Swimmers rally to the cause
SWIMMING: At Leiston on Saturday both Great Yarmouth A and B took part in the first round of the Suffolk Summer League.
The A team finished second, but the B team, with late call-offs and non-attendances, came last despite a gallant effort. Results: Stowmarket 238, Great Yarmouth A 197, Leiston 174, Lowestoft and O/B B 145, Great Yarmouth B 108.
The 10 and under girls took all four events with Atlanta Jarvis winning the 50m freestyle and backstroke, and Jenna Utting the breastroke and fly. Aaron Hudson again contributed valuable points, first in the breastroke and second in the fly. He was well backed up by Joshua Ford with a pb swim for second place in the backstroke.
Lauren James in the 11 and under beat off strong opposition to win the breastroke. Amelia Driver, although swimming strongly, just failed to catch the leader with two second places in backstroke and fly. The best for the boys came from Jack Collins, third in freestyle and fly.
Although Danielle Page gets faster every week at fly she had to be content with second place to a good Stowmarket swimmer, as was her place in the breastroke. Thomas Clarke swam his best yet for a second in the 11 and under backstroke, with a third for Jamie King in the fly.
Adelaide Loveland came third in the 12 and under 100 metres age group, but success was scarce for the girls. The boys found Isaac Kirby in top form with three fine first places in freestyle, breastroke and I/M. James Walker was never far behind for his third place in the backstroke.
All the B team never gave up as was shown by the efforts of Charlie Beck, third in breastroke, and of Bethany Burwood, Loretta Askew and Callum Stannard all of whom swam pbs. Bethany came first in breastroke, Loretta second in backstroke, and Callum third in breastroke.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 4 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 5 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 6 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 7 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 8 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 9 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
To join the Great Yarmouth Swimming Club or for more information please contact Nigel on 01493 377906.