Sanders’ double helps Acle to hard-fought win


- Credit: Archant

Acle United returned from Rivers Park with all three points after a 3-2 win against near neighbours Stalham Town.

Blustery conditions and a bumpy pitch made life difficult for both teams, but it was the A’s who came out on top, with man-of-the-match Hayden Gibbons pulling the strings.

Stalham were the first to show and took the lead when a harmless looking shot went through the grasp of S Foreman in the Acle goal to put the home side in front.

The game was an even contest and Cheese nearly doubled the lead but his shot was well gathered by Foreman.

On 40 minutes Wiley galloped down the right before smacking the ball against the post with the keeper beaten.

Early in the second half the scores were levelled up when the returning James Foreman flicked home a header from a Sanders cross.

Carvalho was a real handful down the Acle left, and after some Portuguese trickery, he cracked the ball against the post. However, Acle went ahead shortly afterwards when Gibbons fed Sanders and after seeing his first effort saved by the keeper he calmly put in the rebound.

Most Read

Cheese should have made the game all square but his effort went the wrong side of the post but Stalham did equalise when Tipple arrived late at the far post.

The winning goal went to Acle as Attree headed on to Sanders who slotted home his second goal of the game. Lewis Crosby had a header well held by Foreman and so United took all three points to send the large number of Acle supporters home happy.

Acle United: S Foreman, L Gibbons, J Foreman, A Faulkes, D Foreman, B Carvalho, H Gibbons, I Morgan, C Wiley, J Attree, A Sanders. Subs all used: B Guyton, H Tooley, Deivydas.

Acle end their season next Friday evening with the Mummery Cup Final against Mulbarton Wanderers at the FDC, Bowthorpe (7.15pm).

Acle Reserves confirmed their status as a Division Two side next season when they secured a 1-1 draw at Martham in midweek.

The hosts deservedly went in front on 15 minutes but Acle got the goal they required on the hour mark when Attree smashed the ball home from 20 yards after good work from Blake Robinson.

The Reserves finish their season with a local derby at Blofield United Reserves on Monday, kick-off 11am.