her second personal best of the year at 10k (49.11) to John Bound, who in the 65 plus group won a bronze county medal.
Other members achieving personal bests included the ever-determined Darren Honour (37.23), Penny Studley (43.32), Emma Dawson (49.03) and Linda Drew (57.43).
Darren and Penny also earned silver county medals for their performances. Returning to form, Lorrain Dawson and Pauline Leeves received a silver and a bronze in their age groups respectively. Both ladies have been battling with ongoing injuries, showing great spirit and determination.
- 1 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 2 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 3 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 4 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 5 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 6 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 7 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 8 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
Full results for the team: 18 Darren Honour 37.23, 32 Marc Evans 38.34, 101 Gary Pillar 42.46, 114 Mark Stone 43.09, 125 Penny Studley 43.22, 138 James Chaplin-Madden 44.44, 224 Jasmin Honour 49.11, 228 Emma Dawson 49.03, 260 Joe Jermy 50.41, 278 Lorrain Dawson 51.39, 282 Julie Webster 51.53, 295 Pauline Leeves 52.23, 360 Rob Bailey 55.46, 389 Linda Drew 57.43, 398 John Bound 57.26, 475 Nadine Baldwin 1.04.58, 476 Fiona Williams 1.05.08, 509 Adele Godbolt 1.11.56 and 510 Anita Betts 1.12.11.