Skitmore seals Gorleston victory

Magpies V 0 Gorleston 2

The game was a scrappy one though and pretty much even in terms of possession.

Gorleston’s three-man defence of Austin, McDonald and Saunders was superior throughout though and the bottom-of-the-table home side barely mustered a shot on captain King’s goal during the whole game.

Bottom-of-the-table Magpies concentrated their play down their left flank, which tended to congest play into one half of the field and draw players into that side of the pitch. It was no real surprise that Gorleston took the lead from the other side of the pitch.

Crawford was released by Austin and managed to hit the baseline before presenting the ball to Long for a shot on goal.

Long’s shot was saved by the keeper but the rebound only ran to the nearby Hudson to return.

The shot hit a Magpies defender and bobbled along the goal-line with players desperately trying to get their sticks on it and all failed, with the ball eventually creeping over the line.

Most Read

Gorleston did fashion a number of further attempts of goal with Inkley again impressive on the right wing, supported by Vaudin, Long and Pallant in midfield.

Forwards Skitmore and Hudson both harried the Magpies defence into making mistakes but neither could make space for a clear shot.

The second half continued in much the same vein. Magpies were able to clear their defensive lines and prevent more goals from Gorleston, but were unable to make a telling pass in the final third of the pitch.

Gorleston pushed forward and won a number of short corners but were unable to capitalise.

Gorleston did eventually increase their lead when Skitmore’s determination caused a Magpies defender enough problems for him to lose the ball and Skitmore pounced on this, evaded two more defenders to make himself space and deftly reverse-flicked the ball over the advancing Magpies keeper.

Magpies then had the misfortune to lose two players to the sin-bin in quick succession and with nine men, almost caught Gorleston out with a rapid attack down the middle of the park.

Again the final pass was poor and the threat snuffed out by the industrious Gorleston side.

Squad: B King (C), J Austin, A Saunders, K McDonald, D Inkley, R Pallant, S Long, M Vaudin, R Crawford, P Skitmore, N Hudson